To all those who went to the 2006 Rose Bowl.....

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by White Castle, Dec 9, 2009.

1. White Castle

White Castle 100+ Posts

....against USC, post here whether you plan on returning to see this year's title game. If you are not going this time around also give the reasons why.

I went and saw both the Michigan and USC game, however I lived in San Diego at the time so it was logistically much easier. I'm in Dallas now and debating on whether or not to go. Cost is the primary issue, however part of the slight decrease in motivation is because I can't see the 2006 experience ever being topped.

Having said that (gotta love CYE), I still really want to go and am curious as to what everyone else's thoughts are.

2. 4Horns

4Horns 100+ Posts

I did not go in 2005, but I did go in 2006. It is the greatest sporting event I have ever seen and one of the most memorable nights of my life. I am planning to go back, but unlike 2006, I am looking for tickets on the open market.

2010 cannot top 2006, but a championship is still a championship, and always worth witnessing.

3. oak forest horn

oak forest horn 100+ Posts

No way it tops 2006. That was 35 years of pent up frustration ready to cut loose. I was there and saw grown men cry. (Yes I was one of them too). It means alot. The girl one row below me cried that her dad had passed away before the season and didn't get to see it happen.

With all that said, I did not get tickets this year, so i will not be going to Pasadena. Had I been one of the fortunate one to recieve a ticket I would be there. If someone wants to sell me a ticket for $500, I will be there.

In 2006 while walking around the RoseBowl someone offered me $1500 for my ticket. I chuckled a little and told him he needed to add a zero for me to think about it.

In 2006 money was no object, in 2010, it is

4. horn section

horn section 100+ Posts

I went to the 2006 RB. I drove a box truck with Big Bertha in it for the parade. Not sure if I am going this year because the band hasn't called yet. If they need it taken out there again I will be going again. It was perfect in 2006 I got paid to go and a free ticket to the greatest game ever. Hopefully it will pan out again this year. [​IMG]

5. H-D Rider

H-D Rider 1,000+ Posts

/
    Same as Oak Forest... Don't know about tickets yet, but NO way it tops 2006! If I score tickets I'll probably go, but the business is in the tank so I have to plan accordingly!

[​IMG]

6. bevo barry

bevo barry 500+ Posts

I was at both the 2005 and 2006 RB games...and I will be there for this one. I plan to be on the RB grounds by 0900, cracking open my first Coors Light by 0905. I'm getting on up there (age 58), so who knows how many more opportunities I will have to see the Horns play for the title in person. Though I had bought ticket options for this game through theTicket Reserve (now Team Ticket Reservations) back in January, thus saving me from having to pay way over face, if I had not done that I would be going to eBay or StubHub and bending over and taking it up the wazoo financially...whatever it takes to see and support our boys in person. [​IMG]

7. UT Fanatic

UT Fanatic 25+ Posts

Cost is the biggest factor. Sorry, but $1K per ticket when you're buying two plus airfare is way too much.

I had a free ticket in 2006. Drove from Austin with some friends and saw the Fiesta Bowl on the way and stayed at one of their relative's house in Phoenix and in Pasadena.

I seriously doubt that experience will EVER be topped!

I was away from my family to celebrate the last one, so I'm looking forward to being with them to celebrate on January 7, 2010!

8. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

I was at both and am going again this year...paid a good price to be sitting in the stadium, but priorities are priorities...

9. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

Went to the first two, going to this one, will go to any in the future. Had tix through LF the first two times, gonna get prison-raped this time, but whatever...

10. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

Went to both RoseBowls-

Even though nothing will ever top 2006 I don't think it's a reason to skip this one. That being said- finances will prevent me from going this year. Sadly- money is a reason to not go.

11. LongLiveBevo

LongLiveBevo 250+ Posts

I didn't go to the first one, went to the second one with $1150 tickets x4, and am going this year with LHF tickets.

12. MidTexHorn

MidTexHorn 100+ Posts

Went to the 2006 game. Paid $700 for my single endzone ticket on Ebay. Took my two boys, but they stayed at the tailgate and partied while I went into the game. This year I'm taking one of my boys (the other is in Iraq unfortunately) and my brother. We have the hotel, flights and car reserved, but unless the market comes down we won't be able to afford tickets. We'll just party on the golf course. Frankly, I think my kids had more fun tailgating last time than I did inside the game.

13. bevo98

bevo98 < 25 Posts

I went in 05 and swore that if we went the following year that I'd be there. I went in 06 and swore that I would never miss a chance to watch UT play for a championship. I'll be there this year for sure.

Like many on this thread, it will cost me more this year. I paid face value for my tickets the last two times. I paid market price this year for four tickets in section 6. They weren't cheap. However, I do buy my airfare and reserve my rooms months in advance, so at least I'm not paying too much for those items.

14. chitwood

chitwood 250+ Posts

went to the first two and will be going to this one. Don't have tickets yet, but I will get them one way or the other. It's for the national championship--no way I'm missing it, although I understand those that can't make it for cost reasons.

15. hornlong

hornlong 25+ Posts

Ferris (on the Ferrari): "I love driving it. It is so choice. If you have
    the means I highly recommend picking one up."

There in 06 and picking one up in 10 .

16. gdu

gdu 1,000+ Posts

Went in 2005 and 2006 and will be going again this year. Money is tighter than it was in 2006, but this is a priority for my family.

17. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I went in 2005 and 2006. I have seen most big games UT has been in since the early sixties. I just squeaked in under the cut-off in 2006, but not even close this time. I can't go out and pay what people are asking for the BCS game tickets.
    So I'm beating the bushes for tix, but not very optimistic about finding any.
    Would hate to miss this game, but the economics of it may not be possible. It's depressing.

18. tsquar

tsquar 250+ Posts

We were there in '05 & '06 and plan to be there this time. The thrill of those two wins is hard to describe. Both Michigan and Texas fans were in shock after the Longhorn victory, but winning against USC was absolutely the sweetest. I'm looking forward to this trip back to the RB as much as I did the previous two.
    [​IMG]

19. bullzak

bullzak 500+ Posts

I was at the 1970 Cotton Bowl vs. ND
    I was at the 2006 Rose Bowl.
    I am going out to fetch another national championship this year.

1400 on the goal line last time and it was the best money I ever spent. Nothing could top that. But I am willing to try.

The venue has a lot to do with it. Rose Bowl is a special place to watch some football.

20. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

I was there for Michigan and USC. I'll be there again this year. No tickets yet, but I'm not willing to admit that there are 100,000 people who want to go to this game more than I do.

Bernard

21. joebevo

joebevo 25+ Posts

I went to both rose bowls and am still considering this one. I flew in the morning of USC game and flew right out the next morning. Will be planning to do the same this time too. But like some, cost of game ticket is definitely and issue. I'm about 50/50.

22. sylvester

sylvester 25+ Posts

Went to both. Stayed in a small boutique hotel by the beach and was checking out after the Michigan game...The lady at the front desk asked if there was anything else she could do for me, was there anything that didn't meet my expectations... the "your going to get a questionnaire about your stay with us" dialogue...I said nope everything was great no complaints. I was standing there and it dawned on me that the BCS championship game was there next year... so I said ya know the national championship game is here next year, go ahead and book the same room again....she got really excited and said I could cancel the room 48hrs in advance. The next year I go to check in and the it's the same lady and she's pumped up and she said " I been telling everyone about the U.T. fans who booked the same room last year I'm so happy I was on duty to check you in again....I'm cheering for the Longhorns this year!!
    Were in the same hotel this year so maybe the third time will also be a lucky charm....now if I could only remember what underwear I had on!

23. 78horn

78horn < 25 Posts

I was there in 2005 & 2006. Like most, I have a hard time believing those games can be topped; but this year has its own significance for our family. I am taking wife & UT graduate daughter plus sons currently attending Bama. This will be a trip for our family to remember for a long time.

Hook'em

24. MaceHorn

MaceHorn 100+ Posts

Michigan - YES
    SoCal - YES
    Bama - YES

Can't wait.

25. cstanley

cstanley 25+ Posts

Michigan - yes
    USC - yes
    Bama - yes

Had LHF tickets in '05 and '06. Missed the cutoff this year, but have a friend from Pasadena that is selling me his pair of tickets. Hook 'em

26. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

I went to both the Michigan and USC games. However I will not be going this year. Am now the sole caretaker of an 86 year old dementia patient and all of the proper planning in the world never prepares anyone for the staggering costs associated with this. With that said, I watched her work 2 and 3 jobs to raise three sons by herself; two of whom I have watched her bury. She sacrificed much more than going to a football game for us. I am grateful that I am in the position to return the favor.

The Rose Bowl is not a "must win". World War II was a "must win".
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

27. 4Horns

4Horns 100+ Posts

GREAT POST !!!

28. runvincerun

runvincerun 100+ Posts

Went in 2006 & I'm going this year because I love my Horns. It's gonna cost but you only live once, ENJOY IT! [​IMG]

29. lawyerlarry

lawyerlarry < 25 Posts

I went in 06, went to Big 12 titles each year. Will not go this year, as much as anything because of a "been there done that" feel to this game. 06 was 35 years of waiting and hoping and finally beating OU. Shockingly same circumstances this year as 06.

30. 4_Horns_4_Life

4_Horns_4_Life < 25 Posts

I went to both 2005 & 2006 Rose Bowl games & sure plan to make it this year. I bought plane tickets before the ohio st. game in 2005 & before the ou game this year.

Unfortunately, I did not make the LF cutoff this year so I am looking for tickets. I cried with many others after 2006 Rose Bowl. The Eyes of Texas was so loud. I do not expect to ever match the feeling after the 2006 Rose Bowl, but I will always support the Horns!

The video below will help those who did not make it get a small glimse of the feeling...I apologize for the poor video quality.
    RoseBowl_Priceless