To all those who went to the 2006 Rose Bowl.....

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by White Castle, Dec 9, 2009.

1. laidbackex

laidbackex 25+ Posts

I was at the Cotton Bowl in 1977 when we lost the national championship to Notre Dame.

I was at the Cotton Bowl in 1983 when we lost the national championship to Georgia.

I was there when we beat Michigan in the Rose Bowl in 2004. I never thought we'd get to go back. Even went to the Rose Bowl Parade that day - the band was great but the parade was not.

I was at the Rose Bowl when we won in 2005. The greatest sporting event I've ever seen. I'm not sure its possble to ever have a better day.

Yelladawgdem, I greatly admire you for what you're doing. Good things will come your way.

2. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Me, brother & sons attended the 2005 RB victory over Michigan. Outside of seeing the 1970 CB win over ND for the NC, it was my biggest game winning experience of all the UT games I have attended. [​IMG]

For economic reasons we cannot attend the 2010 BCS NC but we will be yelling our asses off at home! [​IMG]

3. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

I was there for the 2005 and 2006 Rose Bowls. I swore then I would never miss another chance to see Texas in that venue, it's so special and rare, and I will be there for this one too. But for those who can't make it, I'll admit a certain regret in 2006 of not seeing the reaction of the city of Austin (where I live) when we beat USC. I think that must have been a special experience too (the traffic jam on MoPac as people drove to see the Tower, the midnight lines to get into the Co-Op and Academy, etc.).

4. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy 100+ Posts

Went in 2006 thanks to being a December 2005 graduate, and having several friends that were too. Got my ticket from my girlfriend at the time (ex a few months after, whew). We stayed in Vegas and drove down with three friends who also got tickets. Spent $50 gambling, $150 on the ticket, and $200 or so on the hotel and round trip flight. Four years later I am racking up law school debt, so yeah money is the issue here.

5. ShatyUT

ShatyUT 100+ Posts

I went in 2006. Couldn't get the money or tickets in 2005 but would've gone if I could. I am going this year too. I went to the Fiesta Bowl last year too.

I don't care whether or not this game may top 2006. Our Texas Longhorns are playing for a National Championship!!!!! I will make an attempt to go to every bowl game and hopefully at least one away regular season game (I also am lucky enough to live in Austin and have 4 season tickets) no matter how good or bad the competition. If you are a fan who is willing to travel at all, then you should feel the same. We need all the fans out there we can get!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. CaptainBevo

CaptainBevo 25+ Posts

I'll be there this year, and I was there in '06 when Texas beat The Greatest College Football Team of All Time. Maybe I dreamed it, but I think I saw Reggie Bush ask Vince to autograph his Heisman Trophy for him.

Two days after the game, I got married back in Houston. My wife (then fiancee) had set the date in March or April, at which time I warned her that it was just a couple of days after the National Championship game, and that if we went, I'd be there. I think she felt like it was a pretty safe bet after five straight losses to the semi-pro squad from Norman, so she agreed. My flight landed in Houston about three hours before the rehearsal dinner.

This year the game is on our anniversary. We'll take care of that once I return from Pasadena.

7. ShatyUT

ShatyUT 100+ Posts

8. GardnerMS

GardnerMS 25+ Posts

While this technically doesn't count:

2005 Lived in Austin, watched Rose Bowl @ home
    2006 Lived in Austin, watched Rose Bowl @ Alamo Drafthouse
    2007 Lived in Columbus, OH and watched Holiday Bowl @ friends house (was in Austin @ the time)
    2008 We moved back to Austin, Watched Fiesta Bowl @ Alamo Drafthouse.. Was first in line.
    2009 Still living in Austin, have already purchased passes to guarantee seats @ the theatre @ Alamo DraftHouse... Will try to be first in line again..

I apologize for the non-BCS bowl game in 2007.. But I was relocated to Ohio shortly after the MNC game... Moved in June.

Didn't move back to Austin until AFTER the TTU game.. I apologize for my timing..

Hook 'em,
    mG

9. L-I-V-I-N

L-I-V-I-N < 25 Posts

Didn't go to the Rose vs Michigan, but was there for the championship vs USC and will be there for the championship vs Bama. Don't think the first one can be beat, but you never know. We'll just have to see how the game turns out.

10. Pericles

Pericles 1,000+ Posts

Matt,

Will you be down on the sidelines this year?

11. wearorange

wearorange 100+ Posts

1970 versus Notre Dame with my dad and grandfather who died later that year
    1983 Georgia
    2005 Michigan
    2006 USC with my Dad 36 years later
    2010 with my son and wife who couldn't go in 06 (Dad too frail to make it this time - so grateful for 06 regardless)

12. Tailgate

Tailgate 500+ Posts

Going and going. Can't miss games like this. What '06 stories are made of.

13. UTFan2

UTFan2 250+ Posts

I went to both Rose Bowl games. Both were great. NOTHING beats the 2006 Rose Bowl. Nothing. [​IMG]

I am not going this year. No way to justify the expense, even if I had the money, which I don't after being laid off in March and still not finding a good paying job.

I would have sold my car to go to the '06 Rose Bowl if I had to. I am glad I went cuz had I not...I would be in a frenzy about not being able to go this year.

14. Pericles

Pericles 1,000+ Posts

They are playing, aren't they . . . ?