Todd Dodge cautions Texas about starting QB Quinn Ewers too soon

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by moondog_LFZ, Jan 27, 2022.

1. bishophorn

bishophorn 500+ Posts

Thanks moondog, you answered that question exactly like I would.

2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I kinda' like that. It's not going on a permanent playlist or anything, but it was different and cool.

3. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

That's a floor. It doesn't preclude any OL from other individual NIL deals on top.

Good. Flaker Mayfold is a deluxe turd.

4. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Bubba, I actually think it's hard to compare a high school senior to college players. Just my 2 cents

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Bubba is right re: the "Rich" in college football.

IMO, NIL will virtually destroy the whole concept of college student-athlete.

Be skilled enough and decent enough grades / entrance exams to earn a sports scholarship to college. Get a degree while you play your sport maybe get an opportunity to go pro.

Potentially the landscape has or will dramatically change with the NIL.

College football becomes in effect some form of a minor league camp for the NFL. Scholarships and going to class become far less important. Not happy with your playing time? - portal dude!!

Sadly, a college degree becomes minimized / non - important for many.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
  6. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Bubba- I know I’m treading on thin ice with the “I know a guy” bit… but this is true.
    A friend’s son played at OU when Mike Stoops and Venables were there and I told him I wouldn’t play for M Stoops as he yelled at at least one player EVERY play. Always 1/2 yard on the field loosing his ****. It got old quick.
    He told me that Venables was actually much worse. I do hope Dabo changed him. Also he is so emotionally weak that Clemson had a coach assigned to keep him off the field- physically grabbing his belt loops.
    That’s not passion, that’s a lack of emotional discipline.

4F5DF658-2655-4CA3-AE52-971D709B0733.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  7. WorsterMan

Wow ! Interesting intell on Coach V.

Maybe as HC at ou he will calm somewhat and let his assistants do the major ***-chewings....

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. WorsterMan

Speaking of coach ***-chewings...

Having played in Jr. High & HS. I believe me and my teammates played harder for coaches that respected us and we respected... didn't do frequent & major *** chewings.

Coaches that constantly criticized and generally did not respect us were mostly feared and we played harder to not get our asses chewed out than anything else...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  9. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

We will see in October. I think the difference in mike and Brent is Brent builds the relationship where you can go hard at them like that. 20 years ago he was a stoops protege. He merged that fire with some soul. I’ve noticed two big things. One there is this is embrace of hard work with Jerry Schmidt by the players. They have brought in 5-7 former players who retired from the league as supplemental staff who can talk firsthand about what Schmidt did to prepare them for the league. Second, I have seen some significant DL interest that we are getting in recruiting that we didn’t have in the past. Our DL has been a weakness in the last decade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Roy Williams was hiding from mike stoops after the Superman play because he knew he was gonna get an *** chewing for leaving his feet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I hear you Worster,
    When it’s all *** chewing I think that’s detrimental to the psyche of the majority of people. I do agree that a really stern correction is needed at specific times.
    There comes a point where people freeze up rather than act in confidence.
    This is a sore subject with me as a emotionally and mentally weak coach resulted in me walking away from football.
    The company I work for had a VP that was cut from the same cloth. Train wreck that had several failed relationships and regularly cheated on his wife. I saw top talent leave to go to our competitors and quickly move into executive leadership roles. Three in particular have been at the same organization for 20+ years, however this one “boy who shaves VP” was a detriment to the success of the company.
    I saw OU players leave for the draft early at OU, while some did at UT but from my memory not at the same clip.
    I think men who regularly loose control are unfit to lead.
    Contrary to Hollywood- the best leadership I’ve seen was in the USMC. The successful leaders at every rank don’t lead by constantly instilling fear .

• Like Like x 1
  12. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Its the emotional bank account concept. I have explained this to a co-worker and even my kids. Every interaction you have with someone could be either a deposit, or a withdrawal.
    If you are constantly criticizing and ***-chewing, but never showing a genuine interest in helping them, you are just making withdrawals. Eventually you will overdraft with that person and its over. Good luck getting them back on your side.

I have had coaches and bosses who were demanding, and tough, even made a habit of crossing a line, but it was all good because their balance was always in the black.

I don't see Venebles and M Stoops being of the same cloth there. (M stoops being an irredeemable stoops)

• Like Like x 1
  13. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

The compliment sandwich.

14. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Well shoot- this is what I was trying to say.
    You said it better

15. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Can't disagree with that statement at all. I'm curious how this plays out during bowl season. Since players are now getting paid, clearly by supporters of the university, it makes me wonder when the super stud RB decides to sit out a bowl game how long will it take the bankroll to say...nah, we're paying you so you're playing.