Tokyo

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by longhrnfan, Feb 26, 2008.

1. longhrnfan

longhrnfan 500+ Posts

Where do I go? What do I see? Suggestions for any japanese style places to stay? I'm only there for like 48 hours.

2. DeadHorse

DeadHorse 1,000+ Posts

Stay in a Ryokan:

The Link

They are vintage Japanese style hotels.

3. TxEx84

TxEx84 100+ Posts

I travel frequently to Tokyo for business. I love the city. It's not like a European city with lots of tourist attractions, because we did a good job of leveling the city in WWII. What's great about Tokyo is the people. Nicest people I've ever met. It's a quirky culture mixed between very traditional and ultra modern.

The best things to do are people watch. If you are there for just a short time, the JR Yamanote Line makes a circle around the city and all of the below are along this line. A few areas I love to go include:

Yoyogi Park on a Sunday -- young people flock to this area. The sidewalks are lined with bands playing. Teenage girls dressed as French maids, cats, Little Bo Peep. Go figure.

Meiji Shrine -- next to Yoyogi Park

Shinjuku Train Station -- One of the largest in the world. A crush of people moving in all directions. Fun to watch.

Shibuya -- Along Yamanote Train Line (JR). Center of fashion for young people in Tokyo.

Imperial Place -- near Tokyo Station. Cannot go in except just two days a year, but area around palace is nice.

Ueno Park -- if you are there late March/early April, the cherry blossoms are in bloom. A great excuse for the Japanese to drink heavliy (actually, pretty much everything is an excuse for them to drink).

Fantastic restaurants all over the city. The Japanese care greatly about quality of food, just not quantity.