Tom Brady to the....Cowboys?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by BevoJoe, Feb 9, 2020.

1. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I’m not sure Dak is the answer, but neither is a 20-year veteran.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, I don't see it happening. The Dallas O line isn't good enough to provide him adequate pass-pro. Like pointed out above, probably just more of Irvin's crack speak.

5. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

So Michael, any of these "Significant People" really the Joneses? If not, it doesn't matter.

6. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

aren't they both free agents right now? Not sure why there would be a trade.

7. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Dallas won’t let Dak go. Ain’t going to happen.

Could they go deep into the playoffs with Brady as their QB? Probably..

8. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Cowboys have two more years of control

9. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Trade Prescott? Unless it is to the stupid society on Kirby or Danny Boy, no other team is dumb enough to offer more than a second team LB plus maybe a 6th round pick, but none of that would happen unless Jones eats that contract.

10. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Only if the Dallas GM unexplainably goes missing....

11. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I wouldn't have given Zeke the money and I don't think I would give Prescott his.
    But Jones is and always (I think?) will be a salesman/marketing guy 1st so he will almost always show the marketable guys the dough.
    Kraft and Belichek do not, so....

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  12. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

Brady is a free agent. Why would a trade be necessary?

13. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

The scenarios I've read don't mention trading for Brady, just trading for picks to get their next QB. One of them was a trade with Cinn for their #1 this year. And then signing Brady and letting that new QB sit behind him for a year or two.

14. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Let's break this down. The Dallas Cowboys had a very good roster this past year. Dak, Zeke, Amari, Gallup and the O-line. They had D Lawrence, Quinn, Smith, Jones and others on defense. If Dak were an elite quarterback worth that kind of money they would have made the playoffs. Fair or unfair, the failure sticks to the QB.

The Dallas Cowboys are stuck paying players as if they won a Super Bowl. THEY DIDN'T EVEN MAKE THE PLAYOFFs!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. RainH2burntO

Good take...here's my take on Dak and Amari both.
    If there is something internally known about a difference in strategy or playcalling in regards to away games and tougher opponents that may hinder these two unfairly, then get it out there and vindicate them. If not, then neither is worth top tier money, because neither showed the consistency and ability to rise to the occasions when it mattered most and that is what justifies top tier money. Dak underperforms against tougher opponents and AC disappears on the road. If I was JJ and I wanted Dak I'd tell him you're being tagged and if you play better and win against better competition this year you'll have your fat payday next. And Amari accepts 2nd tier money for disappearing acts or walks. No need to break the bank with next level player money for guys who can't do the things to get you to the next level.
    None of the recent Super Bowl contestants got there that way.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  16. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

To me this is more about culture and Karma, and less about Dak and others. Their roster and their players are — and have been — more than adequate to compete for a championship many of the 25 or so years that Dallas has not done so.

Fix the culture/coaching (and they may have) and they’ll be in the conversation — in late January — most years.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Dak probably isn't worth elite QB money, but when his offense he leads the NFL for a season, he can demand that level of pay. The outstanding question was the failure to make the playoffs on the scheme/play calling or the QB? A lot of "eyeball" evidence says yes on the scheme/play calling.

A lot of the eyeball evidence says Zeke was the biggest failure as he did not run with authority after receiving the new contract. There is a question even with that - was Zeke's issue not being in camp when the offense was installed or di he take the position that he has his money so the team can go to hell?

Amari? Looks like he spent 4 years playing receiver at Texas - if he cannot separate at the LoS he is nothing more than just another receiver.

Bottom line, we will know the answers this time next year.

• Like Like x 1
  18. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

They were cooked when they met Elliott's contact demands or Jones stupidity....now they are stuck and Brady isn't a way out!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I don't believe Mike McCarthy can get them to the SB or win one. Atleast, not with Dak and Zeke. They might make the playoffs, but that's about it. He won one in GB and made it to the playoffs frequently with Aaron Rogers at QB, made the playoffs 10 seasons, won one SB, but his first and last 2 seasons were stinkers. Dak ain't no Aaron Rodgers. and from what I've seen of his play, he's got a long way to go to be close. But, we'll see how it all pants out starting in September.

20. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

You think Miami would trade both picks for Dak? I think they want a QB.

21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yes, if it is the 6th and 7th pick and Jones agrees to pay. 80% of his salary until Miami cuts him.

22. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Dak is looking at what Kirk Cousins, Case Keenum, and Jimmy Garropolo got paid. The problem is that he's on the same level talent wise that they are.

23. RainH2burntO

The real question for me isn't how much you pay Dak (not quite as much as he wants) or where Brady could go, if anywhere (nowhere..he's staying in Boston)...
    No, the real question is why would anyone in their right mind pay any attention whatsoever to what Michael Irvin says...ever?!?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

BINGO!!! Winner!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. RainH2burntO

Duke....Don't start talking coaching/culture again. We might get crossways...or, who knows, we may find out we agree!
    :beertoast:

26. RainH2burntO

I'll add this in response to your post and just the subject in general...
    There has been nothing in recent years that says "Super Bowl" to me about the Cowboys.
    You nailed it....look at super Bowl contenders and winners. Just something about the culture.....its > just having talent....lots of teams have the talent.
    You've got to have the SuperBowl-winning culture and mentality and I just dont see it in Dallas and frankly have a real hard time seeing it in Dak. So far he has done nothing to show he can go out and play with elite teams and exert his will... and, unlike some other players of that type who have made it to or won Super Bowls, he isnt surrounded by the type of culture/team/organization to make up for any deficiencies he may have.
    I hope this changes and he and the team find a new identity and ceiling.

27. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

On top of what DS an Rain said, there is a season worth of evidence that Zeke isn't going to be the same back that he was in his first 2 years. Money does strange things to the hunger of a pro football player.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

But what is interesting Vipe is those players for whom it is success rather than money that motivate them.
    Yea maybe it is because they already have money
    but as Obama pointed out some already have enough money.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  29. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I like Dak, and I think the numbers show that most of last year's problems were not on him. I don't think he's worth $35M a year. Not sure anybody is, really, because that type of salary (esp if they want to pay Zeke and Amari big too) will kill your ability to build a quality team top to bottom.

Dallas has a huge amount of cap room so they can probably get away with it for a year or two, but then it's gonna bite them in the bum hard. If they give out that kind of money they must expect McCarthy to be able to take them to the top right away.

The OL is really good when they are all healthy, that just only seems to happen about 3 games out of the year.

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020