Tom Clancy novels OK for an 11 year old?

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by Orange&White, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Orange&White

Orange&White 1,000+ Posts

My son reads A LOT. He has pretty much burned through every series that interests him from his age group and higher. The other day he mentioned that he just started his second Clancy book and it kinda threw me for a loop. He is very mature and all, and I have no clue about Clancy novels, so I am seeking the parenting advice of HornFans. Anything particularly bad about these books that I should keep him from reading them?

2. Fievel121

Fievel121 2,500+ Posts

Don't let him read "Without Remorse." It is almost entirely about prostitutes, drug use, pimp, and torture.

The rest of his books are probably okay if he is pretty mature for his age. Think of them like rated R James Bond movies. There is plenty of violence in everybook, but except for "Without Remorse," I don't think there is anything I wouldn't let my 12 year old daughter read.

I will say you should be pretty proud if he can make it through those, they are some pretty complicated plots.

3. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

4. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

Agree with Fievel. If he can read that well, let him go for it except for that one.

5. LonghornJesus

LonghornJesus 25+ Posts

Definitely let him read Tom Clancy's novels. I think I read Rainbow Six and Patriot Games around that age (12 to 13ish).

6. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

Without Remorse is one of the best books... but I agree, the themes tend to be much darker than the other Clancy books. Sex and drugs... and lots of up close and personal assassinations.

If he sticks to the foundation of the Ryan books, he'll be fine (Patriot Games, Red October, Cardinal of the Kremlin, etc). Depending on how hardcore he is, he could give Red Storm Rising a try. I think I red it around that age. It is an in depth WWIII scenario which can be pretty dry unless you are into that kind of thing. I think there is only one sexual situation in the book, but I don't believe it is very graphic or heavy.

7. HornHawk

HornHawk 250+ Posts

If you're going to start him on Clancy, have him start with Hunt for Red October, because it is much shorter than his other books and you can see whether he has an interest for that genre and style of writing.

8. Orange&White

Orange&White 1,000+ Posts

Thanks for the replies.

I did not come up with the idea for him to read the books. He informed me that he was on his second book (not sure of the names) and that he planned to read all of them.

Although I have never read any of them, I was pretty sure I had a good idea of what they were about and was OK with him continuing, but just wanted some backup opinions from people who had actually read them and could offer up details.

Thanks again

9. KC-97HORN

KC-97HORN 500+ Posts

I may be late to this thread, but I read Red October in 1986, when I was 12. Of course having a Colonel for a father kind of forced those kinds of books on you.

Its too bad he already started the books, because starting with Patriot Games would actually be a good move chronologically. But Red October, and Cardinal both were much better books than Patriot Games, IMO

10. BrothaHorn

BrothaHorn 1,000+ Posts

If it's not too late for me to add my thoughts..I agree about 'Remorse' maybe being a lil strong for an 11 y/o. However, all other Clancy books are fair game. If he's into Clancy, he might also like Stephen Coonts and Harold Coyle.

11. MirrOlure

MirrOlure 500+ Posts

Whatever you do, don't let him read "The Bear and the Dragont". And I don't say this because of the stupid Chinese ***** who was obsessed with some dude's "sausage".

Don't let him read it because it is long, riddled with ridiculous subplots, and, well, is a steaming pile of crap.

12. Fievel121

Fievel121 2,500+ Posts

Well, now I've thinking about this for a week, so I'm going to have to go to Half Price books tonight to get "Without Remorse." Hopefully I can find it in harback for cheap. I've read it twice already, so I might as well.

On a side note, I used to have more interesting Friday nights. I'm not sure what happened.....