Tom needs to part with his friends

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Horns or Nothing, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Horns or Nothing

Horns or Nothing < 25 Posts

Sam plays with heart every game. The O is just tired of carrying the D. The solution is obvious, Tom needs to fire his friends and hire people who earned the right to coach the Horns. Lets start the firing with the special teams coach and D coord.Then Tom needs to call the plays. Then lets see what happens.

2. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Did any of the staff get new deals once Herman got his extension? I thought all the staff signed 3 year deals.

3. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

We have one of these? Like, somebody is getting paid to do this?

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Hot Hot x 2
  4. longhrnfan

longhrnfan 500+ Posts

All on 1 year deals.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  5. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

Maybe Herman can have tryouts for special teams coordinator from Hornfans. Kinda like a preferred walk-on or GA position. I bet he could get a good deal on salary ( but not too good a deal).

6. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

I bet there'll be some GDGD references before this thread is through!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

The hiring authority clearly misunderstood the "special" part of the job title...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

How long are we stuck with Herman ? Why does Texas always sign extensions before the coach proves they are worth a damn ?
    Hell, A&M fired their coach for losing 4 regular season games, and we give ours a freaking raise and extension ??? WTH ?..Now he is going to lose 6 or 7....Lets give him another raise !!!!!!!! SMDH

• poop poop x 2
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  9. zuckercanyon

Can you at least wait until Texas loses 6 or 7 before you lose your mind?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The head coach generally will get an initial 5 years plus a rolling 2-year extension after year 3. The reason is for recruiting continuity - hard to recruit when the HC doesn't have a contract that doesn't equal or exceed the player's expected time at the school. Also, it takes away one negative recruiting issue.

Assistants should never get more than one year. A fact, unfortunately, that was proven by Patterson and Strong. It can be a rolling 1 year with a notice period.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

MajesticII you really are over the top in your knee jerk reactions. Coaching a College Football Team is not like building a spec home whereby you follow a blue print and it goes up in a known amount of time with little to no complications. It simply does not work that way. I am loosing patience with you. Chill, this was a huge mess when TH started we were 16-21 the 3 years before he became coach. We are 22-13 since he began. We have Eagles, Whittington, Sterns, Foster, McCollugh, and Overshown coming back for the 11/9 game against KSU. 6 Really valuable starters at S, WR/RB, LB/S. Not having these 6 starters the last 3 games + hurt our chances greatly and relates back to how "vanilla" play calling was. TH was protecting Sam, protecting the Defense, and trying to "hang on" until these stars got back in the line up.

Sheesh!

:hookem2:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sumlin didn't have any issues (and his D is ranked only 2 spots behind Texas').

upload_2019-10-29_9-25-12.png

13. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

So, when we get all the injured starters back, if Texas beats KSU but in a struggle to do so, will that prove all the "haters" (sarcasm) wrong, or prove the "pumpers" (sarcasm) correct?

If the starters are all as good as everyone has said all along, shouldn't we handle them pretty easily? Or is KSU suddenly so good, that a win is win is a win?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. NM fan

NM fan 25+ Posts

Negative in my opinion. These guys need to get back into football shape for one. I think this year is set up for an average bowl game, and play spoiler for some hopefully. Just hoping recruits don’t get short sighted on this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

So you are saying Herman was playing NOT TO LOSE protecting the defense, Sam, and our RBs with a vanilla offense...(putting even more pressure on our injury riddled defense). Makes a lot of sense. Great coaching strategy. Sorry for my knee jerk reactions. Guess we will see a wide open offense and smothering defense vs KSU. Ready to win out and play OU in the CCG again.

16. horninchicago

Yes, I have said that a few times about not being in football shape. I agree.

• Like Like x 1
  17. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

KSU I don't care how we win. Just win. But if we get all these guys back and still lose, then there are no excuses. No reasons to not win out. We have better athletes than any teams we will play so if we don't win it's coaches and scheme. Will every one then agree with that? I'm in sales. If I have a better product I sure as hell better win. Sometimes I can't win because even though I have superior products, they cost more. But that doesn't apply here. Only variable is how our team plays. Some things are not avoidable like costly turnovers. But if you are far superior in talent you should be able to survive a costly turnover. We survived 2 against OSU. So let's get the guys back and then see what we have. But if we lose 2 more games and go 7-5 TH needs to be on the hot seat. No excuse for that. Hopefully we get it back together and finish strong. There's just no excuse to lose to Baylor. They were 1-11 when we were 7-6. If they truly are better, than they have a better coach. It's as simple as that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. zuckercanyon

Honestly I don’t care if we win the last 4 games by kicking a last second game winning field goal. Because it’s a w. Did Oklahoma handle kstate easily? There’s some kind of standard you’re setting that’s not going to be reached this season, period. Enjoy yourself being disappointed. An ugly win is better than a spectacular beautiful loss. I’d buy in if there were no major injuries and our original starters the best players were running around looking confused. But it’s the backups including true freshman that are going to look confused regardless of who is coaching them. It’s unreal to me the expectations out there. Like here are the facts of the situation. Nope fake news. Ok then....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  19. horninchicago

I went back and re-read my post. I didn't set a standard, so I'm not sure where you got that. I asked in different scenarios what people would think and who would be correct.

20. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

This is what you probably get:
    [​IMG]

HERMAN at the Little Bighorn.

• Like Like x 1
  21. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Agree Zucker. Like your post(s).

• Like Like x 1
  22. zuckercanyon