Tom’s school of thought..

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by SAMMCHornfan, Sep 9, 2018.

1. SAMMCHornfan

SAMMCHornfan 250+ Posts

follows the same line as Mack did back in the day. When Chis Sims was a Junior, he refused to let Applewhiite go in to provide a spark no matter how bogged down the offense got. Looks like the same thing this year even if they have a seasoned veteran on the bench. I just can’t see Sam being the outright best option for this team. At least give Shane a shot during game action.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TxnByBirth

TxnByBirth 1,000+ Posts

I had less of an issue with him leaving in Sam last night than I did during the Maryland game. Sam actually played pretty well. He kept the ball a bit too much on the read option handoffs, but other than that played a pretty efficient game.

Play calling and Herman's abject loathing of having to answer the "know-nothing" media's questions about QB shuffling is what's driving this thing. He is not to be questioned about such things.

• Like Like x 1
  3. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

he can't give Shane a shot during game action the same reason Mack wouldn't give Major a shot when Simms was in. You do that, Shane has a good series/touchdown, then everyone yells see there we told ya, then you have controversy. Right now, it's what Shane MIGHT do, rather than what he did. This team still has a lot to play for, so I don't think you put Shane in until the hopes for the season are gone. Then Shane can play all he wants....That's going to enrage a lot of Sam-hater/Shane-supporters, but I'm starting to understand the concept of "pick your qb and stick with that decision" mindset, for continuity and keeping the team together and focused. I think of James Brown vs Shea Morenz……..while that was going on, some players would hang on the bench with JB and others with SM.....not going to get into who was with who, but it didn't do any favors to the football team....

• Like Like x 1
  4. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Actually, since Mack Brown wanted to win every game unlike Herman, Mack did switch to Major against Colorado and started Major against Washington. Even though Vince was the guy, before he had developed, Mack brought in Chance Mock to WIN the games against Tech and Missouri rather than have a not fully developed Vince Young take those losses.

Mack WOULD switch qbs. Herman is a dang hardhead who refuses to make the switch and would rather lose to Maryland or Tech than stop his hardheadedness.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Some rays of sunshine from IT --

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  6. zuckercanyon

Well when you put it like that.....

7. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

DKR would also switch QBs, and sometimes switch back. Plagiarizing what BadShortGame wrote in another post, “Royal was not averse to making quarterback changes during games, and did this with some frequency. Inserting Johnny Genung in the great 4th quarter comeback against Arkansas in ’62 and Tommy Wade for Duke Carlisle against A&M in ‘63 are a couple of examples.”

• Like Like x 2
  8. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I thought this was gonna be about TH turning down chip shot field goals.

If we were a running team like Bama or Georgia, maybe, but we struggled with 3rd and short both games.

He doesn’t seem to get 2 FG = 1 TD. You don’t throw away free points, or at least the greatest coaches of all time didn’t.

• Like Like x 4
  9. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

he didn't bring up 4th down statistics. that's good. lol

10. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

11. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Actually, he didn't. Sims took himself out with a dislocated finger, which he had played with several times before.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I have always believed that Mack destroyed Simms’ confidence by keeping him in that game as he was in the process of melting down. Although Mack thought that he was supporting his QB, he was actually hurting him.

One additional tidbit, if I am not mistaken: After Simms’ second (or third) interception in the first half, OG Mike Williams and Cedric Benson collided attempting to tackle the Colorado player, a LB as I recall. Both were knocked out of the game and I believe that it took Benson most of the next season to get back to his previous form.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  13. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Tommy seems like a hypocrite to me. He kept saying players that don't take care of the ball won't play. Yet Sam had one of the most careless fumbles I've ever seen and nope, he comes right back out the next series.

14. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Thank gawd you all aren't coaches. Major was better than Simms. in this offense Ehilnger is much better than Buechele. Buechele is fragile, can't run that well, and needs a clean pocket.

15. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I'm in disagreement with this post on all points.

• Like Like x 4
  16. SAMMCHornfan

SAMMCHornfan 250+ Posts

So was Case McCoy, but he chalked up a couple of pretty good wins against TCU,A&M and OU.

• Like Like x 2
  17. zuckercanyon

Both Major and Simms won more than they lost, threw for a lot of yards and touchdowns. Simms' stay was more "notorious". I don't think he deserved the "hate" he got while on the 40. Similar to GDGD, Mack Brown was the cook that spoiled the pot. Mack decided on Simms, and he also decided on Greg Davis's play calling. That became obvious when Davis was finally gone, we get the offensive genius Harsin, and very quickly Harsin's play calling looked eerily similar to GDGD's....

• Like Like x 2
  18. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I don't think Williams got knocked out of the game, but Benson definitely did, and it was definitely an issue.

• Like Like x 2
  19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

And that is why Petersen never returned phone calls from "512", and still will not.

20. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

In vacuum, maybe, but everybody forgets that Major blew out his knee in the bowl game of the '99 season looked pretty rusty early on in '00, causing him and Simms to swap back and forth several times and everybody was very quickly tired of Mack constantly switching QBs. Major got back into his form, became the full-time unquestioned starter, and after a few games he blew out his knee again and was out for the season. My guess is he didn't look back to 100% in fall practice - and after the previous year, Mack made an understandable choice to stay with one guy rather than switch back and forth whenever the current guy struggled.

Except in the Chicago-Green Bay game last night, the Clemson-A&M game the night before, our Rose Bowl game with Michigan, the Green Bay-Seattle NFC Champion Game a few years back, etc....

21. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

This is ********.
    Shane ran quite well in Gilberts system when called upon.
    And he is faster than Sam.
    No, you shouldn't run him into the line like a fullback.
    And Sam won't last long using him like that either.
    Herman wants a certain system and Sam fits better because of size only.
    But if we continually score less than 30 points a game we are screwed in conference play.
    Use a system that fits Shane better and we score more, IMHO.
    I want Sterlin Gilbert back.

• Like Like x 9
  22. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve said it before but Buechele surprised many of us at the beginning of the 2016 season when, as a true Freshman, he displayed surprising accuracy. We have a better line now and a nice stable of RBs. I’d like to see what he could do.

• Like Like x 7
  23. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

I want a system which attacks the LOS ... if it must be by air ... OK ... but stop going sideways, ditch the WR hitch (we RARELY make more than a couple yards) ... stop trying to run the ball with belly rubbing pass blocking. FIRE off the line and attack the guy across the line from ya. GO FORWARD!

• Like Like x 2
  24. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

If someone wants to call for Shane on here, that's their/your perogative, but I don't see how anyone could use the "may provide a spark" rationale...I have seen nothing from him that resemples a spark. He may yet do something good at UT...I'm not counting him out, but haven't seen anything that looks like a guy that will come in and provide a "spark". This is the primary reason he isn't starting imho.
    (And yes it is unfortunate that we are in such great need of a "spark" all the time... shouldn't be so)
    You looking for a spark...= KI#26

• Like Like x 1
  25. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Well, I guess you can't remember his freshman year and he had some good moments last year. Now with a better o-line this year some magic could happen. .If given a chance. Trouble is Herman is not into a finesse type offense but i say Shane is not a delicate flower. He has manned up before. I would like to see if he still has it and if he doesn't then we will move on. Its that simple. But i don't think Herman wants to lose face if Shane plays well...:brickwall:

26. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

As opposed to Ehlinger who tends to provide turnover sparks for the other team?

Honestly, to be an improvement, all Shane has to do is throw decent, catchable passes and not be a turnover machine/anti-clutch.

• Like Like x 3
  27. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

So you're saying Sam is an equal opportunity sparker, huh...
    I'll give you that.
    I wasn't bringing up SE...or really comparing the two....Simply making a point about "spark" as related to SB.
    I'll stop talking spark now. I'm annoying myself.
    Just responding to posters putting Shane and spark in the same sentence.. I don't get it. I saw the opposite all last season.
    Maybe this year would be different...maybe.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  28. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

We were outscored 21-7 in the second half. No first downs in the 3rd quarter. I was disappointed mightily by the offense. We scored 1 more point against Tulsa than Central Arkansas.

29. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Tom was too tough on them at halftime. Nothing to see here. Move along.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Buechele was afraid to throw the ball so he took a lot of sacks and made his line look bad. Ehilnger is the best qb we have had since Colt. He isn't Colt or Elway, but if the defense relaxes and gives up easy TD's after we take the lead, and put him in the win it in last 2:00 minutes he may not get it done. But for shot sakes he went 7 for 7 on the money drive and 21 for 27 with no interceptions. Boy can run and throw and is tough as hell. It is up to Hermano to figure out the rest. I'd say the Offense has no identity and the defense is not disciplined during crunch time and chokes. But that is what I see...

• Like Like x 1