Tony's (on Speedway)

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by J.R.69, Mar 8, 2009.

1. J.R.69

J.R.69 250+ Posts

Any of you oldtimers remember Tony's? It was a small house converted into a beer joint, just south of 21st St and across from the intramural fields on Speedway.

I was a 17-year-old Freshman in '59 when I first came across it. A friend (he was 19 but prematurely gray and looked older) went in and ordered a beer. Tony didn't challenge us, so we stayed and chatted a while. After that, Tony always remembered me and never asked for ID card or anything.

Some of the partitions in the house had been removed to accommodate tables, but otherwise, just an old house. The bathroom was unmodified, and the bathtub served as the pisser.

Good times, good memories.

2. J.R.69

J.R.69 250+ Posts

Guess not.

3. Texas0407

Texas0407 500+ Posts

4. GHoward

GHoward 2,500+ Posts

I don't remember because 21st and speedway is now filled with Jester, PCL, McCombs and gregory gym.

5. mofohorn

mofohorn 25+ Posts

J.R. I remember Tony's. I was an 18 year old freshman in 1960.We always went there after intermural practice or games. Gregory Gym was there also. Longneck Lone Star or Pearl. Ice cold. Those were the days.

6. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

Were the intramural fields back then what was called Clark Field in the 80's (ie after the Disch was built and baseball Clark was demolished)? The place with the running track, hoops, and outdoor racketball that has a dorm on it now?