"Too Early" 2019 Depth Chart

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Joe Fan, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This is Jeff Howe/247's take -- there is a brief write-up for each position in the link below. I dont agree with all of this but I guess thats what off-seasons and message boards are all about

QB
    1. Sam Ehlinger (Jr.)
    2. Shane Buechele (Jr.) or Cameron Rising (Fr.-RS) or Casey Thompson (Fr.-RS)
    3. Roschon Johnson (Fr.-HS)

RB
    1. Keaontay Ingram (Soph.)
    2. Daniel Young (Jr.)
    3. Derrian Brown (Fr.-HS) or Kirk Johnson (Sr.)
    4. Kyle Porter (Jr.)
    5. Tristian Houston (Sr.)

X Receiver
    1. Collin Johnson (Sr.)
    2. Brennan Eagles (Soph.) or Malcolm Epps (Fr.-RS)
    3. Marcus Washington (Fr.-HS)
    4. Jordan Pouncey (Soph.)
    Z Receiver
    1. Devin Duvernay (Sr.)
    2. John Burt (Sr.)
    3. Al'Vonte Woodard (Fr.-RS)
    4. Kennedy Lewis (Fr.-HS)
    H Receiver (Slot)
    1. Lil'Jordan Humphrey (Sr.)
    2. Joshua Moore (Soph.) or D’Shawn Jamison (Soph.)
    3. Jake Smith (Fr.-HS) or Jordan Whittington (Fr.-HS)

TE
    1. Cade Brewer (Jr.)
    2. Reese Leitao (Soph.)
    3. Brayden Liebrock (Fr.-HS)
    4. Rob Cummins (Soph.) or Jared Wiley (Fr.-HS)

LT
    1. Samuel Cosmi (Soph.)
    2. Christian Jones (Fr.-RS)
    3. Isaiah Hookfin (Fr.-HS)
    LG
    1. Tope Imade (Jr.)
    2. Rafiti Ghirmai (Fr.-RS)
    3. Patrick Hudson (Jr.)
    C
    1. Zach Shackelford (Sr.)
    2. Derek Kerstetter (Jr.)
    RG
    1. Junior Angilau (Fr.-RS)
    2. Tyler Johnson (Fr.-HS)
    RT
    1. Denzel Okafor (Jr.)
    2. Reese Moore (RS-Fr.) or JP Urquidez (Jr.)

Way-too-early depth chart projection for the Longhorns in 2019

• Like Like x 3
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

DE
    1. Malcolm Roach (Sr.)
    2. Moro Ojomo (Fr.-RS)
    3. Daniel Carson (Fr.-RS)
    4. T'Vondre Sweat (Fr.-HS)
    NT
    1. Gerald Wilbon (Sr.)
    2. Keondre Coburn (Fr.-RS)
    3. D'Andre Christmas-Giles (Sr.)
    DE
    1. Ta'Quon Graham (Jr.)
    2. Marqez Bimage (Jr.) or Jacoby Jones (Jr.-TR)
    3. Jamari Chisholm (Sr.)
    4. Myron Warren (Fr.-HS) or Peter Mpagi (Fr.-HS)

B (Hybrid)
    1. Joseph Ossai (Soph.)
    2. Byron Vaughns (Fr.-RS)
    Mac (Middle)
    1. Ayodele Adeoye (Fr.-RS)
    2. David Gbenda (Fr.-HS)
    Rover (Weakside)
    1. Jeffrey McCulloch (Sr.)
    2. De'Gabriel Floyd (Fr.-HS) or Caleb Johnson (Jr.-TR)
    3. Marcus Tillman Jr. (Fr.-HS)

CB
    1. Jalen Green (Soph.)
    2. Kobe Boyce (Soph.)
    3. Marques Caldwell (Fr.-HS)
    CB
    1. Anthony Cook (Soph.)
    2. Josh Thompson (Jr.)
    3. Donovan Duvernay (Jr.) or Kenyatta Watson II (Fr.-HS)

S
    1. Caden Sterns (Soph.)
    2. Chris Brown (Jr.) or DeMarvion Overshown (Soph.)
    3. Montrell Estell (Soph.) or Chris Adimora (Fr.-HS)
    S
    1. Brandon Jones (Sr.)
    2. B.J. Foster (Soph.)
    3. Tyler Owens (Fr.-HS)

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

An interesting take but it relies too much on several guys changing positions to let younger people up the chart. And keeping several players that have basically all but checked out of the program.

Man, if we keep that WR group around. ****. When the magazines rank position groups in the summer, I don't see how that's not the best group in the country, or at least top-3.

I doubt Kerstetter loses his starting spot to a freshman. Even if he's NFL-bound as a C, there's no way Herman loses his snaps on the line. Also wondering why Cosmi would need to switch to LT... we don't have a traditional dropback QB and there's really no such thing as a blindside with this group. I'd think Okafor (if he's healthy and/or sticks around) would still be penciled in at LT where he used to play.

LB and TE are going to be a bunch of guesstimates until a handful of guys step up and make plays. I think by the OU game, you'll see a lot of McCulloch, Johnson, and Ossai, with Adeoye getting the substitute snaps. Who knows at TE. The coaches obviously haven't trusted Leitao with snaps yet (other than kick coverage). Liebrock looks like the friggin real deal. But like I said, it'd be strange to supplant someone who's been playing here and solid when he's not hurt. Hopefully we're done with the stone hands of Beck from that group.

We will probably play maybe 3 percent of our snaps next year with fewer than 5 DBs. I'm thinking it would be more like Cook/Thompson at the 1-2 CB (Thompson was the favored guy who took Davis' snaps when he was hurt). And Boyce/Green as the next two "outside" guys. Jones, Sterns, and Foster are the obvious choices for the other three guys on the field, but it's questionable which one is the real nickel versus which ones are safeties. The way they played this year, Foster is the likely bump coverage guy and Sterns plays over the top like a centerfielder.

Looking at the roster, it's strange how we still have depth concerns, particularly at LB and DL. I would have thought that would be less of a problem by now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I thought where he put Kerstetter was a little odd as well. But its easy to see Tyler Johnson playing next season. If it's RT (with Okafor as the swing OT) then Kerstetter might start at C. Herman did seem to emphasize at the presser that Johnson could play anywhere on the OL. So maybe Howe knows what he is talking about. We will see. Plus, its early, he even calls his piece the "way too early depth chart." But, still, I think its hard not to wonder about and begin to project.
    And I do agree with him about Cosmi as the new LT. He probably would have started there this season had we not landed Anderson.

Here is Howe's write-up on that. Plus, the Game 1 depth chart probably wont match the Game 4 depth chart --

"For the purpose of this exercise, Cosmi is sliding over to left tackle. That could very well happen, and if it does it likely means a battle at right tackle will ensue between Kerstetter and Okafor. Kerstetter is the ultimate chess piece for Herb Hand — he will be the backup center to Shackelford but he’s started games in his career at right tackle and right guard. Johnson projects as a tackle, but he’s an intriguing plug-and-play option on the interior, where despite losses due to graduation might be a more talented group than the one the Longhorns had in 2018. Hudson didn't play in any of the team's 14 games after suffering a heat-related illness in the preseason and there's been no official word on his future."

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Ive been reading Adeoye is a bit slow-footed. He is talented, strong, hits hard and might not be as prone to making bad reads as Wheeler. But it sounds like he might not have the speed to start against the majority of B12 foes. I look for Floyd to step up by ou.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  6. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

the 2 juco transfers will be 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart?

7. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Cosmi - from what I understand, Cosmi is likely our best player on the line; it makes sense to put your best player at LT, even if it means the rest of the line shuffles a little.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Agree.

Many experts have also expressed that Cosmi was the best OL player this season. Due to that and the level of trust he has established, I think he would be the best OL player to put at LT (to protect your right-handed QB's blind side).

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  9. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

This looks like a Mack Brown depth chart rewarding longevity. If Imade and Okafor are good enough to start, why didn't they get some snaps in 2018? I project Johnson as a day 1 starter and if Moore has packed on enough weight, he'll start at tackle opposite Cosmi. If not it will be Angilau.

• Winner Winner x 1