Top 10 again?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by NJlonghorn, Sep 22, 2019.

1. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

Three of the 5 teams just ahead of us lost, and we should jump them all. Granted, two of them (ND and Michigan) lost to highly ranked teams, but our loss was to a highly ranked team, too. We’ll probably be jumped by Wisconsin, who was just behind us and trounced a higher-ranked team on the road, but we still should still move up 2 spots into the top 10. That should help with media exposure and credibility as a playoff contender, which unfortunately both matter.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

Nitpicking, but the game was in Wisconsin.

Overall, I agree, we'll probably be ranked #10 in most polls.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Wiscy exposed a "higher ranked team" who never should have been there in the first place. If I had a vote, Meatchicken would not appear in my top 25 at all.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

Michigan is not playing well for sure. That game against Army and now this? :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Joel Klatt’s picks — indecisive on #1 and I can’t argue with that right now

6. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Pretty good list

To have a legit shot at the playoffs, Texas will need one of the top 4 on that list to suffer 2 losses. I think Texas will jump 7, 6, and 5 when/if we beat blOwU. Basically Texas can't lose another game and needs a little luck on their side to get into the playoffs.

At this point, the only thing we can control is winning the Big 12. That should be our #1 priority.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I agree with that top ten.
    I can't see those other teams losing two games so that Texas can advance to the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

Win out and playoffs is still a strong possibility. That (likely) means beating a top 10 OU team twice, and our one loss would look excusable - by season's end, it'll be three months in the past, and it was a close loss to a good team. Would be hard to leave out a one loss power 5 conference champion, with a blue blood name, riding an 11-game winning streak.

Whether or not we'll win out is another story.

9. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Klat's list is good

Ohio State/Wisconsin could take care of one
    Texas/ouSUX takes care of the other
    Ala/lsu/uga this is tough since Georgia pays neither

That's tough. Even with one loss (toa top 10 team) and the B12 championship, we could be looking in from the outside

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

The Thing about UGA is they have to play Bama/LSU winner in the championship game and more than likely will lose. Even if it is only one loss, because it is so late in the season, I'm pretty sure it will kill their chances of making it into the playoffs. Bama/LSU is the one I'm worried about. The loser of that game will be a one loss team and more than likely not drop very far plus they will have time to make up the distance. If it is LSU, they have a built in tie breaker because they already beat us. This is why I say, we need one of the top 4 to lose 2 games, this will ensure that Texas (if they win out) will be in the playoffs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

12. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

If we win out and beat OU twice, assuming that they (OU) don’t collapse, I like our chances to make the CFP. In fact, I predicted it before the season. October 12th will tell us everything we need to know.

The biggest unknown commodity this year might be Clemson. They play nobody and based on how Auburn handled TAM at Cesspool Station yesterday, on has to wonder just how good they are.

I’m not yet sold on tOSU although I respect Klatt’s opinion. While Michigan is a massive disappointment, Harbaugh may be playing for his job when they meet in November. That desperation will be a factor.

I’m also not sold on Georgia. I question just how good ND is. The Bulldogs seem to always be overrated, and they disappoint most years.

We just need to take care of business. And, if LSU is as good as many think, I would be more than happy to take on a rematch. Our ceiling is higher than theirs, especially on D. We were better last night than we were on the 7th, and we will be better again on the 12th. This D might actually turn out to be pretty good based on the growth we saw yesterday from two weeks ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

We are so good now we can play stupid and still win. Ergo top ten!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Don't know what some posters are thinking. Georgia still has to play aTm

:lmao:

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

[QUOTE="dukesteer, post: 1668122, member: 14802"

I’m not yet sold on tOSU although I respect Klatt’s opinion. While Michigan is a massive disappointment, Harbaugh may be playing for his job when they meet in November. That desperation will be a factor.
    [/QUOTE]
    Not sold on tOSU because there is no such team around here (haven’t you been keeping up).:smile1: There is aOSU.I’m not sold on them either.

16. NorfolkVATiger

NorfolkVATiger 100+ Posts

LSU is Oklahoma right now. Except without the good running game. If LSU doesn't get the defense fixed, well you've seen what Bama and UGA have done to Oklahoma in the playoffs the last few years, even with that high powered offense. LSU did have 3 starters in the front 7 out due to injury vs Vandy (all 3 were hurt vs Texas), but still, if LSU doesn't get the D fixed they'll struggle against good teams this year.

17. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Still 12.

18. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Pull for LSU vs. 'Bama.

Auburn and ND are not top 10, maybe top 15.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  19. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Don't forget about the injuries we incurred yesterday. Though I haven't heard anything new, Green and Sterns esp.Sterns, will be missing significant time. Losing those players will make it more difficult for us.