Top 3 CFB traditions

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Badass, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

now that we are in the dog days of the off season. I came across the below video. So my insta poll is what are your top 3 CFB traditions? (excluding our Longhorns of course)

Mine are: 1. Florida State Chant
    2. Ralphie the Buffalo run
    3. Michigan Fight Song

Last place tie: We are ND and Boomer Sooner lol

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Texas #13? Boo!

• Like Like x 1
  3. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Better than aggy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

1. USC sweater girls/song girls
    2. Army Navy game
    3. U of Washington floating tailgate party on the boats

Hon mention - LSU crawfish boil tailgate party/24 hour tailgate party & Rice MOB halftime performances.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I have seen lists that were bad, some that were ignorant, but this is the stupidest list I have ever seen, obviously made by people that have never been to the majority of these stadiums.

FSU - lamest fans in the country. The war chant is used because none of their fans know the fight song nor the school song. Their PA announcer is beyond pathetic. Playing at home for the ACC championship, with the visitors driving for the winning score in the fourth quarter, the announcer promptly says. "Ladies & gentlemen, we love our marching chiefs, yes we go. Let's give them a hearty round of applause."

WVU - really? The best they have is a song John Denver wrote about the Western half of the State of Virginia?

VT - There's a reason it's known as Lame Stadium. Give them their due, they do hold the record for most players traveling to a bowl game while out on bond.

State Penn - Only school to rival or exceed FSU for lame fans

Pitt - no following, no tradition, nobody cares

This isn't a list of college football traditions, but rather some music directors favorite college songs!

Traditions in no particular order:

Hook 'em

That damn dust bowl song that rings in your ears for months are leaving the Cotton Bowl

USC Trojan on the white horse

Colorado running Ralphie (unless you're visitor with trailer outside your locker room)

Texas Tech Masked Rider

SMU running Peruna

Aggie War Hymn

Baylor Bear drinking Dr Pepper

Arkansas calling the hogs

LSU chanting "Tiger Bait" as Mike is poked with a cattle prod and roars right outside the opponents locker room, which is the most humid place in Louisiana

Auburn's eagle

Florida's gator chomp

Howard's rock and hill

FSU horse & flaming spear

Roll Tide

Rocky Top

Sorry, the fat, obnoxious princes of polyester in the BigTen get ZERO nominations

6. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

I agree with your analysis and list but you might add "neck" or whatever LSU folks call it. Really get's your attention and sums up the overall class of the SEC SEC SEC

7. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Many of these are contrived, ex. Clemson's "Most Exciting 25 seconds in football" or something like that which has the coach and players running onto the field. I'm holding my chest, feeling faint, hoping I'm not having a heart attack. Can I have that 25 seconds back?

But IMHO, any top list of college football traditions that leaves out fun ones that come from the fans, e.g.: Wazzou with the ESPN Game Day rogue WSU Cougar flag, and their unofficial fight song of "Louie, Louie"... other ones, in the words of The Dude: "Well, that's just like your opinion, man."

8. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Wisconsin 4th quarter jump around was pretty cool, but everyone does it now and the song doesn’t have longivety, in my opinion.

9. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

A tradition is something that’s got some age to it. If it hasn’t been done for at least 50 years, it isn’t a tradition. That let’s jumping around to House of Pain and a lot of those other “traditions“ out.

Odd that Penn St and Pitt both sing Sweet Caroline before games. That’s like us and Aggy doing the same thing

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

So you think the Corp guys waving white flags (devised by Jackie Sherril to make the corp look like a massive surrendering army) is not a turdition?

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Turditions are a whole ‘nother Ballgame.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

How is playing some old rap from the 90's a tradition? Singing a Neil Diamond song? it's a fun song to sing, at Howl at the Moon, but at a football game?

Some of those things aren't traditions, they are things you do to keep you entertained at a game. If you were to ask a Ohio State guy, they would talk about the dotting of the I as one of their biggest traditions.

The gooners have their little chuck wagon, and Colorado has their buffalo thing. Seriously, the guy who made that was probably a Penn State guy who just wanted to make a list that had Penn State winning something.