Top Coaches

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by flash34, Nov 1, 2019.

1. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

So just thinking on a Friday night while waiting to watch the Mavs/Laker game. So the question is...…...Who are the top head coaches in Texas (or with Texas background) and/or B12 right now. In my fair and biased opinion, it is a short list. Mulkey, Blair (A&M), Schaeffer(Miss State), Wes Moore (NC State), B. Fennely (Iowa State), N Fortner (Georgia Tech), S Coale (OU), Aston, Mitchell (NTexas), Mays (SMU), others? I am guessing that Aston is 7th best on this imperfect list. Missed anybody? I am very open to your opinions. Too high or too low? If I had my druthers, I would have recently hired Wes Moore (before his recent contact extension) or N Fortner as the others above her most likely wouldn't be interested.

2. geewago

geewago 100+ Posts

After personally watching Lubbock Christian play TX Monday night and BU Wednesday night I'd rate Steve Gomez rather high among coaches in Texas. His teams are very well coached. I would love to see them play TX Tech. I doubt Tech could have beat LC the last couple of years,

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Aston vs Coale . . . not quite ready to say Coale is a has-been yet, but her last 5 years have been far inferior to Aston's (and about in line with what we ran Gail G off for).

4. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Coale’s results have suffered, but when she had the talent, she was outstanding. She is a brilliant offensive mind, excellent with adjustments, and we will have to wait and see about her future!!!

5. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

I would put Vic and Mulkey at the top. I wouldn't be surprised if TX goes after Vic. He can flat out coach, develop players and he knows the game. Let me clarify. I dont think Aston is any where near being fired. I'm just saying IF and when TX looked for someone else it might be Vic.

I like Aston but to take her coaching to another level she's going need to embrace the offensive side of the game. I just wish Aston would find a balance between her offense and defense. We know she knows defense and demands everyone to learn it and do it for playing time. Now if she would do the same for offense. She should keep herself in the doghouse until she finds an offensive minded coach who can teach offensive schemes and place the same demands on the team like she does with defense. Balance Coach Balance!

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

It’s all about ego. Because most of us view the offensive coach as the genius in most sports, coaches that aren’t good with offensive x’s and o’s are viewed as being inferior. Which is why most coaches like Coach Aston are reluctant to give the offensive reigns over to another coach.

And why you never hear of an Offensive coordinator in basketball but we’ve seen numerous coaches including Vic when he was at A&M and the current assistant for the Texas men’s team referred to as the defensive coordinator.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  7. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

According to the Texas website, Jamie Carey coordinates the offensive schemes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Well, we’ll see if that’s the case with this years team offensively.