Top Notch Sad News

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by wedgie, Nov 14, 2008.

1. wedgie

wedgie 100+ Posts

Drove into Top Notch yesterday and it was closed. The manager James Stanish suddenly has past away and per the AAS article today the family may not re-open the store.

Sad day for the family and Austin.

Had, hopefully not my last, special sauce burger Saturday.

RIP

2. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Sad story. I didn't go to Top Notch very often, but I always enjoyed it.

3. badexcuse

badexcuse 1,000+ Posts

I know the family - good Anderson HS folk.

4. wedgie

wedgie 100+ Posts

Jimmy I did not know the family. I moved into that neighborhood in 1997 and shortly thereafter discovered the joy of "Top Notch." I probably on the average ate there two to three times a month.

The burger I had on Saturday I called ahead to pickup and take home and James Stanish took my order. It was around 4:00pm when I arrived to get my order and the place was packed. The sister took my money as James was on the grill.

To be honest by the experssion on his face James seemed like something was bothering him or in a bad mood. I just hope it was my misunderstanding and not related to what would happen that evening.

I really feel bad for the family and also sad that the good ole mom and pop places seem to be slowing going away.

Myself being only a year or two younger than James also puts things into prespective.

5. Texoz

Texoz 1,000+ Posts

The Link

Sad news indeed.

This may sound odd, but the Top Notch fan base is so loyal, almost fanatical, they may will it to stay open.

I hope the family finds peace, and a way to keep Top Notch going.

6. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

Sad news, I hadn't heard. As an Anderson High grad, I know the place well. I didn't know the Stanishes personally, but my brother did.

RIP and my prayers for the family. I would love for them to find some way to keep it open.

7. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

I have been there many times but not for years as I used to live near Anderson High. I honestly thought that they had closed years ago until reading the article last weekend.

8. HornBud

HornBud 2,500+ Posts

9. TxStHorn

TxStHorn 1,000+ Posts

10. SAChick

SAChick 500+ Posts

Went today for lunch and was a damn good burger. The wait was horrible. 20 minutes at about 1:00.

11. badexcuse

badexcuse 1,000+ Posts

I shook my aggy game hangover my having a Longhorn Special and large lemonade today. So damn good.

12. wedgie

wedgie 100+ Posts

Just got back and did take out. They were packed with five to seven people waiting in line on the inside for the 20 monutes it took to get my order. Cars were trolling the park lot looking for places to open up.

BTW the food was awesome. [​IMG]

13. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

I went for lunch today - still a great burger! Please stay in business!!

14. i'll have to get one this thursday... can't believe i came this close to not having one ever again.

prayers to the family.

15. RichUT

RichUT 250+ Posts

Finally had my first Top Notch experience at lunch today. Best burger I have had in Austin to date. Loved it.

Hopefully they keep it up and running for a long time. I see many move visits in my future.

16. hook1997

hook1997 25+ Posts

Very sad so young to die in his sleep. Did they ever find a cause of death?

17. Murphy'sBoy

Murphy'sBoy 1,000+ Posts

Top Notch has kick *** fried chicken

18. Orange&White

Orange&White 1,000+ Posts

19. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

had a three piece fried chicken plate yesterday

good as ever

20. 40 ACRZ

40 ACRZ 100+ Posts

Top Notch was my first job when I turned 15 some 26 years ago. The whole Stannish family was great to work with.

Did anyone ever hear a cause of death for James?

21. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts