Torchy's Tacos

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by TXSNOS, Jan 1, 2010.

1. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

Torchy's Tacos is opening a new location in NW Austin at the old Burger House / Lucky Dog site on Spicewood Springs Rd near Mesa. How does Torchy's compare to Taco Shack?

2. TEXASMADE

TEXASMADE 250+ Posts

murders taco shack in taste and murders you in the wallet

3. Slomo Play

Slomo Play 25+ Posts

I'll have to agree with TEXASMADE. Ate there for the first time last night after the basketball game. One taco and a coke, almost $6. It was good, not great.

4. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

nothing special

they try too hard, too much going on in the tacos. simpler is better

2 tacos, sides of rice & beans, and an iced tea: $13

5. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

I think they're out-*******-standing. They may be a niche taco, but it's a tasty niche.

6. AhhhCraig

AhhhCraig 100+ Posts

Torchy's queso is real good and their food is tasty, but I also think they are a little on the pricey side. That being said I live a couple of minutes away from their new location and will surely drop in sometime.

7. badexcuse

badexcuse 1,000+ Posts

Breakfast tacos - three toppings, $2.00, outstanding.

8. Brak

Brak 500+ Posts

Yesterday I ate at the one on South 1st (not the trailer park as I couldn't find a parking spot) as I was in town to run the marathon.

The food was pretty good but not great. Two tacos and tea came out to be $9.

What I don't understand is why can't Austin restaurants serve homemade corn tortillas? If every mom and pop Mexcan food restaurant in San Antonillo can do it (and charge $1.25 per taco) why can't Austin? I went to Guero's a couple of weeks ago and they did the same thing.

9. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones 500+ Posts

Los Pinos on Hudson Bend Rd makes their own corn tortillas. And they are spectacular