Trangender issues

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Uninformed, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Posted without comment:The Link

A transgender first-grader who was born a boy but identifies as a girl has won the right to use the girls' restroom at her Colorado school.

The Colorado Rights Division ruled in favor of Coy Mathis in her fight against the Fountain-Fort Carson School District.

Coy's parents had taken her case to the commission after the district said she could no longer use the girls' bathroom at Eagleside Elementary.

In issuing its decision, the state's rights division said keeping the ban in place "creates an environment that is objectively and subjectively hostile, intimidating or offensive."

Coy's mother, Kathryn Mathis, said she's thrilled that Coy can return to school and put this behind her.

The first-grader has been home-schooled during the proceedings

"Schools should not discriminate against their students," Mathis said. "All we ever wanted was for Coy's school to treat her the same as other little girls. We are extremely happy that she now will be treated equally."

Mathis and her husband Jeremy will hold a noon (2 p.m. ET) news conference to discuss the case.

The Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund praised the ruling that was filled under Colorado's Anti-Discrimination Act.

"It is a victory for Coy and a triumph for fairness," said Michael Silverman, the group's executive director. "This ruling sends a loud and clear message that transgender students may not be targeted for discrimination and that they must be treated equally in school."

Mathis said she got a call "out of the blue" from the school in December saying that Coy could use the boys' bathroom, gender-neutral faculty bathrooms or the nurse's bathroom, but not the girls' facilities.

The district "took into account not only Coy, but other students in the building, their parents and the future impact a boy with male genitals using a girls' bathroom would have as Coy grew older," a letter the family's attorney received in December said.

"However, I'm certain you can appreciate that, as Coy grows older and his male genitals develop along with the rest of his body, at least some parents and students are likely to become uncomfortable with his continued use of the girls' restroom."

2. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

How can a 6 year old know **** about how he "identifies?"

Holy crap, this kid is going to be screwed up for life.

3. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad OSU Game Prediction Champion

Did we come out of a time warp or something? Maybe its just the internet connecting the world like never before. I never knew any kids at any age level, and none of my siblings or cousins did either, that were transgendered, K-12. None, zero.

I dont think I ever knew a kid with autism either. None of my parents, older cousins, or anyone I knew whose 40yo or older knew anyone with autism 25-30-40 years ago. It was rare as hell.

This **** is becoming an epidemic. It seriously worries me. Whether its the water, pesticides, food additives, vaccines, etc, something is happening that didnt used to, and we are causing it.

What is the name of the movie that came out a few years ago where humanity had lost the ability to reproduce, but then came along one woman who became pregnant and they had to figure out how? I never saw it, and dismissed it as a ridiculous idea, but nowadays, I worry that we are screwing ourselves to the point to where something like that could actually happen.

4. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Notice how the CNN article identifies the young human being with a penis as "her" and "she" throughout.

That young human has a penis, testicles, and an X and a Y chromosome in every cell in HIS body. He is male. Period. And he should not be going into the bathroom with little girls.

His parents should be brought up on child abuse charges for using the poor kid in this manner.

5. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

2003, it was Children of Men, starring Clive Owen. So-so movie, but it has a great single cut battle scene at the end that got much due praise

Growing up, there was only 1 kid in my age range that was known to struggle with autism, but the transgender stories were non-existent in my slice of 90's Dallas. Environmental, social mores deteriorating, political correctness run haywire, helicopter parenting- who knows if any single cause can be attributed to this, but there are some VERY confused children being raised now

6. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad OSU Game Prediction Champion

Dalhorn,

I agree, but autism isnt related to bad parenting. There is something happening to kids' brains thats causing it. What is going to happen to all these autistic kids when they outlive their parents and their siblings cant afford to care for them?

They are increasing in numbers every year it seems.

7. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

2003, I did not mean to imply that autism is related to parenting. Trying to do two things at once and didn't see how my comment reads.
    Btw, I read a recent article that suggests air pollution particulates may be a new target for scientists to pinpoint a cause of autism.

8. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

It will be interesting to see the bathroom battles. Schools will get sued for not letting biological males uses female restrooms, and they will get sued for letting biological males uses female restrooms. Will the end result be only unisex restrooms?

9. CedarParkFan

CedarParkFan 1,000+ Posts

10. Dionysus

Dionysus Admin Admin

As long as he has a dick he should probably go to the bathroom with the other dicks.

It would be great if ‘her’ name was Richard Peter Johnson.

11. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

Pretty sure the school was going to get sued either way. Let the boy in the girls restroom and get sued by girls parents. Don't let him in and get sued by his parents. I thought the schools solution of using an adult restroom was about the best they could do. Still got sued.

12. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

Maybe for this scenario, all future school architectural renderings should include a third bathroom option in between the girls and boys bathrooms, with a "?" marking. Or a picture of Julia Sweeney as "Pat"

13. Larry T. Spider

Now that schools know they are going to get sued no matter what they do, they should tell the transgender family to get lost. You go in the room designed for your anatomy or stay home.

14. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

15. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

I suspect that if transgender claiming boys are allowed in women's restrooms, there will be a rapid rise in the number of teenage transgenders. Pretty funny because the only solution at that point would be the government forcing businesses and public institutions to add a third "unisex" bathroom.

16. EasternHorn

EasternHorn 500+ Posts

I do not know what causes someone to be transgender but then none of you posting above acting like you have an idea know anything either.

I would surmise that it is genetics, brain structure, or some psychological reason, but who knows?

I would also surmise that we hear more about it these days because scientists, physicians, the media, etc. understand the issue better than before and it isn't just shoved under the rug.

That being said, six years old still seems young to me. I think the parents should wait until the child hits puberty, but they are closer to the situation than me.

17. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

It is not genetic and there is not a gay gene or transgender gene, that is fact that have been proven over and over again.

18. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Do we know enough about this story to comment? Maybe the kid was born a hermaphrodite and the parents "chose" at birth only to realize this kid is certainly female. My knee-jerk reaction is to say "he has a penis, he's a boy" but I can't imagine any parent trying to convince their son he's a girl and going to this extent to ensure it gets recognized. That's the conclusion we are all leaping towards, right?

I don't think a regular "boy" could determine they are transgendered at that age. Afterall, this could simply end up being a flamboyant gay boy which many parents are OK with in this era. So, there has to be more to the story.

My incoming 9th grade son has a boy that has been stalking him. After his buddy gave up my son's cell phone as a joke this kid proceeded to text my son that he was going to slit his wrists. My wife and I promptly reached out to the school for intervention and were told this boy has "gender issues" and is in counseling. We instructed my son to avoid this boy at all costs.

My son has pointed out this boy to me at school functions and without meeting him I can unequivocally say this boy is very gay at a minimum. I do think these types of kids ALWAYS existed but due to homophobia they hid their emotions. This often resulted in a high rate of mental issues and suicidal tendencies. Though it's now inconvenient to address these issues with kids and young adults this is the right thing to do, IMHO.

One final thought: I agree with Larry and thought the school handled it appropriately by giving the boy access to the adult restrooms.

19. Larry T. Spider

Y'all are turning this into more of a society/transgender debate; which is fine. I'm not an expert on transgender people of any age. All I know is that it is inappropriate for a person with a penis to be in the girls restroom at a public school. It really sucks that this kid is having these issues, but it is not ok for him to be in the restroom with the girls. The girls have a right to use the restroom with out a male in there. The parents of girls at this school are probably about to flip out.

20. Seattle Husker

21. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Guru

22. Seattle Husker

23. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Guru

I think what the school original proposed was good enough without having to force the child to go into a male bathroom. If you ask me, the parents have made the situation worse by bringing this to a spotlight (or at least endorsing it by allowing it to continue) and highlighting the child even more. I cannot see the child wanting all this fuss over the issue. It was more than likely brought on by the parents, a friend of the parents or someone who heard about the issue. Whomever did bring it to the spotlight, probably felt that the school was singling out the child and wanted what was best (in their mind).

I don't know how most of the posters on here raise their children but I don't beat around the bush with mine. If they are having issues or what not, I level with them and try to advise as best as I can. If this were my child, I would just tell them that you have to conform to what the school will allow. I would also tell them how it affects the other children that they go to school with and you have to consider all the people envolved, not just yourself.

24. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

25. EasternHorn

EasternHorn 500+ Posts

26. Larry T. Spider

27. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

The Link look it up yourself, I don't have time to be your research assistant, there is not such thing.....

28. Horns11

Horns11 5,000+ Posts

If she sees herself as a girl, then I truly don't have a problem with it. It's not like girls have the "urinal" opportunities to whip it out. Heck, more **** would probably happen to the student in question if she were using the boy's restroom for the rest of her schooling.

People who question whether the student "understands" transgendered-ness are missing the point. She sees herself as a girl, and likely always has. If anything, I kind of hope she doesn't understand why everyone else is so bent out of shape over it. There's a difference between sex and gender. If that's the apocalyptic sign you've been waiting for to signal the end of days, you probably need bigger things to worry about.

29. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

30. Horns11

Horns11 5,000+ Posts

Good rebuttal.

Tell me about the harms involved in letting her use the girls' restroom. Squeamishness? It's icky? Because of the picture on the door to the restroom?

Even if the parents were doing this as a political ploy, I'd love to hear some more overreactions.