Transfer Portal

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Chinstrap, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

The transfer portal fits right in with the Age of Entitlement. Instead of kids waiting their turn or working harder to move up the depth chart, we've given them the easy way out to just quit and go elsewhere.

With that said, losing Byron Vaughns (Hobbs) . . . meh.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

What age does it fit in that the guys at the top making millions were already able to quit and go elsewhere for even more millions?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

What age does it fit in where players in college can be fired? There's a give and take in this conversation, but I get your point.

4. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

The once strict, now way relaxed, transfer rules were never put in place to be mean to the players. It was to prevent a never ending recruiting cycle, where even after a player signed with a school, there was still the effort to get him to come to another school.

But now it's like free agency - players can swap teams as they see fit, based on how the season plays out for playing time and other aspects.

So be it. All school are subject to it, and if anything, it balances good players around, as it's hard to keep multiple good players on the bench at one school, since they now can split and go elsewhere.

It's the endorsement aspect which I think will have a much biggest impact on college football. It's more or less allowing the same things that the NCAA spent the last 40 years trying to crack down on - well paying jobs with no real duties, cash payments to players, and an advantage to biggest, higher interest schools compared to mid-range teams.

Look over the list of the things that LSU is accused of doing. Which ones if any would be not allowed once endorsements are allowed?

5. Duck Dodgers

And I still say for the transfer portal, you shouldn't be allowed to dip you toe into it, offering yourself up, looking over the teams and in no go ones then go back to your current team.

Entering the portal should mean immediate removal from the current team - not kicked out of school but pitched out of the dorm and that long, long buffet table.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I agree. I think the portal or some version of it should exist so the kids have a way out if its not a good fit. However, once they decide to leave and enter the portal then its done. Maybe that's the rule change that needs to be done to make them realize the finality of their decision.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

The Portal has worked well for Joe Burrow @ LSU, Shane Buechelle @ SMU, Justin Fields @ tOSU, Cameron Rising @ Utah and a couple of OU one yr QBs.

Players should have mobility when HCs change so much.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

I personally do not like the portal but like others have said, once you enter the portal, that should be final.

Also believe there should be restrictions on when they can enter. It can really mess up coaches and teams plans. Noticed today that 2 productive Baylor players have entered the portal. That is not right!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MUCHO

MUCHO 100+ Posts

Portal is appropriately named for many reasons, including that it will port us to a place where things like school tradition, allegiances etc. will matter very little to players. Does anyone think Jalen Hurts identities more as a sooner than with the crimson tide? (As a member of the Sooners, he played the senior bowl with a split helmet.). 1 year sit out rule is a good rule. It should be enforced. Just my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I think the portal is just a rebranding of what used to be called "not getting playing time but I'll keep the uniform on until I let you know otherwise."

If the portal was around for the Colt years, we would have seen Snead, Kinne, several offensive skill position players, and several DBs enter it. I don't think its impact is as dire as people make it seem, because coaches would already know/understand the transfer situations evolving on their own teams. If they're really shocked or taken aback by kids entering the portal, they're probably not very astute.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Hot Hot x 1
  12. LonghornCatholic

13. TexasFight86

TexasFight86 250+ Posts

Houston Baptist QB and WRs plus L’ville QB have entered. Getting crowded in the portal.
    Do they have to wear a mask in the portal?

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Duck Dodgers

The portal should be an scheduled event, maybe twice a year, like the NFL draft.

The players wishing to transfer should have to go stand on a circle, like the teleportation room in Star Trek, waiting for an offer, which would light them up in school colors and be welcomed off the circle with a fake jersey and applause by the team mascot.

Those not picked would skunk off in shame, already having been kicked off their current team, meager belongings packed up out of the dorm and in a storage locker.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

We need to grab a portal QB if Sam isn't coming back. We have promising youngsters, but no proven college QB yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Nah, I'd rather go the OU route. Just get JQJ ready to play and start him as a rs freshman like Rattler. Based on the film, I have no doubt he can beat out Thompson.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

It's good to have a plan b, and even a plan c. Plus, there's talk on these boards about JQJ going into the portal himself.

18. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

CT has more playing time than JQJ due to injury. We do not know how JQJ is going to look on this level.

Card would be #2 until JQJ supplants him. Then Card and CT will portal.

19. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

I think the results that OU got when they went the Mayfield, Murray, Hurts route were better than what they got this year from Rattlesnake.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

We just don’t know yet.

I’d rather we oversign QBs, knowing that some will portal out if they can’t crack the starting lineup.

21. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Unbelievable we aren't pursuing any Juco's or transfer portals yet.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Duck Dodgers

Can we do a coaching portal?

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  23. TexasFight86

TexasFight86 250+ Posts

Best idea I've heard so far!

24. LonghornCatholic

How bout the Potty Portal?

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Is there a transfer portal for professors, or is that just outplacement?

26. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Nah, they just get to sit back, do nothing, and let their TA's teach the classes...

• Funny Funny x 1
  27. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

A disagree popped up on my post above?

Other than Sam, tell me who is the other proven college QB we have on the roster???

28. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Wasn't me, but I'm satisfied with CT or JQJ, if there is a possibility Herman stays away from the offense.

• Like Like x 1
  29. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

What known QB is in the portal? C. Brewer will be, but all 3 of Texas' "unproven" QB's are better than he is.

30. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

I'd argue Brewer is better than Sam which means he's better than a QB who hasn't taken a 100% rep in a year, another freshman who might be great, and a 9th year sophomore I think. If you can get Charlie, you get him. He'll get concussed in week 1 since Herb can't recruit or develop OL depth so the other 3 can play then... Plus while other crappy teams in the Big 12 can win with freshman QB's, Herman can't even win with a Sr Qb...

But more importantly, Herman will need his excuse of a freshman center snapping to a freshman QB handing off to a freshman RB excuse again like he did 4 years ago when we go 4-8...

• poop poop x 2