Transfer Portal

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Chinstrap, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Starting a talented freshman when you can get a grad transfer is just dumb. See OU, Ohio St, Georgia, etc...

2. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

OU - only Hurts was a grad transfer. Counting the year they had to sit out Mayfield and Murray were there for 4 and 3 years respectively.

Ohio State - unique situation and Fields wasn't just some random guy. He was the #1 dual threat QB coming out of HS. He showed up in Columbus a true sophmore.

Georgia- Daniels was a redshirt sophmore and only played in 3 games. Also not just some random guy.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  3. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Ok change "grad transfer" to "transfer portal" - better? The fact that we just started looking at transfer today is nuts. and we have zero offers out to Juco players...

4. I_Dont_Exist

247 has a list of all players in the transfer portal. How about you take a look and tell us who we should go after.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

We will disagree on Brewer's "greatness", but no one has put forth any other name because there aren't as of today.

This isn't just about 2021, but also 2022 and 2023 when Texas faces Alabama. Do you want an unproven QB playing Alabama on his second start? 2021 is going to be a cluster with Herman having very little chance of surviving because he will lose at least two and probably three conference games. Use the season to sort out the pecking order realizing that two of the three will leave before the 2022 season.

6. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Thought I did that - Charlie Brewer...

7. I_Dont_Exist

You did but I guess it didn't resonate due to it being such a longshot. Despite the family connection through his dad UT told him and his brother they weren't good enough for a scholarship. People tend to have a long memory on such things.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  8. TexasFight86

TexasFight86 250+ Posts

• poop poop x 3
  9. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Thanks to Herman never playing them, and when he does put anyone in, all he has them do is hand-off.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

So much for the past top recruiting classes. They all portaling out....Soon we will be Texas State good.

12. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

With a HC that isn't Texas Srate good.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

It was me. All that Sam has proved is that his teams have finished with 3-6 losses each year. I'm not saying it's all his fault, not by a long shot. But we need to see if one of the backups can help us improve. They are going to have to play sooner or later might as well be this coming season unless you want them to leave for a year or two and then come back and have experience that way. I don't want Brewer or any other quote unquote proven quarterback I want our youngsters to play. One of them may be a Colt McCoy. Hell, that Wright guy could be the next Colt McCoy.

14. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Saw that. True frosh, did get to play in a few games. Don’t know what his beef is about. Could be Herman, “The Eyes”, thinks he’s better than he is at this point, listened to the malcontents. Who knows.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. TexasFight86

TexasFight86 250+ Posts

OU WR Charleston Rambo enters the portal. Would he look at Texas? From Cedar Hill.

• Like Like x 3
  16. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

That is a WOW! I guess he assumes Mims is going to be the chosen one going forward.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

to USC
    I think Naviar is there

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Utah St

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

DT Daniel Carson to Western Illinois

20. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

He might. These guys are hard to read sometimes.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Sure but it's also about what they might get from Rattler over the next few years.

And getting Mayfield after one season at Tech in which he couldn't outplay Davis Webb really wasn't that much different from getting a freshman. He wasn't a grad transfer. He wasn't even a proven P5 starter yet. Really different from getting Hurts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Hmmm... a step sideways?

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

If he goes to Eastern Illinois next, then definitely -- the Illini 2-step

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

From the Big XII to FCS Ohio Valley Conference would seem to be a big step backward. Could be personal issues requiring him to be near Charleston, IL..

25. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Sam, I didn’t realize that Sam also played left tackle left guard center right tackle right guard tight end slot receiver X receiver wide receiver running back and quarterback and… Left defense of end defense of tackle right defense of end linebacker linebacker linebacker linebacker conerback cornerbacksafety
    Deep snapper punt return kick return and field goal kicker.
    Head coach office of coordinator defensive coordinator position coaches strength coach

But if all those positions had Sam’s heart then “Sam’s” team wouldn’t lost 3-6 games.
    That’s it Sam WAS the problem the whole time, pom-poms you finally convinced me

The only freaking reason that Sam’s team didn’t lose 4 to 8 games a year was because OF Sam ....geez

Sark would give his right arm for this problematic QB to stay. He was duped as much as I was, until now.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  26. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

You need to lay off the sauce.
    Didn't I comment "it's not all Sam's fault, not by a long shot"
    And Sark doesn't need Sam.
    Take it from this expert.

27. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Don’t drink.
    The “ All that Sam has proved is that his teams have finished with 3-6 losses ” kinda threw me.
    Yeah, that’s ALL he has proved?

And yes you said in the next line it’s not his fault by a longshot- brings to mind saying “No Offense,,,,” and then telling someone they’re morbidly obese and have a low IQ... but no offense.

I also don’t think Sark Needs Sam,
    just like I don’t need a supermodel with a sex addiction,
    but it’s safe to say that we’d both be happy to have them stick around for a year.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  28. TexasFight86

TexasFight86 250+ Posts

Didn't have a good 2020 - 3 games, 6 solo tackles

Tackles Def Int Fumbles
    Year
    School Conf Class Pos G Solo Ast Tot Loss Sk Int Yds Avg TD PD FR Yds TD FF
    Texas Big 12 FR LB 11 24 21 45 3.0 2.5 1 13 13.0 0 2 0 0
    *2020 Texas Big 12 SO LB 3 6 4 10 0.0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0

• poop poop x 1
  29. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

Not sure if it was him or our D staff but he was rated pretty high coming in and was non existent this year. Wasnt he hurt at some point??

30. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

He’s been here since 2018. I remember him playing some, but don’t recall hearing his name called as being in the field in 2020. Don’t know why he didn’t play or if he did, I never heard his name called. Maybe he is another malcontent and just now deciding to leave, or he won’t be putting his cleats on the field.