Portal Transfers & Recruits

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Chop, Jun 20, 2022.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I don’t know anything about McKinney.

Stewart has the nastiest stuff on our pitching staff. His problem is control. That’s something he can work on and improve. But he throws fastballs in the upper 90s and his slider drops to the basement right over the plate. He’s got the sort of stuff that has MLB scouts drooling. But to be a winning college pitcher, he must get his control down. He’s sort of like another Nixon—but with even nastier stuff. Hate to see him leave. Wherever he goes, if Stewart can master his control, he’ll be a beast on the mound. Possible MLB pitcher someday.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  2. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

This is a troubling trend.

3. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Nothing is going to change until a pitching coach is announced. If he doesn't move the needle in a positive direction that would be troubling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. HomeBrewHorn

HomeBrewHorn 100+ Posts

Appears Gavin Kash has entered the portal now too. :(

5. STHAustin

STHAustin 250+ Posts

Wow, that does concern me. I thought he was projected at 1st base next year

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

We’ll need a first baseman next year. Some of the incoming Freshmen can play, or have played, the position. Kash was very highly rated coming out of high school. He batted under 0.200 with no homeruns in limited action this year. Not enough at bats to know whether he’ll pan out or not—plus he’s still very young. The MLB scouts do like his power and swing.

7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

The way things are set up now—we should be losing some, AND WE SHOULD BE PICKING UP SOME…

8. HomeBrewHorn

HomeBrewHorn 100+ Posts

Trying not to panic at this point, but dang, let's see some positive movement somewhere.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I'm hopeful the ones entering are getting pushed out even though we aren't seeing it. Hopefully Pierce has a plan and isn't surprised by all of this.

10. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

In the portal:

:huskers:

Koty Frank
    Right hand Pitcher
    1 year of eligibility left

3.81 ERA
    Good control pitcher
    70 strikeouts
    19 walks
    In 59 innings

Definitely worth a look.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Now here’s an interesting prospect who is in the portal from UCLA. He had a back injury (Pars defect) that he’s now recovering from. A real stud before the injury. We should take a chance on him.

:ucla:
    Thatcher Hurd

RHP
    1.06 ERA
    48 strikeouts
    10 walks
    in 34.0 innings
    3-4 years eligibility left
    Was the #1 RHP in California high schools

12. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

This kid made a smart move. Schlossnagle is a top notch coach and would not have had a buddy be his pitching coach. He actually is/has pitching coaches. Someone on here says well our guy was assistant of the year. Thats like a oscar, other guys patting you on the back vs what you really did. How many of our pitchers improved this year? I say zero.

13. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Of course you do.

14. HomeBrewHorn

HomeBrewHorn 100+ Posts

I believe Stewart has already signed on with the aggys. So he's gone, both he and his parents were tweeting about it. Agree on Hurd. Also haven't seen if Skenes has landed anywhere, hopefully he's still holding out waiting for our pitching coach decision.

• Hot Hot x 1
  15. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Heston Tole transferring to Texas from Arkansas.

• Like Like x 1
  16. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Gordon
    Southard
    LBJ

They definitely improved

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

We'll see if he gets his control under control (pun fully intended...).

He has nasty stuff--it will be the nastiest on the ags pitching staff. But to succeed in college (and elsewhere), he has to master his control.

19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Longhorns Land RHP Transfer Heston Tole From Arkansas

[​IMG]

Heston Tole

transfer from U. of Arkansas
    3.77 ERA
    20 Strikeouts
    3 Walks

in 14 1/3 innings

Fastball up to the low 90s. Also throws a changeup, curve, and slider. Good control pitcher.

Heston Tole Class of 2020 - Player Profile | Perfect Game USA

"... side step into a high leg raise at start of delivery, works with a similar compact arm action through the back and utilizes a high three-quarters release point. Fastball topped out at 86 mph [in high school], mostly straight in life; pitched to contact and mixed a changeup at 78 mph that shows sink and a short, cutting slider also up to 78 mph."

"Tole made 10 appearances for the Razorbacks out of the bullpen this season, compiling a 3.77 ERA with 20 strikeouts and three walks in 14 1/3 innings of work. He will provide a consistent arm out of the bullpen for Texas in 2023"

Baseball Factory | Top Prospects | Heston Tole

"Heston continues to show a promising future on the diamond....He attacks hitters, throwing a lot of strikes as he works to get ahead of hitters through a quick tempo. ... Breaking ball displays 11/5 shape with late break. He maintains arm speed on his changeup, showing a feel for with arm side run. Control is outstanding as he attacks hitters and works to get ahead, utilizing both sides of the plate."

Prep Baseball Report - Player: Heston Tole

He sounds a bit like Harrison...? That would be good.

20. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

For Southard and LBJ you could argue they didn’t meet expectations in the first half of the season. But they righted the ship by tourney time, which is what matters.

• Like Like x 1
  21. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

I like what I see out of southard, he is the most dangerous pitcher I’ve seen on the staff so far. the rest are no slouches though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Another assistant has been reassigned. Phillip Miller.

• Hot Hot x 1
  23. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Reassigned...

So, is he now the guy responsible for sweeping out the dugout and mopping up the locker room now...?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  24. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

upload_2022-6-29_8-50-41.jpeg

Jared Southard

2.76 ERA
    1.16 WHIP
    46 Strikeouts
    19 Walks

in 29.1 innings pitched
    Teams bat 0.149 against him--that was the lowest on the staff this year.

Yep. Southard is a great guy to have. He throws fastballs in the high 90s, and can generally place them where he wants them. He's the flamethrower/speed burner of the staff, and he racks up a lot of strikeouts. He's also a real team player, and, per Coach Pierce, Southard has been setting up batting practice and doing lots of intangibles to help the team in and out of practices. Southard seems to be an emotional pitcher, and he gets real fired up.

Next year, he could either be our top closer, or one of our top middle relievers (the other being Harrison), or perhaps move into a starting role as needed (same with Harrison). We just don't know how many innings he can go yet without losing effectiveness.

Texas’ rejuvenated Jared Southard provides boss relief

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  25. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

We need to keep the transfer machine revved up to 100. The roster is looking pretty bare with the players projected to go pro.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

yeah, I can’t wait till the draft is over. I was looking at the roster yesterday and there are many that could decide either way. I imagine hansen is gone but depending on the pitching coach, even he could decide to come back and continue development although I don’t see it happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Take a look at Schlossnagel's (sp) recruiting commitment list. Must be 55 pitchers, including a kid starting his sophomore year of HS.

28. UT Horn Fan

UT Horn Fan 500+ Posts

So that means Allen and Tulo are gone and Miller has been "reassigned". The entire coaching staff has changed - minus Pierce. Is Miller's reassignment up or down?

29. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

• Like Like x 2
  30. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

good question, I think it was a promotion though. Assistant to the head coach.