Portal Transfers & Recruits

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Chop, Jun 20, 2022.

1. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Chop,

When we were allowed to help in recruiting, I always said that I might make a mistake, but it would be a BIG mistake.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I made sure mine were in the back yard. Put TV antennae on it to improve the reception plus it made a great diving platform for the kids and kept them off the roof of the doublewide.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

I don't know a thing about this youngster from Georgia. Just saw this while scrolling another site...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Yeah, I saw that, we’ve actually received a few commitments over the last week but it’s hard to get excited when they might get drafted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Re Moneyball—good movie. They really loved high OB%. Get them on base, and they score.

I’m no scout, and if I ever owned an MLB team, I’d probably screw it up. I might have the most homeruns of any team in the majors but the worst ERA or vice versa. But I personally like proven performance over measurables. John Madden applied this concept to football. He was a film guy, not a combine guy.

One thing I do know—the Mass. Cape Cod Summer League is a place to find good batters. The ERAs are very low there. They are the only ones outside pro baseball to use wooden bats. Get/trade draft picks for some of the top batters there. I also know that Chatham is one of the most wonderful places in the country in the Summer. I hear Nantucket is basically the same, but they don’t allow non-Billionaires on-island between June and August…. :rolleyes: Good sized Texas presence in both Chatham and Nantucket in the hot weather months.
    :beertoast:

7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Chop,

Remember this about MLB - the difference in a .300 hitter and a .250 hitter is one hit a week. GMs would rather have a .250 hitter with power than a .300 hitter; see also Terry Puhl. This information is compliments of Tal Smith when I asked why they traded one of their leading hitters.

8. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

9. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Got us another transfer, A Woody Williams link. Chris Stuart from San Jacinto. A 6'0" 215lb LHP from Amsterdam of all places. Will have 3 years of eligibiity I believe, currently listed as a freshman at San Jac.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  10. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

We also got another Commit (2025) in Will Hill, OF, Humble, Tx.

• Like Like x 1
  11. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  12. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

agreed, the power sells more tickets but I’ve always been an avg guy. I want fewer strike outs with the highest avg I can get. I can teach a guy to hit for more power.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Got a pretty big transfer in from Long Beach St., Tanner Carlson, inf. He will be a senior.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Big transfer indeed. Dude bats around 0.345 and can play third base or first base. He’ll have one year. Looks like a repeat of Skye Messinger coming in for one year at third base and batting North of 0.350.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

He’s played all four infield positions. More of a contact/hi batting avg guy than a power hitter.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Minchey was home schooled, so he may have flown under the radar a bit. The private leagues and Summer leagues can get players noticed though. Glad to have him onboard. We need more good arms.

17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Chop,

Is he the kid from up by Woodlands/Oak Ridge?

18. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Article says Jarrell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Nope.

Minchey is from Jarrell—that town North of Georgetown that got blasted by that tornado around 25-30 years ago.

20. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Jarrell, where there is a sign on I-35 saying "Jarrell Next 5 Exits"

Before the tornado they only had one.

• Hot Hot x 1
  21. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

NCAA D1 Council Endorses New Transfer Portal Deadline, Other Concepts • D1Baseball

New changes to the Baseball/Spring Sports Portal have been endorsed by the D1 council.

The endorsed concepts from the D1 Council would allow players to enter the transfer portal 60 days from the day after the NCAA postseason selections. For instance, had this rule been in effect for the 2022 season, the deadline to enter the portal would be July 29. Assuming these concepts are formally approved, the deadline to enter for the 2023 season would be July 28.

There are two trains of thought on the 60-day entry window:

It provides more flexibility from a student-athlete standpoint. Let’s say a team goes heavy in the portal and has more players than expected spurn overtures from the MLB draft, and there’s suddenly a log jam from a roster standpoint. Student-athletes would now have until the end of July to enter the portal. On the flip side, the late entry date would require an immediate decision when it comes to college choice. A lot of universities begin classes by the middle of August and a quick decision would be necessary.

22. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

23. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

We still need to bring in some more pitchers.

24. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Why? Most of them were bad last year.

25. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Most of the pitchers in the portal were bad last year?
    Plenty of them were good.

26. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

No, most of the pitchers on our staff were bad last year. We were better off without them. When something is bad, I use less of it, not more!

27. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Ummmm. We need pitchers.

28. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Cross-posted from another thread:

[​IMG]
    Porter Brown (Texas Christian)
    Joins the Horns through the Portal

Porter Brown batted 0.276
    , but with 5 homeruns in only 98 at bats (their everyday starters typically had around 210-220 at bats). That would translate to 11 homeruns on the year for an everyday starter--that's some pretty good power. Brown also had a 0.480 slugging %--the 3rd best on TCU's squad last year. While these aren't all-conference numbers, this is the sort of player that would easily start most places in the conference and will drive in some runs.

Zero errors on the year with 29 po. Also 8 stolen bases in 9 attempts. We have no idea how our batting lineup will perform next year, and we lost an enormous amount of power, so this is a good pickup.

Updated TCU Baseball Stats (PDF) - TCU Athletics

29. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Porter Brown is also good running bases--one of the weakest (and stupidest) parts of our game last year. 8 of 9 stolen bases last year for Porter.

[​IMG]
    upload_2022-7-28_15-21-45.jpeg
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 1