Portal Transfers & Recruits

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Chop, Jun 20, 2022.

1. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

that is funny and a short insight to mlb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Another thing about focusing on the prospects with a high OB% is that the players who draw a lot of walks really drive up the pitch count. Opponents with weak bullpens are at a disadvantage against lineups that walk a lot and otherwise have high OB%.

One things the stats don’t capture well is “clutch” play. Maybe RBI plays into that somewhat.

Take football—looking at stats only, Warren Moon was much better than Terry Bradshaw, Johnny Unitas, Roger Staubach, Joe Montana, Joe Theisman, Phil Simms, Steve Young, or many others with the hardware and rings. And I liked Moon, but that dude could not manage the clock with a big game on the line. Plus, put Moon and Glanville together in a big game and you’ve got the recipe for a choke; that and some really dumb plays.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  3. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I say we take all the nil money for 14 pitchers and spend on it on 7 good ones, and free up spots for walk-ons. Quality, not quantity. All we had last year was quantity.

4. utahorn

utahorn 500+ Posts

Chop, do you think Moon would have done better with a different coaching staff? He did win 5 Grey Cup Championships in the CFL. Never an Oiler fan nor hater but I always thought that Glanville was a goof.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

I think you’re going to see a fairly big difference with this same staff and woody. It may take mid year to see it after a few games and I think we will have a dangerous pitching identity by the end of the year. Consistency across the staff.

6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

uta,

I almost got arrested for cussing screaming into a "white courtesy phone" that had Glanville on the other end. I do think I hold the record for most hyphens in one audible sentence in IAH. Idiot had me paged to ask me what he should tell the media out in front of his house.

In not so nice terms I told him to start by not opening the door, stay out of sight, and within the hour I'd have his problem fixed. He didn't. So "a goof" is probably the nicest thing anyone ever called the moron.

7. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Moon was a great QB for sure, if I remember correctly, he was more accurate than folks will probably give home credit for. I saw him make some great throws back in the 80’s.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

While I have met him several times, I really don't know him. Did him a huge favor once, but I'm not sure he knew it was me, and I preferred to keep it that way. I did it because one of my closest friends asked me to, and because if there was ever a subpoena, it would be to him and not me.

9. STHAustin

STHAustin 250+ Posts

Bummer. I just saw on Twitter that Skenes is going to LSU.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  10. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Geez. Paul Skenes to LSU. LSU is going to be tough next year, that coach must be fearing for his job like no other after the dismal year they had.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Moon was an outstanding QB during run-of-the-mill regular season games. Hence, the excellent stats. When it came playoff time, or the pressure of a big game was pressing on him, he really struggled. Very good QB, but the opposite of a clutch player.

That, and very, very poor clock management in big games kept the Oilers from having super bowl rings.

12. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Update--Alex Rao got drafted by the Phillies.

13. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Update--Aoki transferred to USC. He's from Huntington Beach, so he'll fit in well there.

14. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Elijah Trest is still in the portal. Some have questions about his consistency and control. Real good stuff though...

15. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Frank will transfer to Arkansas.

What Frank wants to be:
    [​IMG]

16. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Julian Bosnic will transfer to Arkansas.

What Bosnic wants to be:
    [​IMG]

17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Van Horn is a good coach. But when your mascot is a pig, you've got a big fat target on your rear end...

18. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

It appears that he’s going to work out just fine.

Outfield is looking strong.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Bump. Pierce is going to resort to the following strategy like he did last year when he needed to win: use less pitchers, not more.

20. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Wishful thinking.

21. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Yes, can't disagree with you, I was expecting Morehouse, Stehle and LBJ to improve more by now, they have great stuff. I'm as disappointed in their development as anyone, there is some serious talent on that staff but throwing strikes is imperative to success. Pierce stayed with those talented arms as long as he could throughout the season, i think he lost some games because of it. He made a sound decision last night to go with Tole instead of Morehouse but thank god Gordon went 8 innings so we didn't have to get too deep into the pen. Tomorrow and Monday are different stories though, to be continued.......

If Witt is back to old form by the playoffs, can we win with just Gordon, Witt, Tole, Burke, Lummus, Minchey, & Whitehead? :idk:

• Like Like x 1
  22. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

No, you can’t. Unless they all do **** they’ve never done. Or the hitting completely takes over.

Minchey hasn’t done ****. He was worse in his only Big 12 start than Sthele was. Going 3 versus ACU when we score 3 then 8 is virtually meaningless in showing any reliability. His best game was 3 innings versus a middling team that hadn’t seen him before.

And I thought Lummus was on the trash heap two different times? But now he’s not.

LBJ has pitched in 6 Big 12 games. In 5 of those his ERA is less than 3.0. One bad one.

Shaw is better than Whitehead. But Whitehead has utility.

Sthele pitched 3 scoreless in last years regional. As a starter. He probably had a more up and down year last year.

Morehouse can throw high 90s. He has gotten outs. He’s gotten big outs. You don’t give up on that.

Unlike prior years, Pierce isn’t giving up on guys. He shouldn’t. If he thinks their stuff was good enough initially, stick with it. But know, there will be less than ideal performances. But guess what? They’ve all had moments of good performances as well.

23. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

I totally left Shaw off by mistake, he's performed well enough to be mentioned. good catch.

24. 10SNE1?

10SNE1? 500+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  25. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Great numbers. We'll need him. We lose our entire starting OF after this year, but Thomas could play OF (his natural position with his exceptional speed), and Belyeu may pan out well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Bump

27. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

We need OF. Returning youngsters are mostly IF and catcher.

28. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Is incoming California Freshman Zaharias a descendent of the legendary athlete Babe Zaharias?

29. STHAustin

STHAustin 250+ Posts

She had no children.

30. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Clones?

• Funny Funny x 1