Transfers

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by 05Longhorn, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Looking at the 2015-2016 USC season, Jatarie played in 31 games (missing 3 in February due to illness) and averaged 13.0 minutes. It is unfair to compare her stats on a per game basis to players who logged double her minutes. Comparing players on a per minute basis produces a more accurate picture.

It is impossible to gauge the effect of missed practices and games in her overall development - she also missed 12 games due to illness/injury her freshman season. As others have noted, a full year of rehabilitation and practice is probably just what the doctor ordered.

In a fantasy world, far, far away, coaches would love to know how effectively their high-school recruits will transition to the demands of the college game. Almost every player on the floor is better than anyone they competed against in HS. Players are faster, stronger, taller and more skilled. A McD All-Star may kill it in college, or simply not pan out; you never know. With Jatarie, KA has a two-year window into this uncertain future.

What has Jatarie accomplished on the college level compared to her peers, A'ja Wilson and Alaina Coates of USC and our own Kelsey Lang and Imani Boyette? All four are successful 6'4"+ players who often played at an elite level at their positions. I would argue that this high level of competitiveness is what Karen has established as the standard at Texas, so the comparisons are justified. Other, less talented transfers have to look elsewhere.

I don't expect my Post to be a scoring machine. That would be nice, but not crucial. Jatarie is not a scoring machine (3.0 ppg and .341 fg% last year). Strong rebounding, good defense and effective inside/out passing are far more important. Also in the post, you tend to pick up a lot of fouls. A good free throw shooter can make the opponent pay. As good as Nneka was, she regressed in this area her senior year and Karen could not afford to keep her on the floor late in games.

The following table provides some insight into what we can expect.
    Player Min/Game Minutes Rebounds Rebounds/Min FT% Blocks Blocks/Min
    Coates 26.6 903 344 .381 .563 53 .059
    Wilson 26.9 860 277 .322 .722 65 .076
    White 13.0 404 93 .230 .615 5 .012
    Lang 18.8 675 162 .240 .814 31 .046
    Boyette 22.8 822 322 .392 .786 104 .127

We may not see another shot blocker and rebounder like Boyette for quite some time. Sedona Prince has that potential if the stars align in 2018. Clearly White is not a shot blocker. That's OK, if she can improve her foot quickness and defensive positioning she will be solid.

The most comparable player is Kelsey Lang without Kelsey's good free-throw shooting. But that skill can also be improved with practice.

The most important statistic is Karen's confidence that Jatarie has the potential to succeed Lang.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ervin White

Ervin White < 25 Posts

went a player confindent has been taken away and not replace at all you get what you give from a young player they don't know how to respond to being told not to shoot the ball during the game or they will be benched if they shoot. this is why players have problems with coaches that lie to them about how they are going to be used in their system during the recruiting process.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

The only thing that matters to me is Coach Karen wants Jatarie on our team. We have learned to trust Coach, as I know you have too. What coach wants is good enough for me.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  4. Ervin White

Ervin White < 25 Posts

Ok Texas family you'll got ur wish heres Jatarie

• Like Like x 3
  5. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Glad she is at Texas.
    Hookem'

6. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Jatarie is THE ONE that I wanted... I was surprised she didn't come to us after her freshman season at SC. But, you can't say she didn't give Dawn Staley and her staff a chance. She'll have two years left at Texas and she's going to do very well. Believe that!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Things have a funny way of working out. After Jatarie's freshman season, we only had room for one incoming transfer, and Khaleann ended up getting it, and Audrey-Anne went JUCO for one year before transferring in this summer. No way of knowing how things would have turned out had Jatarie left USC after her freshman season . . .

• Like Like x 2
  8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Like Jatarie, she will have to sit out this season.

9. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

I tell you what, we need to look out for Tech, they are rapidly building a collection of top tier talent. I've never paid attention to CW's x's & o's because quite frankly there was never a reason. But if she is even halfway good, they could be a team to sneak up and make a lot of noise in the coming years.

10. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I agree. They'll be right up there with Baylor and OU as major rivals.

• Like Like x 1
  11. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Yep. Tech is gonna be a team to reckon with again... Glad to see it. I have paid attention to CW's Xs and Os and have been impressed... all she's needed was a little talent to work with and she's starting to get that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Seems the Big 12 is very popular with transferring bigs:

13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I don't think Tech is anywhere close to being up there with Baylor, but middle of the pack is definitely possible; not sure if it will be this coming season, but perhaps the next. They do seem to have more recruiting momentum than OU, that's for sure.

But, it all depends on how much time she is given to continue the rebuilding job in Lubbock. Dupree and Caldwell in the back court is definitely the best set of guards they have had in a while, though. They will need freshman, Brittney Brewer and/or transfer Jada Terry to play well in the post if they want to make significant progress from last season.

14. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I didn't mean they were on the level of Baylor..... just that they will have to be taken very seriously and, in my opinion, will soon be in the top 4 or 5 teams.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts