Travel fridge

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Macanudo, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

We have a long (by our standards) road trip coming up and I thought about getting a small travel fridge for the car. I'd like one that can also (via adapter) be used in a regular outlet too. Anyone have a rec?

2. Orange&White

Orange&White 1,000+ Posts

I have had three in the past 5 years. They don't get very cold and they usually only last for a few months. (~ 3 months). Cold enough for a soda, but not cold enough to keep half and half from going bad too fast.

However, I use it as regular fridge (it is plugged in constantly) at work near my desk. I doubt they are made for that sort of use.

3. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

Sidetrack. This doesn't answer your question, but I've had good results simply using a large ice chest with block ice. I have a separate ice chest for drinks and such, but one with a couple of blocks will keep perishables (meat, milk) cold enough for almost a week even in the desert. Block ice won't get your beer frosty cold in a hurry, but will last several times longer than cubes and will cool much longer.

4. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

I took the family on a 3-week long roadtrip last summer and purchased the second travel fridge thinking the first I'd bought a year earlier was simply "poor quality". The second wasn't any better. It will keep a soda as cool as if you had it sitting in front of a vent with the air conditioner on. That's it. Additionally, due to the fan you really can't have anything around the fridge or you will even further degrade their ****** performance.

We'll be taking another long road trip this summer and I'm going with the more simple small cooler and ice. It will be tremendously more effective. You can easily replace the ice each day.

5. William Cannon

William Cannon 250+ Posts

how much are you willing to spend? I have a buddy who camps a lot and has a built in high end fridge in his truck. I'm sure it's pricey. If you want me to find out about it, send me a PM (at the other place we frequent since I don't come here as often).

6. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts