Travelling to India

Discussion in 'Esther's Follies' started by Hornin Hong Kong, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Hornin Hong Kong

Hornin Hong Kong 1,000+ Posts

no matter how careful you are, always carries with it a price.

Thak god for my Toto.

2. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Whatever you do, don't use the bathroom there.

3. Hornin Hong Kong

I only use the bathroom at the office and at the four seasons.

From Hong Kong you have your choices flying home at 2305, 0205 and 0405

so the question is:

Do you fly the

2305 on Kingfisher, get no Asia/OnWorlc miles and 5 hours sleep and be morally obligated to come into the office (They have ridiculously hot flight attendents)

0205 on Jet Airways, get Asia Miles, get in at 9:00 AM and probably go in

0405 on Cathay, get OneWorld and Cathay sectors and not go in but have to spend 3 hours in thier horrible lounge,

Either way your body rebels and the next day begins to collapse.

4. Longhorny630

Longhorny630 1,000+ Posts

Did you know it's the only country that still has the plague? I mean, the plague, please!

5. soonerinatlanta

soonerinatlanta 100+ Posts

Last time I went to Bangalore, the food / water at the company's guest house made me and my housemate sick. Unfortunately, my sickness kicked in about 3 hrs in the air out of Bangalore enroute to Frankfurt. I couldn't hold down anything including water for more than 15 min.

I landed in Frankfurt and walked a long, long way to my gate destined for Dallas. Laying on the floor (the wonderful cool tile floor), I weighed the pros and cons of aborting my flight and finding a hotel. I didn't have the strength, so I laid there on the floor until boarding time. I kept telling myself "this is gonna be the worst flight of your life. Power through it."

Once I was seated, I looked at the unlucky woman next to me and told her my status. Not contagious but sicker than hell. I had my first experience with the inflight barf bag sitting there waiting to take off. Fortunately, I'm a world class sleeper on flights. I doze off and in the sleep of the dead until.... the food carts came out. This thrust me from my sleep. The smell. Holy hell. The smell. I sprinted to the restroom and camped out there. For the remainder of the flight. Wave after wave of sickness. Dehydration. Occasionally, a flight attendant would come by to check on me. I'd contort myself in all sorts of positions in the stall trying to sleep. By the end of the flight, the flight attendants told me I'd get a wheelchair. I didn't have the energy to do anything but nod.

So, there I am sitting in a wheelchair next to an old woman and a teenage girl who apparently had an emotional breakdown during the flight. I was just laughing at the situation. I did learn one thing. If you have to go through customs, do it in a wheelchair. They open up a special line for the invalids. The customs agent doesn't have the heart to give you a hard time.

Have fun on your trip!

6. Hornin Hong Kong

im back now - you just have to be real careful as in showering with your mouth closed, only eat at hotels (I fail at this), no ice etc

7. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

My FIL has some great India stories. He married a lady from India (MIL) and went over to her tiny village to prove that he is billybob badass and only ate the spicy stuff at the family dinner. He couldnt even make it to the family outhouse before he had to jump a wall and let loose. They all had a good time laughing at him. I cant wait to go.

8. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

I buy beer (in sealed bottles) from an indian-owned liquor store. That's as close as I intend to get to that giant ********.

9. Longhorny630

Longhorny630 1,000+ Posts

Slumdog is on dvd people, no need to actually go there.

10. WFLIP

WFLIP 25+ Posts

I'll be heading to Chennai, India in 3 weeks. Gonna be there for work for 9 weeks. Should be interesting.

1/7 Fly to LA for the game
    1/8 Fly back to S.A.
    1/11 Fly to Chennai via L.A. and Singapore.

11. NativeTXchic

NativeTXchic 1,000+ Posts

My boss is from there, as is her husband, and they just left Friday to go back. Don't think I would ever go though.

12. Majorhornfan

Majorhornfan 100+ Posts

My parents came from India in the late sixties. I was born and raised in the good 'ol USA.

I went to India 5 years ago and had the greatest time (except the 1st week I had massive diaherra and fever from drinking the water) I was there for a month just drinking some Kingfisher beer and eating local food in these small *** towns in the Gujurat District.

I spent New Years in Mumbai (Bombay) at the J.W. Marriot. The highlight was running into Eriq "Soul GLo" LaSalle (Yes of Coming To America fame) at the Hotel. And this C rated actor had his boys tell me "No autographs"!! I had no intention of even asking.

13. ut1978

ut1978 100+ Posts

Anybody flying within India should fly Kingfisher. Their stews are hot, hot, HOT. They even have a calendar (google kingfisher calendar).

14. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

My recent memories of India are not good. Was on business in Trinidad and after returning was called on Monday morning by Citi Bank asking if I had someone in Mumbai buying jewelry - as in a $6K purchase. I said no and promptly cancelled the credit card.

Over the next 3 days, $80K in jewelry, silver and gold was charged to that credit card from merchants in India. The surprising thing is that I didn't/don't have nearly that high a credit limit. But, Citi took care of it. Oh well.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

15. Hornin Hong Kong

I was just in Delhi and its not as abd as mumbai - onloy takes 40 minutes to get into town

16. dang-str8

dang-str8 1,000+ Posts

Take a Longhorn Gnome and take some pictures.

17. Hornin Hong Kong

ok tell me more tht mght be funny

18. dang-str8

dang-str8 1,000+ Posts

You're a world traveler, it would be awesome if you took some pictures with my Walter... But he's on his way to Saudi Arabia right now... But you can order your very own on amazon, or get one at the COOP..,

check out my group... Just started it:The Link

19. A. BETTIK

A. BETTIK 1,000+ Posts

The plague crops up on the Denver news every now and then. Apparently prarie dogs carry it still.