Traylor

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Horns11, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I'm just going to throw this out there and see what sticks. Irresponsible? Maybe. But I think it needs to be said.

I think Traylor gave up on supporting the rest of the staff (and possibly his own TE/ST position players) when he lobbied for other jobs when it was apparent that he wasn't going to be promoted to OC last offseason. And again when Strong had to use his capital to get Traylor to sign off on Gilbert.

In 2006, when Chizik was lobbying for HC positions because Mack told him he wasn't stepping down any time soon and he might as well leave while the gettin' was good, we saw what happened to the on-field results. Spotted Tech and Iowa big leads and needed Colt to get us into a position to come back. Friggin' lost to KSU and Ron Prince with little or no defensive help. Chizik was at a restaurant with ISU's AD the night before that game. Players tried to rally against A&M but couldn't finish strong. The resulting promotion to Duane Akina and bringing in Larry Mac Duff was disastrous and left us in a lurch until Muschamp came along.

I think a similar thing is happening with Traylor right now.

The primary area of concern is special teams. It arguably cost us the KSU game, played a lesser extent in costing us the Cal game, and nearly cost us the Notre Dame game. It was downright laughable against OK State, but in all, I blame the D and our 2nd half offense for that one. Is Traylor accountable for the ST units? Does he correct things when they don't work? I think the answer to both of those questions is no. Our TEs have one catch this year. It was a 39-yarder for a TD. I don't know if that's more on Gilbert and his philosophy about getting the TE involved, but it seems like Traylor-coached positions and schemes haven't done us a lick of good in 2016. There was so much promise when he had increased responsibilities last year. I think it's obvious he wants out and doesn't mind if Texas takes its pitfall in the process.

2. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Not that I agree or know much about Traylor, but I am hearing the same thing about Herman from my Houston Cougar friends. They say the reason Houston is sucking is that after the Cal/OSU debacle, Herman started getting calls from Texas and has let his efforts lag.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I doubt it, but if fielding calls from schools is enough distraction to cause a loss for his current team - do we really want that person?

4. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I have that same thought.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

p town,

That is pure unadulterated ********, as is virtually every report coming out of the Third Ward. Herman ain't talking to anyone during the season. His agent, however, is another matter.

As for his team, those kids bought what Herman was selling. They really thought they had a shot at the final four. With their injuries mounting, they **** the bed against Navy, after which they no longer had anything to play for. The true character of the team may be coming out, which may be, and likely is a direct reflection on the coaching staff not being able to control or inspire the team.

That said, I'll still take Herman!

• Like Like x 1
  6. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I had kind of hoped that might be the case (and still am skeptical if it is), if only because it seems like that's where this thing is headed and I don't want to hire a guy that was coaching with his A game when he got punked by SMU.

• Like Like x 2
  7. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Well isn't Charlie being said that he can't coach because of twitter and message board posts? Isn't being "left alone".