“Trick” plays

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Dionysus, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I was rewatching the UCLA game and in the 3rd quarter (9:50 on the clock) when Shipley takes the pitch and then throws to DJ Grant for the TD, one of the announcers says ‘and the trick play works!’

Maybe I’m picking a semantic nit here but these aren’t tricks, they’re just unexpected, or unconventional, but maybe that’s because everyone else is just more traditional in their approach. It’s just a legal football play like any other. I’m surprised more teams don’t do it actually.

I get it: the defense was tricked. But isn’t that the objective with a lot of plays? Misdirection, pump fakes, etc. A big part of the game is deception. I guess it’s just jargon anyway but I always think of these kinds of plays as just something that was intended to mislead in order for the play to be effective.

/rant

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

I'm with you. I think the notion of a trick play is a once a season desperation play to get a quick score. Those plays are fine, too,

However, we use misdirection, reverses, fake reverses and option passes coordinated with a power running game to generate hesitation and doubt in a defense on every down. These "trick" plays are integrated into the overall offense.

Also, I believe "trick play" touchdowns count as much as winged T touchdowns, don't they?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 71grad

71grad 1,000+ Posts

WRs and RBs ave been throwing the ball for decades. They are not "trick" plays but that is the media tag that has been put on Harsin.

4. LANike

LANike 25+ Posts

Whenever we run the jet sweep it is a key for the safety to walk up to the box to play run support. The pass from the jet sweep keeps the safety back and makes him play honest. This also keeps the safety back out of the box when we fake the jet sweep and hand it off to the running back going up the middle.

I believe the passes are all by design to force the defense to play honest and not allow them to walk the safety up.

This is not a trick play but sound fundamental football.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gdu

gdu 1,000+ Posts

They're only called "trick" plays when teams like Boise run them.

6. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

It’s like OMG the guy throwing the ball isn’t a QB — total trickeration!!! — oh look the QB caught a pass from the slot receiver, that’s so trickyfied!!

It’s football.

7. WabashCannon

WabashCannon 250+ Posts

I like our new "tricked" out offense [​IMG]

8. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

Harsin's assembly line offense is smart. Instead of having every player learn and practice every play in the book. Find out what each player excels at and design a package and small set of plays for them. Makes things simple for the player which makes the plays effective. [​IMG]

9. 84 Horn

84 Horn 500+ Posts

trick u twice shame on u [​IMG]

10. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

Anything this year other than a two-yard out seems like a trick play.

11. TexinID

TexinID 25+ Posts

12. horn4jc

horn4jc 1,000+ Posts

I know OU is heavily favored in the RRR but I feel better about our chances with Harsin in the booth. He will counter OU's athleticism with plays that will have a chance to succeed. Also, run right at them and punch them in the mouth.

13. avoiding work

avoiding work < 25 Posts

I am probably wrong on this, but I though Mack Brown coined the term "trickeration." I heard him say it several years ago back when OU was on a winning streak and there were many complaints about the lack of creativity on UT's offense. But then again, I don't follow too much football outside of the Longhorns.

Back to point, I agree with the original poster - I think the phrase should be "creative" play, not "trick" play. I think a play-action pass is a creative play, if done at the right time. I would not call it a trick play, even though if done well, it tricks the defense.

14. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

15. SoonerAtKU

SoonerAtKU 100+ Posts

I think the general argument that you'll hear from the established coaches/writers is that it's not "playing fundamental football". I think that's *********. If you're playing below-HS level ball, fine, you teach fundamentals and you have fun. If you're trying to develop an actual offensive philosophy, you do things that are consistent with your vision.

Harsin and Petersen like a defense to be confused and hesitant. They run plays that have similar looks and different formations and movement to accomplish that goal.

Kevin Wilson and Josh Heupel have a similar goal, but with the added incentive of wearing out a defense. In 2008, they had two key players that turned that hurry-up offense into what it became. Jermaine Gresham and DeMarco Murray could flex from WR to TE, and from RB to WR, meaning that with the same personnel on the field, you can go from a 5-wide look to a standard shotgun look, to an ace back set under center. And the defense cannot substitute to suit their play calls. Having a hyper-accurate QB certainly doesn't hurt.

You establish an identity and then you recruit to your system, then you execute to win. Tricks don't enter into it if it's part of your DNA. You don't see Boise teams get down after a "trick" play doesn't work. It's also why teams who routinely go for it on 4th downs don't experience the emotional letdown of getting stopped on 3rd down, or turning it over after failing to convert a 4th. They're prepared for it and it's no different than dropping a pass or slipping on the turf.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. ShatyUT

ShatyUT 100+ Posts

Who cares if they call them trick plays. If they work, then they work.

17. SoonerAtKU

SoonerAtKU 100+ Posts

Also, at one point the Wishbone Triple Option was a gimmick. And the forward pass.

These things will be more accepted as we move forward and people who have a problem with it stop calling games and coaching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

Ok so the next time we score conventionally- maybe the announcer will say "And the fundamental football play works!"

It's exciting, it's unexpected- but it's not really a trick. Making a rabbit disappear for kids, or guessing the right card in a deck- those are tricks.

19. everybodygodeep

everybodygodeep 500+ Posts

Play action is a trick play.
    A pump fake is a trick play.

It is unconventional, but it takes longer to say that.

20. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

The purpose of any offensive play is to trick the defense so that the play works. There. Every play is a trick play, unless its a Greg Davis play, in which case its a predictable play.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Longtex

Longtex 100+ Posts

22. Leland01

Leland01 100+ Posts

After years of Greg Davis', I think the "surprise" to most anyone watching UT on offense do something unique (and successful) makes it seem like a magical trick play.

[​IMG]

23. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

I submit to you that every play is a "trick play".
    Pump fake - trying to trick the secondary.
    Play action - trying to trick the linebackers.
    QB changing cadence - trying to trick d-line into false start.
    Hitch route - receiver trying to trick defender that he is running downfield.
    QB sneak - "sneak"
    Quick kick - trying to trick defense that you are not punting.
    ....and a ton of other plays.

• Like Like x 1
  24. JuniorHorn11

JuniorHorn11 25+ Posts

While I agree that Shipley (or Harris) throwing the ball on the reverse is sound football, a WR throwing a pass would usually be categorized as a trick play. No arguments that the announcers were awful though. "He didn't have to hit him that hard to make a play." [​IMG]

25. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

26. UTis2much

UTis2much 100+ Posts

If another team scored on our defense with that play... people on here would be calling it a "trick" play. Who cares what it is. You do what you need to do to put points on the board.

27. HornHawk

HornHawk 250+ Posts

You call it a trick play--I call it smart football

28. Pentaconta

Pentaconta 1,000+ Posts

I love that we have an offense that is tailored for our players, rather than trying to shoehorn our players into an offensive system. (pun intended)

As irritating as the Pirate could be at times (specifically, bitching about any and every call against Tech), I do miss seeing his offense on the field. It was possibly the most innovative offense going at the time. The Pirate thinks outside of the box. I love that in our own unique way, we now have an offense that is a bit outside of the box, too.

[​IMG]

29. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

They aren't trick plays at all, imho. They're just part of the offense and taking advantage of overpursuit once the run is established.

It's all about establishing the run and then taking advantage.

30. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts