True Detective HBO

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by Jim Bob, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Jim Bob

Jim Bob 1,000+ Posts

I'm surprised nobody has started a thread on this series. Woody Harrelson is strong as a Louisiana detective with marital issues. Matthew Mcconaughey is absolutely killing it as his moody, oddball partner. As they work together on a serial killer case, we learn more about their personal histories. The dialogue, character development and interaction between the two is some of the best stuff I've seen on television.

It's an eight part, one season series that is now half over, but HBO subscribers can see it on the HBO GO website. Check it out.

2. bevo barry

bevo barry 500+ Posts

On a scale of 1 to 10 this show get a solid 10 from me. Can't help but think that both Woody and Matthew will be competing against each other at next year's Golden Globes and SAG awards for best actor in a TV or cable mini-series. And episode 2 shows off one of the best racks I have ever seen!

3. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

The only stop down and must watch on TV for me at this time.

4. Unques prist

Unques prist 250+ Posts

Ditto to the above. Love the show.

5. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

Great show. Last night's episode was off-the-rails awesome. The story line and writing gives these actors the chance to create so much texture with their characters. Woody and Matthew are putting on a lights-out acting show.

6. Jim Bob

Jim Bob 1,000+ Posts

I liked the way they showed Rust scarring his veins and taking a generous snort of the stolen cocaine. It had a "back in the saddle again" quality that suggested he's drawn to the dangerous life. They're now venturing into Rust's territory and Marty isn't at all sure he wants to be there.

7. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

The series is well done.

8. The Eyes of Texas

The Eyes of Texas 500+ Posts

Love this show. .. It looks like next week we're going to start getting a better idea of what the current day detectives are Street. .. preview shows Rust telling them to get a warrant.

9. EPThorn

EPThorn 500+ Posts

Maybe the best TV series i have ever seen. Mcconaughey and Harrelson are absolutely brilliant together and i wonder why they haven't don't more in the past together.

10. Jim Bob

Jim Bob 1,000+ Posts

11. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

12. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Real art and one of the best, if not the best show on television now. It's a shame that something like this is the exception to all the reality crap that dominates programing these days.

Another great show in my opinion is interestingly another premium channel offering - Banshee on Cinemax. Not as cerebral as True Detective, but some of the best action drama on television, without the gratuitous sex that Cinemax is noted for. Oh there's still sex and nudity, but it actually serves a purpose within the storyline.

13. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

Michelle Monaghan as Maggie turns in a powerful performance. Having written Marty off, she unleashes a cunning and utterly devastating neutron bomb on the Cohle/Hart partnership. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned . . .

The tete-tete between Reverend Tuttle and Rust Cohle was delicious.

14. Jim Bob

Jim Bob 1,000+ Posts

I never meet girls like that at my cell phone store.

15. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

17. Third Coast

It seems like most sex scenes on TV are thirty seconds, or less. I guess when you only have about forty-five minutes of actual show time every second is at a premium. [​IMG]

I feel Michelle Monaghan as Maggie is great in the series. Her growing frustration and distrust of Marty is as palpable as her attraction and ability to relate to the haunted Cohle. The entire cast of this show seems just perfect for the roles they play.

18. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

Lili Simmons is who plays Beth (the Verizon Girl). She is also a secondary-ish character Rebecca Bowman in the Cinemax show Banshee. Based on her work in Banshee, she had NO problems with the role on True Detective.

19. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

20. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

21. bevo barry

bevo barry 500+ Posts

22. Third Coast

I get the feeling that things aren't going to end well for Rust and/or Marty.

23. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Nothing ever mattered much to Rust except solving the case. Marty's lost everything that ever mattered to him.

It was in a different place but "freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose.." Rust has as much as said he wants to solve this so he can die in peace.

24. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

25. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

The Link

McConaughey is done with this show.

26. Third Coast

27. Jim Bob

Jim Bob 1,000+ Posts

I'm just hoping they can finish the series with the same level of quality as the first 7 episodes. They have a lot to wrap up in just one hour. If they can end it with a bang, there will be a lot of buzz for next year's story, no matter who is in it.

28. Jim Bob

Jim Bob 1,000+ Posts

Does anybody else think there might be a particular significance to Marty hooking up with the young prostitute years after the initial investigation? A gorgeous girl who's connected to the case runs into the middle aged horndog cop and comes on to him, with predictable results. After he wants the affair to cool off, she calls him with an offer he can't refuse. Is she acting on somebody's instructions? This show doesn't do anything by accident. There must be a reason for him to cheat with this particular girl.

29. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

30. Jim Bob

Jim Bob 1,000+ Posts

Torito, I agreet that the cell phone store meeting would seem to be a random occurrence. However, I had the impression that she came into the bar because she knew he was there. She was also the instigator of the affair, flattering and cozying up next to him in the parking lot, then asking if he wanted some bourbon. It seems pretty deliberate.

Considering the two girls Detective Hart has nude scenes with, I can't help but think that Woody Harrelson had a hand in casting this series. Yikes.