Trulucks

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by Horn_2004, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Horn_2004

Horn_2004 25+ Posts

Made reservations for today, Monday, being that they have the all you can eat Stone Crab. My wife is pregnant and craving crab as the doctor said it was ok for her to eat. However, I just got a call saying that they are out of the all you can eat crab due to the coastal waters being too choppy today for the crab to arrive today.

I was looking forward to this and we are celebrating are V- Day early due to both of us having to work this upcoming weekend. I know I can go any Monday but next several weeks are busy as hell and we are out of town both Mondays. I was pissed off but guess I'll reckon on something else. Oh well, just kinda sad now.

2. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

You can get crabs by sleeping with a stripper. Go to a club, hook up with one and then bring the crabs home to her.

3. Horn_2004

Horn_2004 25+ Posts

GREAT IDEA!! Crab buffet for her. By the way, it's a girl.

4. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

The Mishtress and I are not big fans of the stone crab claw Monday. They are a bit of work, and the meat isn't as good as other options.

The wife likes the Alaskan King Crab legs, and I like the Norwegian option. More expensive, yes, but better.

5. Horn_2004

Horn_2004 25+ Posts

Thought about the Norwegian..are they better than the Alaskan?

6. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

^
    ^

I prefer them to the Alaskan, but the difference is not "night and day".

7. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

Ditto. Both great options.

8. TomTerrific

TomTerrific 500+ Posts

I am embarrassed to admit that I am in my forties and have NO idea how to eat crab legs, so I never order them

There, I said it.

It is off my chest.

9. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

Tom
    At your age, you have earned the opportunity to have king crab. I assure you.

10. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

tom. most places split the shell now for you, so it is effortless. Eddie V's doesn't have them every day. when they do, they are great, and they completely shell them for you.

I will be dining on the biggest king crab legs evar tonight in addison at lefty's in addison. one of my "most underrated restaurants".

11. Alpine

Alpine 100+ Posts

The "waters were too choppy?" Did they really tell you that? Texas crabs come from bays and lagoons where the water is 3 or 4 feet deep. Sounds like they were BSing you.

Now if they had said the crabber was hungover or in jail and didn't show up, I could believe that.

12. someone

someone 250+ Posts

"Texas crabs come from bays and lagoons where the water is 3 or 4 feet deep. Sounds like they were BSing you. "

Pretty sure you can't find Stone Crabs in Texas.

13. formermav43

formermav43 250+ Posts

Truluck's gets their crab from fisheries in Florida.

14. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

Ate at the Houston location last night. for the 3rd time, I ordered the pork chop. weird thing to order there, but it is flat-out amazing.

15. Horn_2004

Horn_2004 25+ Posts

That good?? I know you know some good eateries Scottsins, what are some of your favorite places in Houston?

16. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

Da Marco's.
    America's/Churrasco's

*** haven't tried it yet...but Tony's looks freaking outstanding. they have the balls to sell cristal by the glass, which impresses me, though i would not pay that for a glass of champagne ($95) ever.
    The Link

17. Horn_2004

Horn_2004 25+ Posts

You live in Houston? I got a buddy taking me to Tony's in a few weeks and he's paying the tab. I have always wanted to eat there, especially since my family is in the restaurant business and knew the Vallones very well but have not eaten at Tony's. I am thrilled.

18. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

I do not live in Houston, but my other had to move there for work. of course, she is employed by Stanford financial, so who knows how that will work out.

Before she moved there, i ever ate anywhere decent, since only my in-laws were there, and they do not really enjoy going out for nice expensive meals.

Tony's is next on my list, along with Hugo's and mark's.

19. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

Marks is equiv alent, overall, to Trulucks. More intimate. A great place when someone else is paying. Nice wine list.

20. Horn_2004

Horn_2004 25+ Posts

The owner of Hugo's came into my family's restaurant this past weekend as my dad met her at the Houston Livestock Show Food competition. She also owns Prego's and Backstreet Cafe. Hugo's looks amazing.

21. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

^
    ^

What is your family's restaurant?

22. Horn_2004

Horn_2004 25+ Posts

Royer's Round Top Cafe..between Houston and Austin. Come on down, I'll feed ya.

23. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

He's not kidding.

24. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

oh ****. I know you from my tailgate last year. I now vow to travel there within the next two months.

25. Horn_2004

Horn_2004 25+ Posts

Let me know when, but I'm there most of the time if not all the time. Thanks Milkman for the thumbs up.

26. hi scott. road trip!

27. utexas_61

utexas_61 500+ Posts

Open Sundays are ya?

28. Horn_2004

Horn_2004 25+ Posts

11-3 for next few Sundays then till 7 pm in two weeks. Homemade fried chicken starting at 11 till we run out..marinated in garlic, spices, and buttermilk for 24 hrs..good ****.