Trump has lost ability to make deals

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Musburger1, May 10, 2019.

1. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

I don’t agree. Short term yes. But we have to do this for long term. The USA is the biggest consumers in the world and its not even close. But us doing nothing is 10 steps forward for China as we are 10 steps backwards. Standing up make us take step backwards but they suffer a ton more. They will have to cave because they have no leverage with much bigger losses. If we stay the course we will win this trade war no doubt. Our dumb trade agreements single handily got China the economy they have for the most part.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

The only way the US "wins" is if we invest in other countries to supply cheap goods. That way China exports less to the US until they change. If not, there exports will suffer but to a limited degree. There is MUCH doubt about how China will respond if their export level remains at an acceptable though lower level.

That constitutes a free market solution which Republicans used to be for. Tariffs are big government, crony approaches, even fascist governments loved them.

Do something, doesn't mean do anything. It means help other countries complete with China because that is the only way the US prospers while putting real leverage on China.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

4. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

There have been companies announce plans to move manufacturing facilities from China to other countries.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

I think he has looked like a dope with N. Korea and the wall (specifically as it pertains to Mexico paying for it). I think he has looked like a dope with NAFTA and Syria and Russia.

I'm not saying that NAFTA shouldn't be modified, I'm saying his approach of proclaiming his "twitter-redlines" and then backing off makes him look like a dope.

I'm saying his childish boasting of what will and won't happen on twitter only to back off later makes him look like a dope.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

I'm republican and I often criticize Trump on here but I really don't see any other tools in the box to get China in line. If you do, I'd love to hear about them. Asking hasn't worked. Nor have any of the attempts to embarrass them internationally. What do you think is left that we haven't already tried?

7. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Invest in other countries as sources of supply. Keep trade barriers low so that US producers have as easy a time selling their products outside the country as is up to us. Go after patent and copyright infringement cases in our international organizations. Restrict immigration of Chinese students into the US and heavily monitor them to find other IP theft.

8. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

9. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Is that the same guy who writes for the Iranian and other middle east sources?
    Predictable opinion piece.

10. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

More or less predictable than your response?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

Would you care to respond to the article with intelligent arguments or would that task exceed your intellectual ability?

12. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

13. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Or yours in which everything negative against Trump must be true. :lmao:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Or he doesn't take crackpot websites/individuals seriously enough to even respond.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Mus
    Your insult aside I don't feel the need to respond to that opinion piece.
    If it makes you feel better to disparage my intellectual ability have at it and enjoy.

16. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

Completely understandable given the author writes for the Iranian and other ME sources. It makes perfect sense.

17. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

I’m curious what you folks think about censorship. It pains you to consider or discuss alternate viewpoints. Anything other than Groupthink is taboo. And this mindset is not limited to the morons I’m addressing on this thread. The MSM has long ago filtered the airways to insure confrontational ideas aren’t presented.

18. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Magnier also writes for Russian Insider and is a Russian propagandist. The fact that he writes for and defends authoritarian regimes(Iran and Russia) should disturb you but it doesn't.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

Magnier does not even write about Russia. He lives in the Middle East and specializes in covering that region, especially Hezbollah. Russia-Insider is a libertarian oriented US publication that features articles pertaining to Russia, but also geopolitical events where multiple nationalities are intertwined. Garmel hasn’t a clue.

20. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Russia Insider is a propaganda outlet for Russia. Musburger doesn't have a clue.

21. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Garmel
    It is interesting and telling that you can disagree without calling someone a moron or lacking in intellectual capability.

22. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

No, he simply resorts to calling the opponent a Putin lover or Russian propagandist. In other words, he is a simpleton or moron. As far as yourself...if the shoe fits

23. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Mus
    I have never insulted you. Why do you feel it necessary to insult just because we disagree?

24. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

The only moron here is you. You're a freaking cartoon character and you don't even know it.

25. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

Because you don’t have the guts to make an argument. All you do is make dodges. If you were to make a logic or fact based argument I might disagree with you, but at least I could respect your point of view. But all I get from you is “I disagree” or “I don’t choose to respond.” At this point, contempt is all you should expect.

Look if you defend Trump, you have to defend the people he’s entrusted to run policy. That means Bolton, Pompeo, and so on. And if you don’t like the damning analysis of what these people are doing, is it too much to ask for a rationale of your support?

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  26. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Mus
    There is not any "argument " or fact (that you do not like)that would have any relevance to you. I do not feel the need to try.
    But neither will I insult you .

27. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

So, there is no argument or fact to support Trump policy versus the abundance of arguments that he is failing...but yet you support him anyway. Whatever.

28. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

There is no argument or fact you would accept.

I have read other posts by you and have learned things.
    I just do not see the need to insult.

So I agree, whatever.

29. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Bingo! You typed this before me. Any opposing argument to Mus means that person is an idiot incapable of seeing things his way...the intellictually superior way.

• Agree Agree x 3
  30. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Here’s the breakdown.

China: They charge 20% capital gains tax. But remember things are cheap in China so the 20% doesn’t hit their bottom line near as hard as 20% in America. China charges in coming American products ranging from 25 to 40%. So basically we can’t afford to deal with China and their high cost of taxes with our products. So not much money is entering the US economy from China.

USA: we went from Obama’s corporate gains tax of 35% to Trump’s gains tax of 21%. America charges in coming products from China at a tax rate most from 0% to 6% and in some instances it can get as high as 12%. So some American companies moved their factors to other countries including China then make their product with cheap labor then will bring it back to the US to sale and avoid paying the Obama’s corporate tax rate of 35%. Trump dropped it to 21% and then threatened the American businesses in Canada, Mexico, China, and other countries that we would levy a very high tax to bring their product into the USA. He never had to because they started coming back.

Not much money is hardly entering the US economy from China, but the US being the biggest consumers in the world sends a ton of money to China. So really China is receiving all the benefits from our trade deal. Now Trump is laying the hammer with tariffs and China will suffer the most. Yes we will pay some higher prices for products now but it’s so worth it in the long run.

We have to ask the question why did business move out of the US to begin with? What incentivized these companies to turn their back on the American workers? We actually know why, but what I don’t understand is why our leaders allowed this to happened and nobody before Trump did anything about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1