Trump's Team

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by theiioftx, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

2. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

He couldn't find anyone smarter and more successful than someone he labeled a "loser" and a "choker"?

3. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Eh...that's a term of endearment now. ;) That's the new standard for political discourse.

Here is a sampling of the insults Trump and Romney leveled at each other.

• Like Like x 1
  4. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

You're caught up in politics. That's 2012
    mindset. Trump is approaching his administration as a business. He's not asking him to run for President. He's asking him to run the State Department.

I wonder when liberals will realize every instinct they've had for the last 4 years is completely wrong.

5. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

LMAO. I'm about as right wing as they come.

My instinct about Trump has been pretty damn correct. I didn't believe most of his rhetoric during the campaign and he has pretty much confirmed my thinking.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Seattle Husker

What does that mean? That has been said a fair amount but nobody has elucidated how "approaching his administration as a business" is different than traditional governing. In fact, it's beginning to look pretty traditional in terms of the appointments with Goldman Sachs in the catbirds seat.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  7. texas_ex2000

The only deal Kerry has ever closed before becoming Sec of State was marrying Teresa Heinz. Romney has actually ran complex businesses, organizations, and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

I don't know much about Mnuchin other than he was a global fixed income markets wunderkid and CIO at Goldman, had enough of it and then produced American Sniper. Jack Lew hasn't done anything as comparable or as badass. The only thing he's known for is pushing Alexander Hamilton off the $10 bill.

Is there something specific you know about in Mnuchin's time at Goldman that troubles you?

8. texas_ex2000

I didn't either...that was my instinct.

9. Seattle Husker

Really? An 18 year Senator has never had to close a deal? Maybe as Lt. Governor in the State of MA? At least do a modicum of research. Do you mean a business deal? If so, that may be the first time I've that's been a requirement of SOS. Maybe that should be a requirement for Sec of Commerce rather that State?

As an aside, I don't have a problem with Romney but the continuous attempts to paint Romney as somehow significantly more qualified than Kerry holds true only if you get as simplistic as his marriage and ignore decades of service. I'm not even a Kerry fan but the accusations are laughable, especially from a Yale man.

No, other than there is a lot of Goldman Sach's influence in the cabinet and advisors. I was simply asking you to explain "run it like a businessman" but I'm beginning to think that's mere slogan than a meaningful statement.

Just to support the Goldman Sach's point:

10. texas_ex2000

As far as Kerry goes, no deal of note. And the Lt. Gov of Massachusetts is not like the Lt Gov of Texas. He/she in Massachusetts is just a designated survivor. And Kerry served as the designated survivor for less than 2 years.

And while I think Romney would do well, I would prefer Giuliani.

How about for starters, not stacking your cabinet with Yes Men?

11. Seattle Husker

Which POTUS has stacked their cabinet with "yes men"?

12. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Please explain.

13. Seattle Husker

Has Trump stated that he'd fully divest from his businesses?

The Office of Government Ethics, within the Executive Branch sent a half dozen tweets Trump's way today.

Oh great...now you have a government agency trolling Trump.

Long live the internet trolls!

14. texas_ex2000

Candidate Trump vs Business Trump

• Like Like x 1
  15. texas_ex2000

Seattle, you do know that when investors are bullish on the economy as a whole, S&P 500 and Dow Jones, that financial services are the biggest component and huge beneficiary of a bull market right? Investment, stimulated and encouraged by policies that promote investment and free markets, is how you grow the economy, not the f'in government. And investment banking is what Goldman Sachs does. Their beta is 1.20 and the market is going gangbusters right now. Of course GS is up.

By this nittwit's logic, a bear market with GS down (and yes, that's what a positively correlated beta >1.0 means) would be just the bee's knees. He's probably dumb enough to buy Bernie's logic that student loans should have lower interest rates than mortgages.

You know what industry indices are good to see down? Pharmaceuticals, energy, tobacco, etc.

16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

17. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Based on that short response, it sounds like you are saying that he said whatever it took to get elected and did not actually mean much of what he said or did on the campaign trail. Sounds a lot like certain individuals that the Trump voters despise.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

It's a might early to decide if Trump will do what he promised on the campaign trail or not.

19. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Sorta like the deportation force that's now not going to happen? Or like the wall that's now going to be a fence, or a "virtual fence?" Or like how Hillary was going to be prosecuted and now she's not?

• Like Like x 3
  20. texas_ex2000

For clarity, Trump won because Hillary was the most terrible candidate in history. But to answer your question, not at all. I think real people who vote for Trump would love, for example, to see flag burners jailed. And for the record, I would love to see flag burners jailed. Yes to that! They probably say so in lunch while seeing it on TV. But they, like me, have no desire to change the law or an expectation for Trump to change the law. You don't hear other politicians voice those same sentiments out of political correctness. Trump did, and they are the same sentiments of all those voters.

You're saying they were bamboozled. Not at all. They voted for a guy they've probably worked with or for their entire lives and talks like they do. They know when scuttlebutt is scuttlebutt and promises are promises. They, honest working people, are a lot smarter than what you give them credit for. And frankly, to not know or recognize scuttlebutt, says quite a bit about that individual too.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  21. Seattle Husker

It was all "rhetoric" not promises per a previous thread discussion. It's all good.

"Drain the swamp"..."businessman vs. politician"..."hope and change" ;)

• Like Like x 2
  22. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I am disappointed Trump has not accomplished more or implemented more of his promises 2 months prior to actually being President. :idk:

I think the election is over. Some of you need to move on.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I'm confused. Should we just pretend he hasn't backpedaled on the promises he made? If he just kept his mouth shut, then you'd have a point. But when he's saying he's going to break his promises, I think it's pretty unfair to criticize people for calling him on it.

24. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Your assumption is that he has broken promises before he has even taken the oath of office. As POTUS and even POTUS elect, feel free to criticize him all you want. Are you blaming Tom Herman yet for not winning a NC?

25. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

If Tom Herman came out and said, "Just so all you fans know, when I become coach, I am not going to try to win a NC," then yes, I would blame him.

• Like Like x 2
  26. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

What specific campaign promises has he broke? I know he has backed away from prosecution of HRC which he has no authority to do, but what else? I have been busy lately so maybe I missed them.

27. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

The POTUS has no authority to prosecute accused felons (i.e. appoint special prosecutor through AG)? Asking for a friend.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  28. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I've already cited 3.

29. texas_ex2000

Husker, the Candidate Trump v Business Trump is something many people recognized a long time ago. I didn't make it up. It's not a West Mall theory. In the 3 weeks he's been President Elect, for better or worse, he hasn't deviated drastically from my expectations.

He's behaving like a business person, not a politician. I've spent my life around, financing, and advising business people. They don't act like politicians. And if you continue to examine Trump through a politician's lens, you and many other liberals, will further lose touch with reality. Are you going to be shocked again in 4 years?

30. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Deez, you come across butthurt because Trump won the election. Why don't you take a chill pill and let's see what happens when he's in office. Trumps every words has you stressed out.