TTU gets new turf at the Law

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by UT Horn Fan, Feb 5, 2008.

1. UT Horn Fan

UT Horn Fan 500+ Posts

Texas Tech just replaced the turf in Dan Law Field. No more turf infield/grass outfield. IMO base paths should be dirt or turf like the Disch or their old turf. Visitors will have to take some practice slides into bases in addition to their regular fielding routine.

Dan Law Field new turf

2. ShinerChE

ShinerChE 250+ Posts

Sliding into bags is going to be much different. I have never seen an all turf field with the only dirt on the mound. Strange [​IMG]

3. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

I saw that somewhere last year. It might've been a softball game.

4. Scooter

Scooter 250+ Posts

Looks like Louisville's field. Didn't they host a super last year against Oklahoma State...?

5. NatChampUT

NatChampUT 100+ Posts

That's a college baseball stadium?? Holy **** that is pathetic. I've been to high school stadiums that are 10x as nice as that.

6. westtechsan

westtechsan < 25 Posts

It may not look like much, but The Law's atmosphere equals or surpasses any collegiate ballpark in the nation.

Sorry, we don't have a $100+ million athletic budget. If I remember correctly The Disch looked pretty rusty (literally) the past decade.

Consider the Lubbock wind. The less dirt on the field = The less dirt in your face.

7. Booya

Booya 25+ Posts

So the warning track is turf too? Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of, you know, a warning track?

8. UT Horn Fan

UT Horn Fan 500+ Posts

9. Dark Star 1973

Dark Star 1973 25+ Posts

Kansas St has the same type of surface as well, last year was their first season on it I believe.. Definitely wish they would have done the base cut outs such as traditional turf fields, painted field turf looks pathetic. Tech wont have as many weather issues as in the past, so maybe they will actually complete all there home series.

10. HookemHrns03

HookemHrns03 100+ Posts

11. westtechsan

westtechsan < 25 Posts

I'll admit that the attendance recently hasn't been as high as it was in the 1990s, but last year Tech averaged 2,018 at home. Baylor averaged 3,180.

12. Booya

Booya 25+ Posts

So then how exactly does it equal or surpass any collegiate ballpark in the nation?

13. TrashMaster G

TrashMaster G 250+ Posts

14. HookemHrns03

HookemHrns03 100+ Posts

15. westtechsan

westtechsan < 25 Posts

2007 Texas Tech Baseball Record
    Home: 19-12 Away: 4-13 Neutral: 5-2 Big 12: 8-18

We finished the Big 12 season in last place. Our worst finish in the history of the league. That is going to have an impact on attendance. I'm confident that the stands again be filled with an improved record. The addition of Dan Spencer, formerly of the back-to-back College World Series Champion Oregon State Beavers, as assistant coach will have an impact.

Atmosphere is more that folks in the bleachers. We have the third-winningest head coach in NCAA history. The Tech Hecklers are always entertaining. And, we have those breathtaking mountain vistas. Well, maybe not that last part.

Gee, I'm a "chest thumping tortilla thrower" for expressing a modicum of pride in my school? I enjoy going to games at the Disch. (It will be a lot more enjoyable now that the construction is almost complete.) Just take note that there is more to a ballpark than the amount of money spent on the building.

16. hornphil

hornphil 25+ Posts

that's a big big improvement over what they used to have.

17. TrashMaster G

TrashMaster G 250+ Posts

18. westtechsan

westtechsan < 25 Posts

Don't worry, I don't place much of a value on your assessment of atmosphere. I just wanted to make sure that more cultivated minds were not prejudiced by your drivel.

19. Alpine

Alpine 100+ Posts

I checked out the Tech field recently. The team was practicing. When the ball hit the turf hard, there was a splash of black sand - ?. It felt nice and soft underfoot. I've never run across anything like it.

20. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

21. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

Re: the artificial turf. Yes, OSU played on a similar surface in Louisville last year at the Super. That's why they lost. [​IMG]