Tubby Smith to Memphis?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Htown77, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

ESPN is reporting Tubby Smith will take the Memphis job. This would be huge for us next year. Tubby Smith is a great coach that was building Tech back up. They are going to have a hard time replacing him. As discussed in the other thread, I believe next year will be a rebuilding year for Texas due to the youth. Unless Tech makes an outstanding hire, I think Tubby's leaving makes our upcoming rebuilding season a little easier.

2. MobiusHorn

MobiusHorn 100+ Posts

3. lecturer

lecturer 250+ Posts

New TT HC will be UNLV's head coach, Chris Beard.

4. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Good for him. I kind of feel like he's pretty well hit a ceiling at Tech, and he's a coach that really should be coaching teams into the Sweet 16 every few years, not coaching them into the second round of the Big XII tournament.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I like Tubby as a coach, but no way was he a Tech kind of guy. I assumed he would bolt when the first "good" job "back east" came along.

6. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Well Tech's new hire is interesting. He is a Longhorn with a solid resume for a coach with little head coaching experience. He is a potentially great hire and we might just have trouble with them next year after all.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  7. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Agree on Beard, while Tubby is certainly a known national champ winning coach, so was Knight (the elder). Knight made sense in that in Lubbock he could throw all the chairs and buffet salad bowls he wanted and beyond the Lubbock Avalanche, maybe, reporting, who would know?

Beard started coaching as an assistant to Penders, knows Texas, young, eager, good for him and good for the Big 12.

• Like Like x 1
  8. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

I'm sorry to see Tubby leave, he was turning that dumpster fire around in short order, as has been his forte. But this is Beard's 7th Head Coaching job in 62 months. It is his 3rd HC job since the weekend of the Elite Eight. WTF? He was an assistant at Tech under both Knight's, so he knows what he is in for. But when you have AD's like Pat Hayden at USC who fires one football coach on the tarmac at the airport and fires another one while he is still on the plane (morale to that story is stop playing Arizona State), I guess this will become more common.

:ousucks: