Tuberville to tech

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Laphroaig10, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

Came as a bit of a surprise, but good luck to him.

2. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

is this a done deal?

3. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

Yeah. It'll be announced later today.

4. adUTleander

adUTleander 250+ Posts

Link? This is huge news if its true.

5. PropositionJoe

it's on espn

6. PropositionJoe

7. bigbend1812

bigbend1812 500+ Posts

Bring it!

8. calico

calico 100+ Posts

great hire for Tech. looks like they have hope after all.

9. homerX

homerX 100+ Posts

Always thought he would have been a fit for A&M.

Also wonder why he hasn't had any more luck finding a job (practically begged for this one).

I generally have a very high view of Tommy, it'll be interesting to see where he can take Tech.

10. ReaganHorn

ReaganHorn 250+ Posts

Wow this is probably the most sexy hire a Big 12 football program has ever made. Usually it's coordinators (Stoops, Leach, Pelini, Gundy, Chizik, etc.) or coaches from non-traditional powerhouses (Brown, Hawkins). The lone exception was Franchione, but he was a faker, and that was Aggy.

Nice move Tech.

11. SteveCampbell

SteveCampbell < 25 Posts

He's a fantastic coach. Did well at Ole Miss and really well at Auburn.

12. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

13. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

14. PropositionJoe

they very well might be twins given the way that they coach.

rumor has it that he's looking to hire willis, the alabama LB coach as DC.

pretty solid staff.

15. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

This is about as good as it gets for Tech.

16. SportsICT

SportsICT 500+ Posts

He's a good pick up for Tech. I wonder what will happen to Ruffin.

17. ReaganHorn

ReaganHorn 250+ Posts

FromThe Link

Tuberville, 55, became a strong candidate when it was determined he would not insist on hiring his own staff, a source told ESPN.com's Maisel. Tuberville also will not cost Tech a contract buyout.

hmm. Guess he's keeping Ruffin.

18. BreakPoint778

BreakPoint778 25+ Posts

Local media in Lubbock that have talked with Tubs do indicate that the Bama LB coach James Willis will be Techs DC

19. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

It's likely Willis with tubs taking a greater role in the defense than he has with guys like chizik, muschamp, or rhoads. Ruffin still talks to dye regularly, and tubs hates dye.

20. Mr. Football

Mr. Football 100+ Posts

Tuberville says the Tech offense is already at a championship level and just needs a comparable defense. He's keeping the Texas Tech offense and will install the same attacking SEC style defense that Bama and UT run.

21. BigCityHorn

BigCityHorn 25+ Posts

Great choice. I welcome Tuberville to the Big XII. He is a good coach and I think he will have a lot of success at Tech. I like this hire better than A&M and Sherman.

22. PropositionJoe

no matter what tubbs says, the offense will change.

tubbs isnt the gunslinger that leach is. he's going to be conservative, and he will install a run game as well...i dont think he'll execute the tech offense as well as it would have under leach.

some things will change for the better (defense, run game) some will change for the worse.

either way, i think his ceiling at tech will be about as high as leach's was.

good hire. not an upgrade, but a good solid hire.

23. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

Tech, under Tuberville, will continue their defensive improvement. Tech will become a more traditional team on offense, better at running, but not as non-traditional at passing.

I tend to agree with Prop on this one...Tech will consistently win eight or nine games, occasionally challenge for the division, and may even make it to a BCS bowl. I don't think they'll be vastly improved over the Leach teams, but they won't slip farther down in the standings either, and Tuberville is bound to have a better working relationship with high school coaches than Leach did.

One other benefit for Tech's administration...I don't think Tuberville will be interviewing for every job opening out there every year either.

24. Mr. Football

Mr. Football 100+ Posts

Over the past 23 years or so, Tech's had two coaches, Mike Leach and Spike Dykes. Pretty good stability. Tech's improvement has been steady. They've been bowl eligible every year for 14 or 15 years.

Spike could be counted on for about 7-8 wins and a bowl game.

Mike could be counted on for about 9 wins and a bowl game.

If Tommy can take Tech to the consistent 10+ win level, which means roughly 1 more victory on average than Leach, Tech fans will be happy. It'll also mean that Tech is making it into some BCS bowls and perhaps some conference championships.

25. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

26. PropositionJoe

i'd love to see the look on gerald myers face if tubbs insisted that leach come back as OC. hell would freeze over before it happened, but still. [​IMG]

27. lecturer

lecturer 250+ Posts

as to questions re tubs employment status, he says since his departure from auburn, he has had two job offers and declined two other interviews.

28. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

Yes Tubby is a good pick up for Tech- but Ruffin deserved it and was probably the best fit. I thought he did a great job at the AlamoBowl- and he sure as heck expressed his interest in the job.

29. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

So the Big 12 South gets stronger and the North .........is still the North.

30. SportsICT

SportsICT 500+ Posts

I agree with you mcbrett. Ruffin deserved a shot.Heck, as on poster put it...he convinced Leach that there's another way to get the ball back besides letting the other team score. I think he could have maintained and kept Tech at around 8 wins per year.