Tuition reduction for illegals

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by dheiman, Jun 8, 2012.

1. dheiman

dheiman 1,000+ Posts

LINK
    A metro college in Denver is lowering the tuition for illegal immigrants making what they will pay between in-state and out-of-state tuition.

This really burns my chaps. I'm not sure how to handle the illegals living among us for decades. I suppose you cannot send a whole family to mexico on the next bus. But this hits a nerve:

"We all deserve the chance at a higher education and to become productive members and give back to our community,"

Three criteria must be met to qualify for the new category of tuition. A student must:
    • Have attended a Colorado high school for the past three years. (simple enough)
    • Have graduated from a Colorado high school or gotten a general equivalency diploma in the state. (check)
    • Provide proof they are in good legal standing,other than their undocumented status
    , and that they plan to seek lawful status when eligible.

WTF! Provide proof they are in good LEGAL standing, other than the fact that they don't have legal standing.

2. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Guess who championed a bill in Texas to let illegals pay in-state tuition? RICK PERRY! [​IMG]

3. dheiman

dheiman 1,000+ Posts

That and the 3 departments he couldn't remember sunk his presidential ship didn't they!

4. CedarParkFan

CedarParkFan 1,000+ Posts

Those that are in positions of leadership and resposibility exhibit neither. This is so absurd it shouldn't even be up for discussion. Undocumented = ILLEGAL. Illegal activity and/or status should not be rewarded. I'm glad Perry got called on it. To believe it helps win the Hispanic vote is the equivilent of saying that Hispanics are in favor of breaks for illegals because so many of them are Hispanic. I'd like to think that's not the case. If it is, it means we have a large segment of the voting popultion that is culturally biased to a point that they excuse illegal activity as long as they share a cultural background and / or natural origin with those who chose to ignore our federal law. So, if the Hispanic populance in general supports the enforcement of federal law, this should be no issue among those voters.

5. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

shut up and pay your fair share.

[that's sarcasm, btw]

6. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Mr D

Could you explain how the clergy in the Azores tells their parishoners it is ok to steal from Americans?
    How do they say that? "Go forth and rob any American you see and God will forgive you"?

Has anyone stolen from you since you have been there?

8. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

9. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

MrD
    Now I understand. this is a forced taking from those who some think have " at a certain point you've made enough" so it is ok to take it from you.

Where have we heard that before?

On the OT
    I do think there has to be some way for kids who have never known any other life to at the very least be allowed to work here. I don't think they should become citizens without some very definite steps from them( and never should they be allowed ahead of anyone trying to do it the legal way)
    Marco Rubio has a plan I could live with.
    I am however against givng them better tuition rates than other citizens.

10. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

11. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

mrD
    They are and I am against that. Yes they are living in Texas ( or any other state where this is policy) but they are living here ILLEGALLY.
    That breaking of our laws should have a consequence and it doesn't seem overly onerous to ask the lawbreakers to pay the same as a out of state citizen.

as i said I like Rubio's plan, One thing I haven't sen in his plan is there must be a calendar cut off date so that other people won't try to sneak in with young children thinking they can ge the same benefit and then use the their status to keep their parents or bring other relatives here.

For instance if they pass the law next year it would ONLY apply to children brought here BEFORE 2013

12. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

I like the idea of having millions of people from the south living here and allowing business owners to get away with paying much less in wages than they would have to pay to get Americans to pluck their chickens or pick their beets, etc. If we keep these laborers illegal they are real easy to manipulate and wont dare file comp claims if hurt. Sure, they will have kids who will go to our schools, but if we charge them high enough tuition they wont be able to afford higher education and the whole bunch of them can be kept as an underclass of servile labor for generations to come.

I call that thinking ahead and Texas specializes in that.

God Bless TExas!!!

I can't understand how Rick went off the rails on this issue (probably been reading the stats provided by the State Demographer again) but his party sure put him back on the path to righteousness, didn't they?

13. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

If you want to grant them all amnesty and make them citizens, then just do it. If you want our laws to be respected then they should be deported when they apply for school. All the stuff we are doing now is just B.S. in the middle to pander to a voting class and make our laws a joke.

14. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

15. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

do you spy a contradiction in your argument? Perry the builder doesn't have comp?

Or can't afford it?

I have, over the years, tried maybe a dozen cases in which my clients had illegals working for them who got killed because safety standards were lax and unenforced and the illegals wouldn't complain. Until one of them got killed.

Perry the gov is more motivated I suspect by the coming brown tide of voters that is going to wipe out his party if the neanderthals in said party keep up their anti immigrant bs. It is about ten years out, maybe less.

And living in the promised land of texas if you are illegal but employed is necessary for a lot of these people from Mexico but scary. The sudden arrest and deportation is not as scary as being a dissenter in Cuba say, but it is a constant state of fear.

Perry knows how to count votes and so did W. That's why they are "liberal" on our brothers from the south.

Most of whom are employed by gop voters.

16. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I'm afraid my leftism is showing here. If people were raised and grew up in Texas, I think it's a lot bigger problem that too many fail to graduate high school rather than too many avail themselves of discounted tuition.

17. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

18. CedarParkFan

CedarParkFan 1,000+ Posts

19. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

20. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

CPF: re your slogan: I did not vote for Obama in 2008 as I thought he was just another Ivy League prima donna who would say just about anything to advance his great passion---himself.

In 2012, I again wont vote in the presidential race. Voting for either of the two Ivy League prima donnas would merely confirm idiot status imo.

I feel great empathy for people who believe they must have a champion to vote for or that one is far superior to the other. I have been eligible to vote in presidential elections since 1968 and while there have been occasions where there were lesser evils to pick among, the fact is that nobody worth spraying on has been a candidate of either party. This year is no different.

Romney is no improvement over Obama; on foreign policy he is so naive that most republicans with expertise in the area have been reluctant to endorse him and on domestice matters he has shown himself to be a complete weather vane to whatever group holds the key to whatever state he has campaigned in.

He has no program for improving the current economic climate that will not make things worse. Like Obama, he is clueless.