Turkey Day - Official!

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Handler XIII, Feb 25, 2008.

1. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Fabulous return to the traditions of yesteryear.
    Some of you need to train your wives better, though. They should embrace this great news with enthusiasm.

2. nra1775

nra1775 250+ Posts

3. chillywillywall

chillywillywall 100+ Posts

espn?
    i dont get espn!!!! [​IMG]

4. 71grad

71grad 1,000+ Posts

The game is back where it belongs. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

6. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

I think this calls for a new Turkey Day sandwich to commemorate this momentous occasion.

7. Fievel121

Fievel121 2,500+ Posts

I manage a retail store. Getting off the day after thanksgiving was impossible. (especially after rationalizing 10 previous saturdays). I'm loving this.

8. Austin_Horn

Austin_Horn 100+ Posts

YES! A rivalry game at night where it belongs....no more 11am, 10:30am or the dreaded 10:00am kickoff times for T+1

9. PacSER

PacSER 500+ Posts

10. mackfan1

mackfan1 1,000+ Posts

Me gusta mucho! This returns the game to its traditional date: Thanksgiving. Screw the NFL, none of those damn games are ever any good anyway.

Those of you complaining about the drive just head home on Friday morning. That's still a 3-day weekend.

11. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

12. DCLonghorn8

DCLonghorn8 250+ Posts

Does it smell to anyone else like we lost our ABC slot and the conciliation/smoke is that we are getting T+1-1 back?

I think going from ABC to ESPN is not good for continued national exposure.

I have family and friends with no cable, and people still watch the major networks more than cable.

13. 13evO

13evO 500+ Posts

This is going to be a hard sell in my household. It may be a tradition for many of you, but I've been getting used to Fridays and coordinating my schedule accordingly. Now, I have to miss Turkey Day. Watching the game on TV with my family sounds more and more likely and less of a headache.

14. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Sorry guys, but any Longhorn family would understand your absence to attend this game on Thanksgiving.

If not then you probably either a) should just stay home that day or b) educate them very quickly on the way things should be.

I would recommend option B.

This game is back on the day I think it should be played.

Does anyone know the number of games that have been played on turkey day as opposed to not? My first Turkey Day game wasn't until '90 so I missed many before.
    [​IMG]

15. watashi

watashi 250+ Posts

Guess I'll have to inform the in-laws I'll either be leaving early or not coming at all every other year...best do that tonight.

16. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

Ah yes, aggy on T-Day, just like old times. Before Warren Gilbert. [​IMG]

17. drewbleedsorange

drewbleedsorange 100+ Posts

The way it should be [​IMG]

This may make me rethink my Thanksgiving plans and entice me to travel back to Texas for the holiday. A nice Thanksgiving lunch with the family and then head to Austin for the game. Sounds pretty good!

18. Blurt

Blurt 25+ Posts

You boys need to get control of your scenes...my in laws will serve it @ 11:30 AM - or make us a to go platter. The truck leaves @ 1 PM without fail. Told the wife to prepare them now - [​IMG]

19. jcz

jcz 100+ Posts

So is it now just T? Or (T+1)-1?

[​IMG]

20. geezerhorn

geezerhorn 1,000+ Posts

All is right in the world again.

I don't understand all the consternation.
    Tell your family you are going to watch aggy receive their rightful *** kicking. If the family gives you lip, ignore them. You should know what is most importent, as should they!!

aggy/Horns was always the best thing to look forward to on Thanksgiving, that is, until the dog worshipers went the Rent-A-Stud route and ruined it for everyone.

Place me in the "now we got something" group.

21. Good for you guys that you got it moved back to Turkey Day, though I hope I don't gag on my turkey in future years watching the aggie morons.

Now, can we PLEASE get NU/OU back on Thanksgiving, FOR GOOD? Could you imagine an NU/OU and Texas/Texas A&M doubleheader on Thanksgiving? I HATE Fridays with sCUm.

22. Nivek

Nivek 500+ Posts

Maybe with all the family commitments some of the older fans will give way for the students and hopefully increase the volume of the Texas fans????

23. Ave. H Horn

Ave. H Horn 100+ Posts

Seriously, those of you that are going to "honor" your family committment need to check yourselves. You obviously have no idea of the "tradition" of tailgating that has long been established since the move to T+1. The 6:00am beginning to game day! The all day drinking and cooking. The headaches and hardships endured to get the home season finale just perfect!
    Now, wife is pissed because we alternate Thanksgiving home(her family) & away(my family oot). Now this just gives another point of contention over the football season, as I will have to take yet another bullet for missing T-Day with her fam. It's bad enough trying to convince her to travel during the Christmas/ New Year holiday season for bowl game....

Oh well, f**k it! I don't know anyone or make enough money to affect any change, so I guess I will just have to roll with it.

Looks like fried turkey & smoked turkey on T-Day and the couch the rest of the weekend! Hook 'Em! [​IMG]

24. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

25. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I believe I read Texas has played football on Turkey Day 71 times, almost all of them against A&M. Due to Jackie Sherrill and Fed-Ex envelopes, we have been denied this long-standing tradition. This moves the game back to where it always was, the stars are back in alignment, all is right with the world. Eat turkey for lunch, then go to the game.

26. NativeTXchic

NativeTXchic 1,000+ Posts

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas' annual State Farm Lone Star Showdown football game with Texas A&M will return to Thanksgiving night for the next two years and be broadcast nationally on ESPN, the network announced Monday. The game, which will be played at Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium in 2008, will kickoff at 7 p.m. (Central).

"The conference and ESPN asked us to move the game and we were glad to oblige," said DeLoss Dodds. "The game had been a great tradition for years on Thanksgiving and we're pleased that it will be again for the next two years."

The Longhorns and Aggies will be meeting for the 115th time this season in a series that dates back to 1894. Texas holds a 73-36-5 advantage. The last time the two state rivals played on Thanksgiving Day was Nov. 25, 1993 when the Aggies knocked off the Longhorns 18-9 in College Station. The last time the two teams played in Austin on Thanksgiving was in 1992, a 34-13 Aggie victory. Texas and Texas A&M have played 60 times on Thanksgiving Day with the Horns winning 40 of those meetings.

ESPN televised the Texas-Texas A&M rivalry from 1984 to 1989 (including on Thanksgiving Day from 1985-88) and on Thanksgiving Day from 1991 to 1993.

The last time Texas played on Thanksgiving Day was 1995, a 21-13 win over Baylor. Texas has played 71 times overall on Turkey Day, winning 48 of those contests.www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=40&url_article_id=3658&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2

I couldn't be more excited about this!!! It's the way I remember... sitting at home with Dad, watching the game after eating to our hearts content, and cheering on the Horns to victory! [​IMG] [​IMG]

27. Ave. H Horn

Ave. H Horn 100+ Posts

28. ImissWallyPryor

ImissWallyPryor 1,000+ Posts

29. BDog

BDog 250+ Posts

This sits well with me.

30. DigglerontheHoof

DigglerontheHoof 1,000+ Posts

Maybe there's a god after all. Great news! [​IMG]

Thanksgiving night games are the ****...beats the ever livin' **** out of that 11AM crap.

Way to go DeLoss!