Turn the page, get healthy, win rematch

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Horn2RunAgain, Oct 12, 2019.

1. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

After sleeping on it...

Yesterday was particularly troubling because of two unexpected realities:

We were out-coached,

and we were the less physical team.

In a big game for which we should have been fully prepared, it seemed like we weren’t. Add to that the fact that we had no turnovers and were still dominated, and it’s even more troubling. As we all know, the scoreboard didn’t tell the whole story.

While I am firmly on the Tom Herman train, my confidence took a hit by what I observed yesterday.

2. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Sangre, I meant ou's DC. Not Bo. Sorry for the confusion.

Their DC out coached our offensive staff IMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I was on the TH train, and maybe I'll get back on, but in another thread, AC asked who we could get who is a better DC than Orlando.

We had this discussion with Strong. The TCU OC turned him down. It was laughable how they had to go practically beg Gilbert, who sucked, to come work for him.

Does TH have the same problem? Why aren't the best DCs wanting to come here? Why couldn't he hire the LSU DC? Hmmm.

All the talk of how physical we are. Is it just talk? I don't see other teams being intimidated by Texas.

4. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

Don't know much about him, but how about the Wisconsin DC? 4 shut outs in 6 games! Wow!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

If we dont start tackling better, we wont get the rematch (assuming that's what we want). The poor tackling in this game brought back some bad memories. It feels like we have been talking about the need to tackle better a good part of the last 2 decades

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

As discussed in another thread, maybe Greg Robinson might be willing to come in as a D consultant to help us out. He’s done it before, with good results.

7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I gather that some on these boards really don’t like the guy, but I’d bet Akina could coach up our DBs (young and injured as they may be) to perform better than what we’ve seen this year.

8. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I haven’t seen TH’s post game presser so this might be an uninformed comment...

Is TH taking any of the blame for yesterday? He should. The poor offensive showing is, to a great extent, on him and Beck. But, to be fair, until yesterday — and we lost primarily because OU’s D dominated — I had been reasonably pleased with the play-calling.

There is a different issue on D as many have noted today and yesterday. I like Orlando but there is an unmistakable pattern of poor tackling, poor coverage and late game collapses. I’m not sure that the next guy would be better, but I would sure hope so. What I am sure of is that we have to get better and more consistent on that side of the ball, and fast. Sadly, I am not particularly hopeful that we will any time soon.

9. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

TOO HIGH RISK....holy crap....what was that one safety at the 40 yard line while the line scrimmage was at the 12???!!! WTF???!!!

10. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

was there an offensive game plan???

11. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Especially if you told me they'd have 10 points at halftime and 20 at the end of the 3rd quarter.

Worst I've seen from any Texas O/C since Greg Davis against Washington State in 2003.

If we get to the rematch but don't win it, Herman will be 1-4 against Oklahoma while at Texas.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

….and, "we were YOUNG for the same amount of time".....news FLASH (college is FOUR YEARS!!!)

13. pluckeye

pluckeye 250+ Posts

Could someone who has played the game at a higher level than I did ( In 8th grade my shoulder got ripped and I was done!) explain how tackling could be this poor in a game like this? I mean, I remember about 1/3 of what we did in Junior High was tackling drills. I just don't get it. I have my theories, but I also have male answer syndrome, so who knows if my theories have much merit!

14. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

ALL TIME FAVORITE: Akina

• Like Like x 1
  15. pluckeye

pluckeye 250+ Posts

Fun memory. The wife and I ended up having dinner with Greg Robinson years ago when he was in for one of those D consulting gigs. Just happened to sit next to him at the bar. Great evening of conversation!

• Like Like x 2