Two-year old daughter w/ stage III melanoma UPDT 2

Discussion in 'Prayer Requests' started by Mitchell_McDeere, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Mitchell_McDeere

Mitchell_McDeere < 25 Posts

Please pray for my two-year old daughter who was just yesterday diagnosed with Stage III melanoma. She had a tumor removed from her hand three months ago, which at the time we thought was just a mole. The test results came back inconclusive, so we had a further excision done of her hand and lymph node testing at MD Anderson last week. The news came back yesterday that it is a Stage III melanoma that has spread to at least one lymph node. We return to Houston next week for more surgery at MD Anderson for further excision of her hand, to remove more lymph nodes, CT scan, possible further treatments (e.g. interferon).

My little girl is the love of my life. Please pray for her.

2. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Oh, Mitchell, I am so sorry to hear of this. Know that I will keep your precious little girl in my prayers. Children are unbelievable fighters, so prepare to be amazed at how strong your little one is. I suspect she will be the one giving YOU strength as your family deals with this crisis.

Prayers will continue for your family.

3. Bevoette

Bevoette 1,000+ Posts

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry to read/hear this.
    Your precious little girl will be in my prayers.
    My children are my most valuable and precious assest my heat and my soul... I can't even begin to know what you are feeling but keep praying and keep positive.

4. longhornbell

longhornbell 100+ Posts

Your little girl and your family will be in our family's prayers tonight. Prayer is a powerful thing, bringing healing to many. May your family be so blessed.

5. Mitchell_McDeere

Thanks for all the good thoughts and prayers. My little girl's name is Marit. We will keep everyone posted on how things go in Houston.

6. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Prayers for you and your family through this upcoming battle. Keep your faith and trust in God.

HornHuskerDad [​IMG]

7. ckiems

ckiems 25+ Posts

Prayers. You are at the right place. we all will be praying for Marit

8. horniegrl14

horniegrl14 100+ Posts

Prayers for her and you and everyone else this is affecting.

God Bless

9. Olhorn

Olhorn 100+ Posts

Prayers for Marit and the family. Fight the good fight!

10. lostman

lostman 500+ Posts

Just got back - this is sad news.
    Prayers will be daily for Marit and the family.
    Kids are fighters.

11. kjgirl

kjgirl 500+ Posts

prayers for Marit and your family, stay strong

12. hook'em_horns

hook'em_horns 100+ Posts

Prayers to you and your family.

Psa 29:11 — The lord will give strength unto his people

13. Mitchell_McDeere

Thanks for all the continued prayers. My family just got back from Houston after spending the week at MD Anderson. Marit's surgery on Tuesday morning went well (excision of her hand, removal of more lymph nodes) and she is doing great. She had the CT scan and x-ray today. We will get the results of these tests early next week, which will determine our next steps in her treatment.

14. pk-horn

pk-horn 25+ Posts

God bless your daughter and your family.
    I hope you get good news next week. I'll be checking for updates. Stay positive.

15. tsquar

tsquar 250+ Posts

Praying for good news and strength...

16. UTChamps2005

UTChamps2005 < 25 Posts

Why this happens to the little ones sickens me. I pray for your daughter and your family. Be strong and know that He can heal.

17. ACE

ACE 100+ Posts

Prayers offered for your daughter, you and your family. I can not imagine this. Be strong for her.

18. Mitchell_McDeere

I have an update with good news. The melanoma did not spread beyond the one lymph node. Her CT scans also came back clear. Thank God and thank you for all your prayers. We head back to MD Anderson a week from today to discuss Marit's interferon treatments which are scheduled to begin August 3 in Dallas. She will take the interferon through an IV every day for a month, then receive shots three times a week for the eleven months after that. Interferon is intended to prevent recurrence and has been shown to lower chances of certain types of cancer from returning by up to 50% (although these studies are from treatments of adults, not children). The drugs will make her achey (like she has the flu) and moody (causes depression in adults). We will hopefully administer the treatments late in the day so she can sleep off the side effects. It will be a lifetime of monitoring for Marit, but she has been so strong thus far. I am so proud of her for being so brave.

If you have not visited the children's floor at a cancer center, there is really nothing to prepare you for the experience. It is at once, touching and tragic. The day we stayed over in the hospital, the floor was hosting a "Christmas in July" party for the patients, complete with decorations, Santa, etc. I thought how great of a party that must be for the children, when it hit me that the reason for the party was that some of the children wouldn't make it to Christmas.

Thanks again for all your thoughts and prayers for Marit. This next year will be tough on her, but I hope someday this can be a distant memory for her. I will never be the same after this experience.

19. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Mitchell,

This is, indeed, good news. I will continue to pray for Marit's full recovery and for her to find the strength to get through the unpleasant treatments. And you, too.

Every time I look down and see my Livestrong bracelet on my wrist, I think of your little one. May she live long, strong and healthy!

20. ACE

ACE 100+ Posts

Excellent news!

As both a father of little ones and somene who is dealing with cancer in the family, I have some idea of how you feel.

PM me if you need or want to talk to someone.

Again, excellent news, more prayers for continuing good news.

21. NationsNextt

NationsNextt < 25 Posts

stay strong and keep your chin up. she sounds stronger and more amazing than all of us

22. horn4life

horn4life 500+ Posts

continued prayers

23. mihm_rules_mom

mihm_rules_mom 25+ Posts

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

24. ckiems

ckiems 25+ Posts

continued prayers.

25. waazel

waazel 100+ Posts

Mitchell - Marit and your family have our prayers. Please keep us updated on how she is doing with the treatments, which I believe you said start today. Kids amaze me with how tough they are.

As someone who was diagnosed (early thankfully) with melanoma 5 years ago who is now the father of two kids (3yo and 3mo) - I worry every time I look at one of their moles.

26. Mitchell_McDeere

Well, we finished the interferon treatments last Friday and Marit is feeling much better. She got the port out of her chest and will begin receiving shots of interferon (much lower doses) three times a week for the next 11 months. We will be administering these at home (once the mail-order pharmacy stops messing around with us and actually gets the medicine here). Marit is getting her appetite back and has regained a little weight. We go back to MD Anderson at the end of October for another CT scan and x-ray to make sure the cancer is being held in check. Its been a long few months.

Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers.

27. Bevoette

Bevoette 1,000+ Posts

Continued prayers.

28. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Your family, especially little Marit, will continue to be in my prayers.

29. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Thanks to God for answers to prayers, and continued prayers for your family.

HHD [​IMG] [​IMG]

30. austinmama

austinmama 25+ Posts

I am so glad to hear the good news. My mother-in-law is also taking interferon injections for melanoma. Prayers to your family.