TX Footwear novice - boots

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by UWUTengineer, Nov 3, 2007.

1. UWUTengineer

UWUTengineer < 25 Posts

I'm relatively new to TX and UT so I've got a quick question about footwear in this area. When guys wear boots down here, are they the calf-high boots or the ankle-high "Chelsea" boots.

Any good stores or brands you'd suggest to one in this market?

2. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

It's been my understanding that the proper nomenclature is "boots"

3. crackamacgowski

crackamacgowski 100+ Posts

I don't think I've ever worn boots in my life. Maybe when I was a kid. Maybe.

4. LobWedgePhil

LobWedgePhil 100+ Posts

If you wear ankle-high boots in Texas, you may as well shoot yourself, or move.

5. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

If would advise -strongly- against the Chelsea boots.

Cowboy boots can get very expensive very quickly. I have had remarkable success shopping the 'reject rack' at Shepplers (otherwise quality boots with minor cosmetic defects).The day after Thanksgiving is a gold mine.

6. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

I probably wear cowboy boots (or @ least some variety of boots) about 350 days out of a year.

My 'normal' daily wear is a pair of Wolverine lacers (I like the ankle & arch support, plus it's got a large welt in the back & my spurs sit right on it quite nicely).

As for the cowboy boot style, the generic approved style is called a Roper (Justin is the more common brand) & it's not a full shaft boot; about 1/4 shorter.

Unless you want to look like an overweight redneck trucker or a '70's disco star, avoid the Fry's described /.

It's unfortunate, but the partial flat nose style is coming back in but I think it will be short lived. IMO, stick with a good black Roper; might cost you about $ 115.00 or less & eventually you might want to get a bit more adventurous.

I'm also a purely Wrangler wearing guy. For that "contemporary" look (it's been in style for about 15 years now), you want to 'stack' your pant legs, i.e. if you wear dress slacks with a light break @ the shoe, then get your jeans 2" to 3" longer & do NOT get a boot cut or a taper leg. Boot cut = too much like a bell bottom & taper leg will ride up & not slide back down your boots.

I prefer Cavender's for my boot source & mostly them for jeans (or wherever my 13mwz Wrangler's are on sale).

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. kangsta

kangsta 500+ Posts

The Link

click around there. those are fancy boots, but a great style. there are similar styles in cheaper brands. Ostrich are awesome

8. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

don't get any sort of ankle boots (if i am thinking about what you're talking about).

i have a pair of basic red wing brown ropers for work boots (going on 10 years) and a pair of lucchese 2000 full quill ostrich boots in the cognac/burnt orange color with the taller heel that i wear all the time.

9. ACuriae

ACuriae 500+ Posts

Similar to CaptainEd, I have had the same pair of Redwing 10" pull-ons with the cork sole for 14 years (since right after the TCU game in 1993). Those boots have been to approximately 100 UT football games, including about 8 bowl games, have been hunting in
    Texas, Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Mexico, British Columbia, Africa and South America, and have seen, walked on, and stepped in God-knows-what. Sadly, they now have an irreparable hole in the leather near my left little toe and will be retired--not thrown away--but retired. I'll get the exact same ones.

My advice to you is not to buy ankle boots.

10. TexasEd

TexasEd 1,000+ Posts

Don't get ankle boots.

Other than that you need to know what you are wearing them for:
    Walking
    Riding
    Hunting
    Working
    Fashion

Different boots for different tasks.

11. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

12. kangsta

kangsta 500+ Posts

NOOO

I just lost my pair of those Red Wings i've had for 5 years.. i lost them this weekend. Man that sucks ***. I am inconsolable

13. 12thStudStan

12thStudStan 250+ Posts

I replaced my last pair of Red Wings with Chippewa buffalo ropers and have never looked back. I also like Justin Tekno ropers and Lucchese 2000 crepe boots for knock-around wear. The most comfortable pair I have are deerskin but for overall comfort, durability, looks and value I would go with ostrich belly.

14. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

There's just this certain 'something' about crepe soles that I don't think I can pull off. They seem to look OK on other people, but I can't do it.

Don't wear these if you intend to horseback ride; they hang up in the stirrups too easily. Stick with a "semi slick' rubber sole or leather.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. C.L. McLovin

C.L. McLovin Guest

ROX, is there a place somebody can go to purchase your contemporary Wranglers for about 200 bucks? Street cred, y'know.

ROX is a western dude but a damned hard working fella.

16. next2naus

next2naus 500+ Posts

the only pull on Red Wings (IMHO) worth owning and wearing are the old "Peco's" ones. cork and rubber sole, brown leather. I've had mines since 1990, been resoled and healed many times. been burn, soiled, painted, and branded and they still look damn fine.

I also wear a pair of Luchaesse (sp?) 1883's damn near every day here in NYC

17. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

18. clandestine

clandestine 25+ Posts

Those are the exact Red Wings I have had for 5 years. I can't believe they discontinued them; they are awesome boots.

19. Lat22

Lat22 1,000+ Posts

I'm a Double H roper fan myself. Saddle vamp and a rubber sole that will still slide on a dance floor.
    [​IMG]

20. SouthernSooner

SouthernSooner 100+ Posts

I can't believe Red Wing has discontinued the Pecos cork sole. I've had my pair since 1994 and I still wear them all the time. I guess I'll have to make a trip out to Llano and venture over to EBay.

Damn...

21. kangsta

kangsta 500+ Posts

what are the chances of a place like Cavender's still having some in stock? When were they discontinued?

22. badexcuse

badexcuse 1,000+ Posts

No fear Redwing fans...lifetime warranty. Just take them into any store, and they'll restich, repair, etc for free.

23. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

i think within the last 6 months or so. honestly try calling any redwing store or looking up model 1178 online - it's thin.

24. Bookman

Bookman 1,000+ Posts

I've worn Justin Ropers forever. I have two pair -- one for when I wear jeans, and a half-quill ostrich that I'll sometimes wear to court.

25. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

Red Wing Model 1155
    now the closest thing they have - still similar but the heel seems to be about halfway between a roper and the taller "cowboy" heel.

26. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

I'm wearing a pair of 1178s right now. I don't think I'll ever take them off now.

So, if my old pair has a hole by the little toe just like acuraie's, will Red Wing fix that? It'd be cool to have two working pairs of 1178s. I'd be the richest man in South Austin.

27. S197HQQKEM

S197HQQKEM 500+ Posts

This is the red wing pair that I have Red Wing 3505

Pretty dang comfortable for steel toed boots with a puncture resistant sole.

They look great with jorts and a t-shirt for doing yard work.
    [​IMG]

28. kangsta

kangsta 500+ Posts

well since i lost my redwings last weekend and this thread freaked me out. i rushed out to cavenders to check. They didn't have any more, but i couldn't leave without buying a new pair. Got the Pecos 1132 .

The soles are rubber, but i figure after a while they will get worn down and look fine. I bet they will be pretty damn comfortbale too.

29. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

again, just fyi, i was out in llano a few weeks ago and hasse's hardware/feed/western wear still had a nice stack of deadstock 1178's. you may want to google them and see if they have your size laying around. about 1.5 years ago they were still cheaper than everywhere else too - somewhere in the range of $130-135.

30. kangsta

kangsta 500+ Posts

Thanks CaptainEd

Even though i already bought a pair of 1132's, I called Hasse's just for the hell of it. I figure why not buy two pair at once, right?

They still have them in stock and had a 12D with my name on it. They were on sale for $100 even. $8 dollar shipping fee to Houston. The nice woman on the phone said that the discontinuation has made a lot of people mad.

I love hornfans