TX-OU

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by theiioftx, Jan 8, 2020.

1. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

2nd half and no posts. I have watched for 10 minutes and I could not be less interested. When do we make a change?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

I’ve been watching and rooting for Texas Longhorn basketball since 1990. Through the good and the bad, the highs and lows. I’ve stomached it all. But I literally physically can’t watch this Shaka Smart coached brand of basketball anymore.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Granted I have watched much this year, but what I saw tonight was one dumb damn basketball team led by a clueless coach. who will be lucky to get a job coaching 7th grade boys basketball.

4. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I was at Texas 86-90. I watched the Weltlich years and enjoyed Penders resurrecting basketball. We are not a basketball school, but I cannot believe we are putting up with this product. The empty seats tell you everything you need to know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SAMMCHornfan

SAMMCHornfan 250+ Posts

I was definitely wrong when I thought Andrew Jones would be our x factor this year. I kind of thought he might put the team on his shoulders. Expected a big year out of Sims too. How can this team be this bad with the recruiting classes they have been pulling in. Man this is sad. I really used to love looking forward to the Horn basketball season. What the heck happened??? Your killing me, Shaka!!! Barnes bad teams were more fun to watch than this. What happened to bringing HAVOC???? So, who do the Horns look to next? Sort of the same as Garret coaching for his job. Sorry, but very, very frustrating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Please don't tell me Smart is "coaching for his job". That decision should have been made last year, not now. This year is just about $$$

7. YearOfTheSteer

YearOfTheSteer 500+ Posts

Did not watch the game but the stats seem to say it all:

FG - 37.5%
    3PT - 27.6%
    7 attempted free throws vs. 18 for OU

Simply pathethic. :whiteflag:

8. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

That's our signature and vaunted stand around and jack up 3's offense. It generates an amazing lack of movement and contact.

Being a tall kid even my middle school coach with an 8th grade class of about 60 kids would teach me to do anything I could down low to get the defender in the air first or to make him commit to one direction of movement. I could either guarantee contact in the air for free throws or change direction looking for the easy open shot or another open player. It's not really all that complicated but we do literally nothing to create this type of situation and he's paid millions to do it. I'd love to hear what Coach Geraldi would say about Shaka and his offense.

9. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

I floated by in second half to watch, made it about two minutes and moved on. My interest level in Texas basketball has fallen to next to zero. Hindsight is always 20-20 but we got rid of best coach in history of Texas basketball and didnt just take a step back, we jumped off a freaking cliff. :deadhorse:

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

FW,

But little Billie Powers established his legacy.

Which is more important - having a quality, competitive program, or feeding the oversized ego of a Berzerkley reject?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

what's Shaka buyout this year? I know we didn't pull the trigger last yr because of that...:puke:

12. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

Others will know for sure, but his contract is guaranteed so I think he will still be owed at least 9 million after this season. We probably bear this burden another year unless the fact that the new arena is looming outweighs eating his contract. We are looking at the very real possibility of a last place finish this year.

13. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I have a feeling CDC is feeling the grind on this decision. Keep Shaka and we continue to have zero interest in the program so the new arena opens empty just like the Erwin Center. Or pay Shaka to leave, start rebuilding next year and by the time the arena opens the city is more excited to fill it. I don't think anyone at UT wants to open a state of the art arena to dud attendance after the first couple games where people come just to see it and not the team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Shaka is a sunk cost. We are losing the money we gave him no matter what. However, if he is actually hired elsewhere, at least some of his pay would be offset.

Right now, we have to be generating next to nothing in basketball revenue beyond standard tv revenue. Surely it makes more financial sense to fire Shaka, have Shaka's salary partially offset elsewhere, and generate $ again in tickets, merchandise, concessions, etc.

I think the issue will not be CDC but whether Fenves will allow Shaka to be fired or force CDC to retain him for Bill Powers' legacy.

I would like to remind everyone that Shaka has made significantly more money every year than Barnes ever made in a single season. We paid him more money than Barnes ever made, gave a 7 year deal and extended it to 8 with a raise for having the same season that got Barnes fired! How is no one in the UT admin made accountable for this?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I watched until about 3 minutes left. The announcers were brutal in describing the poor shot selection, standing around on the perimeter, lack of rolling in the paint, etc. When another three bounced off the rim and the announcer said," another miss, that makes 3 out of the last 20 three point shots," then I turned it off for good.

And Shaka, stands on the sideline and claps. He really is clueless. He's got nothing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

well he took VCU to a final four which is like winning in the Big 12, right?

17. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

This is sarcasm, right^^?

I mean, whatever he did 5 years ago with VCU means nothing in view of what he has been doing (or not doing) since he's been here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Maybe if he had been paid what he was paid at VCU, he could coach better

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Also, Barnes usually waited until the second half of the season to get this bad.

Havoc is a very effective scheme at disrupting the offense, impeding it from having any flow or rhythm, and forcing bad shots. Unfortunately, we run it when we have the ball.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  20. SAMMCHornfan

SAMMCHornfan 250+ Posts

AWESOMENESS!

• Like Like x 2
  21. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

Of course, this assumes that shaka’s “offense” has any rhythm and flow to begin with, which I guess it does in the first 10 seconds of the possession when they players are getting to “their” spot from which they may not move.

• Like Like x 1
  22. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

I remember that VCU team - 4 seniors and a junior that peaked in the tournament. They dumped 5 of their last 8 which put them on the bubble, then they stole an 11 seed, then got hot. Bleacher Report ranked that VCU team the most surprising final four team in college basketball history. A total fluke.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020