TX v ISU B12 Championship Game

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by WCBBNUT, Mar 11, 2023.

1. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Harmon is a good PG, however, she needs to be able to knock down 3’s and have a 80% FT avg.
    Most teams sag off her to help clog the paint. If she could knock down the wide open 3’s they would not sag off to help in the paint.

hope she works on both in the off season.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I am bitching about the officiating here, but it is not what's costing us this game. We just haven't hit easy shots. I know their players have logged a lot of minutes over the past few days as well, but our defense taxes our players a lot more. The lack of depth with three games in three days is killing us today.

3. AustinTejasFan

AustinTejasFan 1,000+ Posts

What's weird is Vic being completely stumped by a zone.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

We just left 4 points on the free throw line

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

We have broken the zone time and again.
    Blown basket after blown basket.
    33 % from the field. 6 if 14 from the line.

• Winner Winner x 3
  6. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Exactly!

• Like Like x 1
  7. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

Pathetic game.

No one (even Rori) has any confidence in their game (except maybe Shaylee). Less than 50 points?

And yeah, they’ve missed chip shots. But that’s part of it. Taking inside shots is not breaking a zone. Having the poise to make them is.

I have liked what Muhammad and Jak have brought to the game today. But, still have lots to improve.

I’m not sure any result in the NCAA tourney would surprise me at this point.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  8. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Credit to Iowa State they played really well and did what needed to be done.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Well, I knew it would be tough to win 3 games on 3 consecutive days. Making it to today's final assured us of a #4 seed and sub-regional host site, IMO.

Not having a true defensive stopper (like Joanne) to guard Joens put us at a disadvantage.

10. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

You're right... making inside shots is what actually does it. But if you're getting those shots you are being successful in your strategy.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I hope Morris comes back our first game in the tournament. Her 3 point shooting is much needed. She’s not afraid to shoot which is what I like about her. Holle and Gonzales passed up to many open shots today.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Vic did an incredible job getting us this far (esp. with a conference Championship) without our best scoring threat, particularly with no depth. With Sonya, we destroyed this team. Without her, two losses in two road games. Have to just move on and make sure we don’t have these roster issues in the future. We did what we needed to do here by at least getting to the final. That should assure we will host.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Allowing ISU to get final baskets at the end of the 2nd and 3rd quarter for a total of 5 points was huge, especially with momentum. We're used to making those baskets ourselves, but that didn't fall our way today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

That was the most important thing this weekend. Yes, I wanted to win the championship to go along with the men's title. But, I'm thankful for the regular season title with no Sonya the last several weeks.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Again, it's not rocket science. The game played out just as you would expect. Sagging zone forcing Texas to make perimeter jump shots. This team plays hard but as I've said before, they struggle to score at a consistent level. Not having Morris will continue to be a big loss.

She showed that she was the teams best perimeter scorer/jump shooter. Unfortunately because of the injuries, I think that this team has a ceiling. Depending on the matchup, they're a sweet sixteen team and no better.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Do you believe she will be on and sharp after missing so much time? I hope so, but I doubt it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Its been fun guys, but this thread is now doomed for me. I'm moving over to the Selection Sunday thread where hopefully everyone is riding unicorns, getting their popcorn ready for 7pm, and ready to turn the page. If I was Vic, I would show up at the post-game presser without any players, say "well guys, we just couldn't make any dang shots", and then get the heck out of there and get the team home ASAP. We really don't need to hear another lecture about getting out-toughed again. We've heard it all too many times before. We just didn't make enough shots and may have lacked the fire-power to do it. That's easier to accept and move on to the next challenge. I have no doubt we have good players and they are really trying hard.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

Joens isn't the reason we lost. Just like yesterday when Wilson went off and the rest of KU's players did squat, Joens got her points. Our poor 3pt shooting cost us the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Gaston, Gonzales and Harmon All Tournament Team

20. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

33.3 % from the field. 21.4 % from three. 42.9 % from the free throw line.
    Make 3 more free thows. 1 more 3 pointer and 2 of Taylor's blown chip shots and we win this game...:thumbup:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Agreed. You have to be able to score. You can't always rely on holding the opposing team to 50 points. As some on here have mentioned, scoring/shooting the ball from the perimeter has to be emphasized and addressed during the off season.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I don't know about anyone else but I'm glad this week is over with. My hope is for us to just be able to hold whatever seed we're assigned in the NCAA tournament. We've had a lot of adversity this year, and considering that the season has been a success. I would call merely holding our seed continued success for the season.

• Agree Agree x 4
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I wish scoring wasn't so difficult for this team.

ISU is not a good defensive team inside as they lack height and strength; but, we make it easy for them to defend us inside when our perimeter players aren't shooting well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Two tired teams gutting it out and fouling a lot. Iowa State had the “toughness” to pull it out.

Ashley Joens is good. I’m glad we are finally done with her. That said, the refs seem to think you are not allowed to guard her. That’s my only complaint about the refs.

Holle and Gonzales not having an outside game today was the dagger. Morris would have been the difference maker.

This confirms my belief that Net Rankings make much more sense than the useless AP and coaches poll. We just saw #11 play #14. On any given night either could beat the other.

We’ll stay a four seed and they will most likely remain a five.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Is Morris totally gone for the season

26. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I think that she is done for the year. It seems to me that they're going to try to get her another year. In the press conference the other day, Vic mentioned that they have the potential to return everyone next year. Also the fact that she didn't participate in senior night.

27. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

It has not be announced that she’s done

28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

It's frustrating to watch when we struggle offensively. The shots were there, but our perimeter players were a combined 9 for 34 while our post players were a combined 12 for 29. While both are really bad, as a former post player that 12 for 29 that really makes me sick. It's especially horrible when I think that out of Gaston's four makes a couple of those were from mid range.
    So many missed bunnies.:brickwall:

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. GoHorns22

GoHorns22 25+ Posts

I thought fatigue, and the officiating both had an affect, but it would be nice to see some screens to open up shots. The dribble drive, inside out game did not seem to be effective against there zone. I was also frustrated with the officiating. It was ok to jam two or three bodies against our inside players while they shot, but they seem to call a foul against us if we barely touched touched them in the last quarter. They didn't seem to call body fouls both ways. Also, we just didn't have enough players to rest Rori, and Shalee who I think played every minute for three games in a row. I think there shooting was affected by their fatigue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Frustrating game, but isu knows how to beat Texas. Against isu you need a PG like a Brooke who can spread the defense out. With her 3pt shooting isu wouldn't be collapsing on our posts. Isu didn't even try to guard Rori at the 3pt line, they just doubled the posts. And more turnovers resulted throwing the ball into double/triple teams.

Obviously having Sonya would've helped too, but our posts couldn't even make bunnies. Fatigue may have been a factor, but it didn't slow down Joens. I also don't remember Brooke mindlessly throwing so many to the other team either.

I think Vic knows what he needs to get to the next level and I think we have some coming in for next year. At least isu won't have Joens and the gooners lose a lot too. OSU also loses a lot, but some of those may be getting an extra coved year, dunno.