TX v ISU B12 Championship Game

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by WCBBNUT, Mar 11, 2023.

1. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

How many 3 pt. attempts did Rori have? And as @old65horn mentioned, she needs to improve in that area next year in order to have a solid, balanced, offense. At least 35% from the 3 point line and 70% FT's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

We beat them 7 times straight before they won in Ames a couple of weeks ago, then again today. On both the last two occasions the same factor attributed to our losses... fatigue. Hoping the portal recruiting season will be a good one for us. We have a couple of holes to fill in our roster where experience and specific skills are needed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Good riddance.

riddance: the action of getting rid of a troublesome or unwanted person or thing.

Even with Soares back next season, no Joens = big hurt. The best back to basket game in women's bball.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  4. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Vic is 7-2 against Bill including knocking ISU out of the tournament last year. Give me a break on the Iowa knows how to beat Texas. You put one of our two injured starters in the rotation and Vic would be 9-0.

With Morris earlier this year we beat them by 15. :rolleyes1:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

My point also! :beertoast:

• Like Like x 2
  6. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Post game presser.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Yes. And there is so little emphasis on perimeter shooting in Vic's system anyway, and now no subs. I never see a screen for a guard to get a shot. When our inside players are surrounded by five sagging defenders, they are going to miss some shots. Rori's shooting woes are a serious problem for our team right now. Her drives to the basket didn't work tonight, and I don't remember her trying many of her mid-range jumpers. She turned it over trying to get it inside more than I have seen before. She is a great player, but we need for her shot to come back. Maybe it is fatigue, I don't know.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

When we fed the ball down low to Taylor, they collapsed everyone down on her. She was playing 1 on 4/5. Worked well for them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  9. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I don’t believe so defensively but she can shoot and isn’t afraid to shoot so opponent’s will have to respect her. If they play zone they won’t be able to leave her open like they donHarmon.

10. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

In the presser I can tell Vic knew his team was fatigued, but didn't want to make excuses or take anything away from Iowa State. That's a classy display of good sportsmanship.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Vic also seemed pleased with the defensive performance looking at the numbers. Their goal is 60 and they had 61 and he didn’t have much to complain about (including effort). It boiled down to making shots and we didn’t.

From my seat it sure appeared our bigs were getting fouled a lot on those missed shots that we’ve been making lately.

It was nauseating being surrounded by Cyclone fans. They make no attempt to hide their disdain for anything Texas including our fans and I couldn’t wait to get out of there quite frankly. What a bunch of whiners!

• Like Like x 2
  12. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

Yes, and just because she managed to put up a shot every once and while in that, I'd hardly classify that as "beating the zone".

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

If we can't hit from outside we could be an early out. I think we can/will. I don't think anyone can hold DeYona, Shaylee & Shay down for long.

14. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

IMO attacking the zone means you get into the paint rather than settling for outside shots. We did that. The fact that those shots didn’t go in was the issue and I think fatigue more than zone defense was the cause. But credit to ISU. They didn’t make anything easy for us and adjusted when our outside game never materialized. We were bad at it early in the season but had gotten much better. It was an off day for us and Joens had a stellar game.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Right... exactly. The times that the zone collapsed and doubled/tripled our post players keeping them from making a move are not the times that are considered beating the zone. It's the times we attacked it producing shots right at the bucket (most of which were blown) that we BEAT the zone and there were plenty of those. Thank you for explaining it.