TX v OU for MNC?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by OUsucksATMblows, Oct 12, 2008.

1. OUsucksATMblows

OUsucksATMblows 250+ Posts

Just a thought, but I was thinking about this before the game and I think it's a legitimate chance now.

IF (and it's still a big if) we win out AND blowU wins out too, it's a very good chance we will play them in the MNC.

Can you imagine a rivalry game of this sorts for the title?

2. The Horn Identity

The Horn Identity 500+ Posts

If I remember correctly, they added a rule that you have to win your conference to play for the BCS title.

3. homer

homer 500+ Posts

A BCS MNC championship is unlikely to feature two teams from the same conference.

The reason is psychological game theory: the coaches from other conferences will not allow this to happen and manipulate their final votes to prevent this.

4. homer

homer 500+ Posts

5. OUsucksATMblows

OUsucksATMblows 250+ Posts

I am aware of no such rule. Anyone have a link?

i agree with the physcological factor but think this may be a year where that doesn't hold up due to the fact that the big 12 is so strong and both teams play such a hard schedule that it's possible. There may be reverse physhology due to the fact that the game yesterday was so amazing and well played on both sides

6. ntexascardfan

ntexascardfan 500+ Posts

The computers should favor Texas and OU the rest of the way as long as we both win out.

7. Ivan Drago

Ivan Drago 250+ Posts

There's no written rule, but the human voters would make sure that it wouldn't happen with their votes in the final Coaches' and Harris polls, even if it meant radically altering their previous votes (see last year's final human polls for an example of voters significantly shifting their votes). .

8. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

Well, imo, i think ou and ut are by far the best 2 teams in the country, but i dont want to play ou again this year.

9. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

As I recall, several years ago a Texas-ou match for the national championship was also looking like a possibility. I think that some of us were frothing at the mouth about it .

10. Tommy_Grand

Tommy_Grand 500+ Posts

Of course, this will not happen.

11. Orange&White

Orange&White 1,000+ Posts

The BCS officials discussed this after Nebraska made the title game a few years ago but ultimately decided against it.

12. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

BCS Rules

Here are the rules for making the championship game:

1. The top two teams in the final BCS Standings shall play in the National Championship Game.

13. SoonerInAddison

SoonerInAddison < 25 Posts

I would love a rematch. Win or Lose, OU/UT in the MNC game would be an amazing atmosphere, especially down in Miami. Don't think it will happen, but would be awesome to see!!

14. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

I'd rather see us play Alabama.