TX v WV game 1

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by WCBBNUT, Jan 11, 2020.

1. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Women's Basketball Preview: Texas at No. 19 West Virginia [Jan. 12, 2020]

Texas [9-5, 1-1] at West Virginia [12-1, 2-0]
    January 12, 2020

Where: Morgantown, W.Va.
    Arena: WVU Coliseum [14,000]
    Time: 12:00 p.m. CT
    TV: FSN [Ron Thulin, Monica McNutt]
    Radio: 105.3 FM [David Garrett, Kathy Harston]
    Live Stats
    All-Time Series: Texas leads 12-6

NOTES

• The Texas women's basketball team stays on the road this Sunday when it travels to Morgantown, W.Va., to face No. 19/20 West Virginia. Tip-off in WVU Coliseum is slated for 12 p.m. CT and the game will be televised by Fox Sports Net.
    • The Series: Texas and West Virginia meet for the 19th time in the history of the two programs. The Longhorns lead the all-time series 12-6. Texas leads the series 4-3 when the game is played in Morgantown and the Longhorns have won four consecutive years in WVU Coliseum. Texas split the season series with the Mountaineers last season.
    • vs. The Ranked: Texas is 2-1 this season against opponents ranked in the Associated Press Top-25 at the time of the game. The Longhorns have defeated No. 1 Stanford and No. 17 Tennessee this year. Since the start of the 2015-16 season, Texas has earned 22 wins against ranked foes.
    • Double Trouble: Texas leads the nation with 19 double-doubles this season. Sophomore center Charli Collier and senior forward Joyner Holmes each have nine double-doubles, which is tied for seventh nationally. Senior guard Lashann Higgshas one double-double on the year.
    • Sophomore Strong: Sophomore center Charli Collier has had a breakout second year for the Longhorns. She is one of only six players in the Big 12 to be averaging a double-double with 13.8 points per game and 10.6 rebounds per game. Collier also ranks 17th nationally in rebounds per game and 29th nationally in offensive rebounds per game with 3.9. She is 17th in the Big 12 in scoring and 14th in field-goal percentage [.442].
    • On The Boards: Success on the boards has been a staple of Texas teams for many years. In fact the Longhorns have tied or won the rebounding battle in 127 of their last 153 games overall, including nine of 14 games this season. The Longhorns hold a +8.6 rebounding margin, which ranks 25th nationally. Texas has reached 50 or more rebounds in four games this year.

• WV Game Notes: https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/wvuni.sidearmsports.com/documents/2020/1/11/Texas_1_12.pdf

• Like Like x 1
  2. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

It’s going to be a long day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

They better shut down Tynese Martin. Averaging 16.3 PT’s per game. She has beat us before!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

They have proven they can win this game. They have also proven they can lose this game. I hope the team we need shows up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Could West Virginia be more different than Iowa State? I don’t think we’ll here Mike Carey “joking” about how physical the game is. Carey has more talent to work with than recently passed years I think. Besides Martin, Gondrezick is another high scoring Guard. Not too many shots left for other team members some nights. But Niblick is another high quality player. Then they have several “bigs” to battle in the paint.

6. Scamp

Scamp 100+ Posts

• poop poop x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

We're doing just what they want offensively -- Joyner and Charli taking 3 pointers. We have no chance if that is our main attack. All our shots are short, a sure sign of nerves.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

The woman announcing is one of the most annoying I've heard in a long time. I don't even understand most the points she is trying to make.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

Too many quick shots on offense. Too many turnovers. 12 already.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

It's like Jekyll and Hyde. I don't see WV doing anything spectacular on defense...it's just that Texas is flat, flat, flat.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

How many more years can Martin play at WV? Seems like she’s been there at least six already.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  12. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

C’mon Sug!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I really just don't get it:brickwall:

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

We have NO offense. Just hully-gully after the first pass. Seriously out coached!

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Both teams were hully-gully. That's what it's like against WVU, lots of one-on-one basketball. I don't agree that we were necessarily out coached. It was a wild game, with both teams making many mistakes and also some amazing shots. Talent level about equal probably.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Every game is going to be tight like this in conf for Texas.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

Won't be for Baylor. Texas will be destroyed mark my words.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • poop poop x 1
  18. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Well shoot. Thought we might pull it out there in the end. Two really stupid decisions and just like that... damn

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Why mark your words? It’s absolutely all you ever say. :rolleyes1:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  20. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Collier's stupid three point foul was a game changer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

Played well enough to win - except the 20 turnovers. That’s Karen Aston basketball. When they don’t turn the ball over (i.e. ISU), it’s an anomaly.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  22. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

you with your stuck to the 1986 mentality. Horns continue to wallow in mediocrity and you continue to support such performance.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  23. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Hahahahahaha. If anything, I’m stuck in the early 2000’s. Seriously is there anyone on this board that gives more kudos to Baylor than you? You are so one dimensional in your posts that they really don’t add much to the conversation. Just a very boring cut and paste...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Yes but in this game both teams had 19 turnovers.

25. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I don't think so. Its not like Texas was blown out by 25. They played well for the most part it was just those two possessions that made the difference. One thing I will say about Texas this season is that they do show up for the big games. They showed up and beat Tennessee and Stanford and barely lost to nc state which they should not have lost. All in all we match up very well with baylor. From what I have seen from baylor this season the key will be stopping smith. Cooper will be shut down by taylor and landrum will score but wont be the main factor so if Texas stops smith then it will be a good game

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  26. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

But they didn’t turn it over and lose the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Well you do make a very good point. The key is winning the game.:smokin:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Post more often Jacob.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  29. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Joe, WVU ran a very disciplined screen and cut offense always making the quick sharp pass when not open! How can you possibly say they were hully-gully? We made so many bad decisions my friend and that is coaching!

• Winner Winner x 1
  30. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Smith is not the key to beating Baylor. She is just a cog in a great group of players and Great coaching! Cox is the best player in the nation! Baylor will beat us by 30. They are just that good!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1