Typical from government

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by NEWDOC2002, Mar 8, 2010.

1. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

2. LHB_SOB

LHB_SOB 250+ Posts

How about we let people indulge in their right as Americans to make all the terrible decisions they want as long as they don't infringe on my right to make all the terrible decisions I want.

If I want to be fat, skinny, a smoker, a biker, a vegan, a douchebag, a rockstar ora teacher, I CAN! It's America.

3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

LHBSOB
    Absolutely and I know you would never then come back and expect the gov't to take care of you when you develop lung cancer or diabetes or need an organ transplant or become a veggie from too many drugs.
    But there are millions who don't have an sense of accountability or responsibility. They want to live as they chose and then think it is their right to have free medical care.

BTW this is not directed at anyone who develops a disease beyond their control. This is only for those who willfully abuse their body and then demand medical care as their right.

This idea of taxing bador fattening food is silly. But is there anyway to get people to make better food choices?
    Instead of taxing pizza what if we taxed obese people since we know there will be requiring plenty of meds to stay alive ? Kind of a prediabetes medical fund for them for later.

4. MaduroUTMB

MaduroUTMB 2,500+ Posts

If Obamacare passes, the executive branch will use this exact justification to exert control over people's daily lives.

5. hornyhoosier

hornyhoosier 500+ Posts

How about we just not give people free medical care and let them take care of themselves?

Yes, heartless, I know...

6. hooklahoma

hooklahoma 1,000+ Posts

7. alden

alden 1,000+ Posts

We could make huge strides by doing a few simple things. Consider reducing corn subsidies or removing soda from school lunches.

8. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

alden
    good suggestion . I think nearly every school in America no longer offers sugared drinks with meals and has replaced the soda offered in the machines ( which are a source of revenue to the schools) with sugar free drinks or taken the machines out period.
    Most cafeterias ahve also switched their meals to healthier lower fat sugar and carb meals.

I don't think kids are getting fat from what they eat and drink provided by the schools.

9. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Let's just have them send us approved menus so we'll know what to eat and what not to eat, and we can all not worry about those pesky dietary decisions.

10. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

George Orwell warned of this a long time ago. Once the govt gets control of what we eat, what's next?

11. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

If the government will just provide all of our food we won't have to worry about making bad choices.

12. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

well, we weren't exactly eating healthy **** when i was in school and i am 35. i remember lots of sloppy joes, pizza, fried steak fingers, etc.

although we did drink milk. i just don't see how things are much different at the schools. there have always been fatty foods at schools. just because they cafeteria "made" them didn't mean they were healthy or anything.

taxing junkfood is okay by me as a way to pay for the fat people healthcare, just as i don't mind paying out the *** if i choose to smoke. i am putting a greater burden on the healthcare system. however, if the researcher thinks this will actually decrease consumption.... they are idiots.

13. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

notreally, you've been making a lot of sense on this board.

BURN HIM! HE'S A WITCH!

14. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

15. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

16. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

17. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

We could make huge strides by doing a few simple things. Consider reducing corn subsidies or removing soda from school lunches.

This would be a great idea and might actually save money. unfortunately, before it leaves congress the bill will include a few highways, airports, parks, bridges, a new submarine and a new department with 5000 employees to run it raising the cost of the bill from $2.50 a kid to $10.00, only, the books will not show the loss because it will be included under a separate cost.

18. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

notreally
    I know you posted you had a lot of high carb fattening food when you were in school but that is not the case any longer.
    If there is a school district anywhere in the USA that has NOT cut out sugared drinks, has not refined their menus to offer healthier food and has not either changed what is offered in vending machines OR take then machines out altogether I'd be shocked.

All schools have made tremendous strides in the kinds of foods they offer as well as eliminating the surgar laden drinks.
    Schools are NOT the problem any longer.

We are the problem but it is easier to blame someone else, the school, the gov't, the ads on tv. anyone and thing but the actual participant who stuffs the food into the mouth

19. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

20. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

21. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

22. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

****, they would have to pay me to eat that stuff. i was bringing my daughter chipotle! nothing like a 2000 calorie lunch.

everything we do at DISD is dripping with bureaucracy. i can't imagine being able to show up and eat for free. might be different in other areas. i'm sure there is a ton of fraud there, but there are sooooo many more battles to fight.

for instance, about every school system in the nation has an online grade viewing system.... where you can log in and look at your kid's grades instantly. well, every school system but DISD. they have licenses for the teachers to enter grades (the admin side) but do not have licenses for the parents/students to view externally. this has been a big deal for us, because literally, almost every school system in the nation has this.

well, i was at parent teacher conferences last night and was informed we would be getting the licenses for my daughter's school. apparently, the cost of the licenses was only $2 per student. $2 ******* dollars. my daughter goes to the talented and gifted magnet and the PTA is pretty strong for a DISD school. anyway, that is only $800 for the whole school. that is NOTHING for our PTA. everyone just assumed it would uber-expensive i guess. i was dumbfounded. my child went to "russian camp" last year fully paid by the district... which was probably around $3000. she wasn’t the only one either. and we can't pay $800 for the whole school to view their grades?

priorities. free lunches to poor kids is so far down the list of entitlements we need to fight.

23. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

notreally
    well at least the corndog and tater tots were baked not fried.

wasn't there also fruit offered?
    and it is lowfat milk, Most schools offer orange juice which should be banned.

24. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

yes they were baked, but they had to be fried originally didn't they?

to be honest, i'm not even sure what they offer to drink. my daughter doesn't do milk. so she either takes a bottle of water or a coke from the house.

i don't have to worry so much about childhood obesity. my daughter runs track and has a skinny mom. however, if i had a kid at risk i would probably be much more worried about it.

25. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

No school in the entire state( and I am guessing probably the whole country) can offer any deep fried food so no they weren't fried. Too bad because I can't imagine how disgusting baked corn dogs taste.

The obesity problem does not come from the food the kids eat at school or in the snacks they take home.

To NewDoc's original point taxing high fat high carb high sugar food is not a solution to ease obesity. It is however a revenue generating tax.
    Doesn't NY already tax sugar colas?

Even Pelosi admitted the purpose of raising taxes on cigs was not to stop people from soking but to raise revenue the gov't needs. The problem with taxing ciggies so much is it hurts poorer people.

26. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

i actually went and looked up the menu for DISD, assuming it would likely be the same at all schools. apparently it is supposed to be..... but apparently it isn't. because i know at travis (daughter's school) they do not have near the options that are presented on the menu...... not to mention, i don't see "corny dogs" on there at all.

after viewing there menu, i'm feeling a bit misled. go figure.

disd elementary school menu

27. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

28. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

29. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Agreed. A flat tax on everybody is the best system because it limits the ability of congress and special interests to wield power.