Tyrone Swoopes is a QB

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by WashU-Horn, Feb 12, 2013.

1. WashU-Horn

WashU-Horn 500+ Posts

I really hope that Mack & Co don't go full retard here and switch Swoopes to another spot. Swoopes needs to red-shirt and be developed as a QB.

This staff has NO credibility when it comes to the QB position. Our dimwit HC and his staff would have played RGIII as a S and are currently playing Mykkele Thompson at S. I think it is criminal that Thompson wasn't groomed to play QB.

I have no faith in our HC and this staff. NONE! I haven't felt this way since Mackovic and the total incompetence at display last season has convinced me that our HC may mean well but doesn't have the goods.

2. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

[​IMG] How are VY and Colt doing since they left Texas?

3. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

4. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

5. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

i dont think playing mykelle at safety is a bad thing. in HS he was an athlete playing QB, as evidenced by his stats (something like 2000 yards rushing and only 900 passing).

i dont think he's cut out to be a college QB. maybe he'd make a better WR than safety (learning curve probably wouldnt be as steep), but i think it makes sense that he was recruited as an athlete and not as a QB.

6. georgecostanza

georgecostanza NBHorn7’s Protégé

If the dude can't learn to throw the ball, then he won't do jack crap. I realize that his receivers may have sucked major donkey balls at his school, but he still is not an accurate qb. If UT wanted a dual threat qb this class, they would have been better served by picking up Greg Ward, a UH commit, IMO. Ward will probably end up playing WR for the Coogs though, which I think is a big mistake.

7. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

8. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Thompson is not a college quarterback, try again with your comparison.

I think Mackovic did pretty good with James Brown, Morenz wasn't bad, and Gardere beat OU for the 4th time.

Not sure of your issue with our Quarterback play, from 2009-back to 1989, I can't complain much. I think Ash is good, maybe not great but good.

Is someone walking on your lawn again?

9. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

10. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I still remember I was working at the San Angelo newspaper when Morenz was about to head to Texas. We did a column/counter-column where I argued he needed to take the baseball money and run, and they all thought I had grown an extra head.

11. majorwhiteapples

I graduated in the Fall of 1993, so I was pretty much drunk from May of that year through December.

I didn't think Morenz was that bad, I guess he was, honestly that season I think was the year of the Freshmen, Brackens, Westbook, Carter, Van Malone, Neil maybe, there was Tubbs, Roesler?, another lineman, I can't think of, Brockmeyer maybe and Pinckney and Adams.

That was Morenz's first year at the helm....Anyway it was not like we had anyone else on the team unless you wanted to start the true freshman Brown. That being said I thought Morenz was an upgrade over Gardere, but then again Gardere did beat OU 4x's.

The point I was making is that we haven't had much to complain about from our quarterbacks, till now, since the late 80's. Even now I don't think our quarterbacks are that bad.

12. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

I agree with you ProdicalHorn. Anytime an athlete has a chance to take the money and run they shouid do it and not take chances. Sure I hate to lose them as a UT athlete but they shouldn't take the chance and lose money like Leinart did. He got paid good but he would have made millions more if he hadn't come back his senior year.

13. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Morenz was the quarterback when we lost to Rice 19-17 in
    1994. He went 18-39 for 163 yards in that black Sunday night fiasco.

14. Handler XIII

Handler XIII 1,000+ Posts

His Senior year disagrees with you. Hopefully, he can become a starter in 3-4 years. I think Ash will be good for the next 2 but didn't see anything from Brewer in the UA game or Spring Game.
    Hopefully a new coach after next season will change things...

15. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

16. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

17. agssuk

agssuk 1,000+ Posts

18. PropositionJoe

isnt he a RS freshman? or is a true soph?

he'll grow into the position. my point being is that his skillset/talents are suited for safety. how long it takes him to pick up the mental elements of the game is anyone's guess.

19. WashU-Horn

WashU-Horn 500+ Posts

Yes, and Denard Robinson's skill set is suited for a DB.

So, Michigan could have lined him up at DB and won 5 games or play him at QB and win twice as many games.

You recruit a player to win ball games. Period.

20. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

So....if a player has awesome QB skills let him play QB? Brilliant!

21. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

22. PropositionJoe

23. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

24. WashU-Horn

WashU-Horn 500+ Posts

Jeeeezus!!!

Robinson threw for over 2000 yards because HE PLAYED AS A QB. That is my point.

Look at the HS reel for Robinson and compare it to Thompson's. Then tell me who is a better QB? Robinson was offered as a DB by Michigan and declined to accept the offer. Scout even ranked/projected him as a DB. Michigan got desperate and promised him a look at QB. Denard was awful in 2009 and still looked very uncomfortable throwing the ball in 2010. Even today, he isn't particularly good at throwing the ball.

The difference is that Michigan saw his athleticism and stuck with him. They DEVELOPED him into a decent/average throwing QB because they realized that they needed an ATH at QB to win games.

We should have done the same with Thompson.

25. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

26. PropositionJoe

i disagree with you. denard and thompson are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

also denard's stats sucked as a freshman because he was used as a change up to tate forcier.

denard's HS totals were 4784 yds passing and 1132 yards rushing...over three years as a starter that averages out to 1500 yds passing and 370 yards rushing per year. that to me says athletic QB, not athlete playing QB.

then look at thompson's stats...his senior year he threw for less than a 1000 yards and rushed for 3000. that says that the coach knew mykelle was the best athlete on the field and put him at QB. mykelle is not an passer by nature. he's a runner. denard was/is both.

27. PropositionJoe

based on a quick google search it looks like onyegbule passed for more yards and TDs in high school than thompson did. should he be given a look at QB too?

28. majorwhiteapples

Until you put Morenz or Gilbert in that situation, do you really know? I think the coaches would have a clue, but as fans I think it is very difficult to our(or at least mine) eyes to translate HS highlights to success in college.

Morenz and Gilbert were highly sought after and we went and got them. The translation from HS to College wasn't there but who can make that translation every time.

We should have won that damn AM game!!!! If I remember correctly we were down by 6 with a couple of minutes left and inside the 2 or 3 yard line. We ran it all the way down there, moving big Sam Adams. We got to the goal line and passed it 4 times in a row or something like that.....my first frustration with Mackovic always having to trick someone with finesse!!!! I may be a little fuzzy on the details.

AM then went down and kicked a late field goal to go up by 9!!!! It would have been a great upset!!!!

29. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Swoopes isn't that fast. He would need to be a QB because that's pretty much the only position he is "athletic enough" to play. He was clocked at 4.9 at the Nike camp and Rivals (which always alters the numbers to make the high recruits seem more appealing) lists him as 4.8. Better than Ash, probably, but about the same as Garrett Gilbert.

I think with some work, his arm would be better than Ash's. But that's like saying with some work, my arm will be better than my wife's.

30. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts