U.S. vs. Algeria--Spoilers to Starboard!!!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by GemStateJim, Jun 23, 2010.

1. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

[​IMG]

So, this is it. Win and we're in. Lose and we're out. Draw and ... well, maybe we're in, maybe we're out.

Will the U.S. put its best foot forward? And for a full 90 minutes? First touch is less than two hours away.

[​IMG]

2. hellbunny

hellbunny 100+ Posts

Wonder if we'll be watching a Tale of Two Halves again.

3. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

4. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

What time does the game start?

God, I can't believe I even asked that! [​IMG]

5. kjgirl

kjgirl 500+ Posts

Way to go Texanne!

Bradley is starting Gomez in Findley's spot. I thought he might go with Buddle with I like Gomez. Let's hope we score quick and often

6. kjgirl

kjgirl 500+ Posts

Game is at 9am on ESPN

7. kjgirl

kjgirl 500+ Posts

Bornstein starting over Gooch

8. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

9. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Starting lineups are in, and frankly I'm shocked--Coach Bob has moved Boca over to center back in place of Onyewu and started the out-of-form Jonathan Bornstein in Boca's stead at left back. This is either genius or doom.

Also surprised to see Maurice Edu start instead of Ricardo Clark. I guess Alexi Lalas was right. And Bradley also goes with Gomez at forward (Findley is suspended for this match due to yellow card accumulation). I was hoping for Edson Buddle (the first time that sentence has ever come from my fingertips!) as Gomez is better used as a high-energy sub, in my opinion.

Still, here's the starting lineup for the U.S. (standard 4-4-2):

-----Altidore----Gomez----
    Donovan----------Dempsey
    ----Bradley-------Edu-----
    Bornstein------Cherundolo
    --Bocanegra---DeMerit----
    ---------Howard----------

10. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

And we're off!!!!

11. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Oh, and welcome to the dark side, Texanne. I hope today's match is worthy of your support!

12. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Jay DeMerit nearly allows another early goal. He went to clear a long ball and missed, allowing his marker to attempt a one-timer on goal that--fortunately for us--hits the post.

U.S. counters and Herculez drives a shot to near post that the keeper deflects wide for a U.S. corner.

13. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Pretty wide open match so far. Both sides settling for long-range efforts when it looks like they could be threading a few through-balls into the box.

14. hellbunny

hellbunny 100+ Posts

I guess we're going to actually play today.... wow, questionable offsides call

15. CottonEyedHorn

CottonEyedHorn 1,000+ Posts

16. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

A tussle at the top of Algeria's 18-meter area results in the ball bouncing out wide to an unmarked Herculez Gomez, who settles on the ball and blasts a point-blank shot that the keeper turns aside ... only to have the shot rebound back to Gomez, who goes for goal again.

This time, the rebound skitters to far post, where a waiting Clint Dempsey roofs it into the net ... only to be ruled offside.

Very close, but it appeared to be the correct call.

17. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

This just in: Jermain Defoe has put the Three Lions on top of Slovenia. If that result holds, then the U.S. must beat Algeria to advance.

18. Bill in Sinton

The point is that we don't need to worry about England. We control our destiny. We just need to win. Come on USA! Get some goals and win!

[​IMG]

19. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Keep those updates coming, please. I can only get the game on a cheap radio, in spanish, and no spanish is only so-so.

20. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Good pressure here from both sides with the U.S. perhaps having the better chances but still nothing to show for it.

Our through-balls are being telegraphed a bit too much, if you ask me. Very close to breaking through this Algerian backline--just need a tad more subtlety/spontaneity.

Just as I type this, Altidore misses a virtual sitter in front of goal.

21. CottonEyedHorn

CottonEyedHorn 1,000+ Posts

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere but Univision has a great online feed. Yeah it's Spanish but you get the "GOOOOOOOOOOL!!!" [​IMG]
    The Link

22. hellbunny

hellbunny 100+ Posts

One of these is going to go in... it definitely feels inevitable. Some beautiful opportunities just a half-second out of sync.

23. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Where is the nail biting emoticon?

24. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Sort of the obvious but to any people "giving it a chance" today, focus on what has happened, not what hasn't. Don't focus that the score is tied at zero. Focus on the nervousness you may have felt as each build up by each team unfolded. Each time a shot went wide or what you felt when our goal was taken away especially seeing what it means. We win, we move on. We tie, we do not.

Focus on each minute of drama and not that a point has been scored. Same as you would if in our football if a game was tied 21-21 at halftime. There is elation and a release of emotion even on close shots as it goes along.

Nervous anybody?

25. Bill in Sinton

Come on USA! Let's get some in! And come on Refs - do your job and stop blowing calls!
    This reminds me of a game our U19USA women lost to China because China held us off on defense and won on penalty kicks after a scoreless game. We had chance after chance to score. All through the game our kicks went wide or hit the goal bars and just wouldn't go in. It was a very frustrating game. Let's hope this one doesn't end this way. Come on USA! Score!

26. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

U.S. 0, Algeria 0--Half.

Well, the U.S. manages to play an opening frame of World Cup soccer without surrendering a goal. Unfortunately, the U.S. couldn't score one, either.

Despite the lack of goals, it was a very entertaining first half with both sides creating lots of chances and taking their shots. ESPN's Match Stats shows possession split 50/50 and shots also equal at 11 apiece.

The U.S. have had the better chances, however, including a goal disallowed for offside and an absolute sitter that Jozy Altidore skied over the bar. The Yanks also have four shots on goal to Algeria's one.

27. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Benny Feilhaber on for Herculez Gomez. Clint Dempsey rolls up top to keep the 4-4-2 intact.

28. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

This Univision feed is sick.

29. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

The pace has not let up. Both sides working their way up and down the pitch, spending a lot of time in the opposition's defending third.

30. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts