U.S. vs. Algeria--Spoilers to Starboard!!!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by GemStateJim, Jun 23, 2010.

1. groundss

groundss 100+ Posts

Thanks buddy!

To borrow a phrase from Jim Nantz...What a moment!

2. triplehorn

triplehorn 2,500+ Posts

3. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

This was a deserved result! Both sides fought valiantly and had their chances, but our Yanks enjoyed the better of them and finally managed to get one in.

Statistically, the match was very even. Possession was 51/49 in favor of the U.S. and shots were 22-19, also in favor of the U.S.

The real difference, however, was in the quality of those shots. Most Algerian attempts were speculative, long-range efforts.

Meanwhile, the U.S. missed a pair of sitters, hit the framework (the Algerians did, too, but theirs came from long range and would've been covered had it been any lower), and had a goal controversially disallowed for offsides. This disparity in quality is also refelected in the shots on goal--our Yanks had 10 to Algeria's four.

What an amazing effort! Just when it seemed our Yanks had given in to frustration and lost hope, they came through with the game-winning score that was every bit as scrappy as the players who authored it.

4. robc

robc 25+ Posts

It's interesting to see how the soccer world views this team. Here are some posted responses in the Italian main sport daily, La Gazzetto dello Sport to their note that the US had won on a late goal and finished first in their group:

Stepas They deserved victory and first place. It would have been a scandal (not that there haven’t been or will be) if the US would have been ousted... 2 valid goals in the last two games nullified. Sure, sure, no replays on the field, Mr. Blatter ...
    serieZ They absolutely deserved first place. For the U.S., I wonder if they can repeat the Confederation Cup result.
    Member_191879 Well done, they deserved first place. Humble and dynamic players.
    Member_289948 The U.S. is better than England. The USA deserved the first place in the group.
    arty.net Very good team with all heart, legs and a bit of tactics .... they fully deserve first place in the group .... and even after being deprived of two valid goals scored: D
    www.gazzetta.it/Speciali/Mondiale_2010/23-06-2010/stati-uniti-finale-col-botto-71198287688.shtml

5. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

I feel like linking them all, but I'll settle for this one. That's some serious ups!

[​IMG]

6. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Wow, thanks for sharing that, robc! Very flattering and heartening to see so much respect being given from international fans. Not too much of that in our history, and for good reason.

But this team is winning hearts and changing minds!

7. CenTex Horn

CenTex Horn 25+ Posts

8. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

More props to Rob for that link. I had not seen that. I have hit up some British sites as well as French to see reactions but had not seen that from Italia.

The Brits were bummed they were second in the group but had the same sentiment about the guts and heart of our team. The French are busy eating their young atop a Baguette and washing their misery down with whine.

9. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Oh, and Triple, you are so right. It is not a guarantee that zee Germans advance. Nothing is for sure in that group and each game will be hard fought for sure. No sandbagging, no hoping for a draw.

10. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

11. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

After our outcome and what the boys had to overcome and adjust to I don't take anything for granted. The least of what I won't take for granted is your scenario C! But I doubt that.

We are so lucky to get so much enjoyment when others moan about "off season". And Gem, you are a gem with your posts and contributions. All of you are but I had to make that play.

12. triplehorn

triplehorn 2,500+ Posts

If Ghana beats Germany, and teh Socceroos beat Serbia, it's Ghana #1, Socceroos #2 and through to the elimination rounds, so that's also a possibility.

High Stakes right about now.

13. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

14. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

15. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

16. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Loop, today was first time I have gotten to see that commercial and figure out what the heck you guys were talking about.

LOSSSS LINKKKKKKSSSSSS [​IMG]

17. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

18. Murphy'sBoy

Murphy'sBoy 1,000+ Posts

I'll bet that referee from Mali feels a bit better right now.

19. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I hope a Mamba bites him, his wife is attacked by a Lion and his kids bring home their new Pteradactyl to play with.

20. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Anyway, none of you ever answered my implied question: who would you rather the U.S. play against, Serbia or Ghana, and why?

21. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

You watch that whole game, and all the back and forths, and the shots going wide, or high over the net, then a few that seemed relatively easy were missed, or the goalies made good saves, or they clanged off the bars and dribbled harmlessly away...and finally, in the extended time, Algeria has a good shot at a goal, then immediately the U.S. comes back, gets a great shot, but it is once again stopped by the Algerian goalie.
    However, he doesn't cradle the ball, and it rolls out right in front of the net a few feet away. No one is there, for what seemed like hours, the ball just sitting there in a vacuum...when suddenly like shot out of a bow, Donovan the arrow arrives and easily crashes it home. That was a cool goal.
    I hope this game is on again tonight when I get home.

22. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I would say Ghana because to me it seems they can have lapses in focus. They seem to go in spurts. I think we have the defense to stop them and the offensive surge (when it happens) to keep them on their heels. We are quick enough with good enough goal keeping to counter a counter attack.

The Serb's seem too plodding but I have not seen much of them really. I also like Ghana and have a couple of Ghanianites as friends. (Ghanan, Ghanian...whatever)

23. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Ghana, we have unfinished business from '06. That phantom PK that deflated the US must be revenged!!!! [​IMG]

24. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

F-Dub and l00p, y'all got your wish!

Ghana has not been particularly impressive. My only concern is we will probably be favored, and our Yanks historically struggle in that role.

Does the revenge angle work four years later? I hope so. I'll take whatever edge we can get!

25. Roger35

Roger35 2,500+ Posts

Missed the game, was at work! [​IMG]

I've the got the same feeling as when the horns won the championship game!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]