U.S. vs. Ghana--Yo-ho-ho and spoilers for thee!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by GemStateJim, Jun 26, 2010.

1. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Starting this early because I've got to step out for my daily bike ride. I'll post starting lineups when I return.

In the meantime, why don't y'all tender some predictions? Include scores, rationale, etc. In F-Dub's round of 16 thread, I called it 2-1 for the U.S. in extra time. I'm not very confident, however, and, truth be told, my gut is telling me the opposite. Just can't shake this portent of heartbreak that's been hanging overhead all tournament.

But I'll stick with my prediction and hope for the best.

2. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Heading to sportsbar so I can watch the US transmission but I will be with you guys in spirit.

I like the US in this match but its the elimination rounds of the World Cup and anything is possible.

USA, USA, USA, USA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. triplehorn

triplehorn 2,500+ Posts

Ghana's energy and athleticism is what worries me the most. I expect any goal they score to be a result creating too many dangerous opportunities instead of a few carefully laid out and executed plays. I'm not sure if the stadium crowd will be a factor, but being the sole rep of Africa in the final 16 has to add some juice. The flip side is that the pressure could affect their finishing.

For the US, we've had 3 games in this WC to sort through the lineup and all the changes so far appear to have been positive. So I see our best soccer in front of us. I also wouldn't be surprised if Clint Dempsey puts a stamp on this game. Having Tim Howard in goal won't hurt our chances.

US scores first. 1-1 Tie to end regulation and US wins shootout.

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Great chance to advance soccer in the US.
    Paths likes this dont open up often.
    We simple must seize the moment.
    These guys can do it. They are tough. They do not quit. They never say die. They are in fantastic shape. We could not hope for better representatives (france holla!).

[​IMG]

5. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

noivous to say the least.

6. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Starting lineups are in, and there's yet another series of surprises. At holding mid, Bradley the Elder has started Ricardo Clark in favor of Maurice Edu. And the ineffective Robbie Findley finds himself back from suspension and back on the pitch. Maybe Robbie will be in rare form today and actually return to an onside position after a previous chance in his area goes begging ...

Oh,well. Coach Bob deserves the benefit of the doubt. Besides, it's not like there's a gulf in ability between the players in question.

On that note, here's the starting lineup for the U.S. (standard 4-4-2):

-----Altidore----Findley----
    Donovan----------Dempsey
    -----Clark-----Bradley-----
    Bornstein-------Cherundolo
    --Bocanegra---DeMerit----
    ---------Howard----------

7. groundss

groundss 100+ Posts

Lineup:

-----Altidore----Findley----
    Donovan----------Dempsey
    ----Bradley-------Clark-----
    Bornstein------Cherundolo
    --Bocanegra---DeMerit----
    ---------Howard----------

I would've preferred Edu...he's clearly the better player in my mind. But I won't question Bradley, he's been spot on so far with all his moves. Let's go Yanks!

8. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

And here are the starters for Ghana, aka The Black Stars (a 4-5-1 of sorts):

-------------Gyan-------------
    ---Ayew---Asamoah---Inkoom--
    -----Boateng-------Annan-----
    --Sarpei---------------Pantsil--
    --JohnMensah--J-thanMensah--
    -----------Kingson-------------

9. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

10. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

And we're off!

11. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

SPOILER

Hey, lookie here, whaddya know...we are down early AGAIN.

12. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

SPOILER!

Ghana 1, U.S. 0--5th minute.

Ricardo Clark with a terrible giveaway at midfield awards the ball to Kevin-Prince Boateng, who surges forward into the U.S. box and strikes a lovely left-footed shot that beats Howard to the near (left) post.

Another early goal allowed by this defense, and near-immediate confirmation of my doubts regarding Ricardo Clark.

/sigh

13. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

ALERT!

The U.S. has played 10 minutes without allowing a goal.

Just thought I'd share that as it seemed newsworthy.

14. triplehorn

triplehorn 2,500+ Posts

just another reminder of why I don't gamble. Ghana scores first, on their first opportunity, on a goal that looked very savable by Howard. bah !

my biggest surprise and disappointment so far is our inability to win loose balls and sustain possession.

15. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

ALERT!

The U.S. has gone another 10 minutes without allowing a goal. I will continue these sarcastic updates until my bitterness abates and I am satisfied.

16. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I will continue to read them with the same angst and bitterness you possess. At least that means we did not go down another goal. Why did I just type and send this?

17. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

ALERT!

The U.S. has gone another 10 minutes without allowing a goal. For those keeping track at home, that's thirty minutes of scoreless soccer!

18. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Largely outplayed? I disagree with the tv commentators. We have been massively outplayed so far.

19. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I am glum faced and silent as I watch it in the U.S.

20. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

ALERT!

The U.S. has gone another 10 minutes without allowing a goal. The defense has now kept a clean sheet for 40 minutes. Unfortunately, the first half was 45 minutes long.

21. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

SPOILER!

Ghana 1, U.S. 0--Half.

A deserved lead for the Black Stars, who have outshone the U.S. by orders of magnitude. Despite the early score, Ghana dominated the U.S. in shots (9-5), shots on goal (4-3, two of which for the U.S. were loooong-range efforts from Dempsey) and possession (56 percent-44 percent).

Our Yanks have shown a lot of heart all tournament. Hopefully, today will not be an exception.

22. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I predict they go another ten minutes!

23. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

You're feeling flat? So am I.

And, apparently, we're not the only ones ... *looks anxiously in the direction of the U.S. men's national team*

24. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

The U.S. makes its second sub to start the second half as the ineffective (and that's being kind) Robbie Findley gives way to Benny Feilhaber. Dempsey rolls up top to preserve the 4-4-2 formation.

Earlier, at about the 30th minute in the first half, Ricardo Clark went out for Maurice Edu, who a few here seemed to think should've started.

25. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Nice save by the Ghanianite keeper. Let's hope that Benny's presence continues to have this affect on our boys.

26. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

ALERT!

The U.S. defense did not allow any goals during the halftime break. Surprising, I know. The good news just keeps comin' ...

27. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

ALERT!

This alert is the last defense-related bulletin I will issue. My anger has abated. Besides, the focus now has to shift to scoring points.

28. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

C'mon......................................get this..............................

29. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

SPOILER!!!!

PENAL, PENAL, PENAL!!!! Clint Dempsey has earned a penalty kick!!!! Who will take it?

30. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS