U.S. vs. Ghana--Yo-ho-ho and spoilers for thee!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by GemStateJim, Jun 26, 2010.

1. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

If we go down to a goal like the one Ghana had to go ahead I can live with that. It was a pretty well called match by the ref's, there was not a lot of overly chippy play and again, that goal was magnificent.

I hope we pull another rabbit out of our hat but if we don't, well, this is not so bad. At least it was not a gift from the ref or from flopping.

2. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

The Black Stars milking the clock now ... but who can blame them? Less than nine minutes left ...

3. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

SPOILER!

Ghana 2, U.S. 1--115th minute.

Five minutes left.

4. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Milking? You mean the guy who fell down on his own and pretended to be dead? I guess he is Jesus Christ since he rose from the dead. I understand the slow walking off the field but that dude laying down. f**k him.

May his family be molested by a Rhino wearing a shirt after thumping his leathery foot on the ground.

5. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

We have had our chances to score. I think we may have run out of miracles but a great ride anyway. GO USA!

6. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Four minutes ...

7. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Three minutes ...

8. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Bill, four minutes short of focus? Not yet Bill, not yet. Focus.

9. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Two minutes ...

Ghana doing a great job of killing clock and thwarting the U.S.'s tired attempts to create chances.

10. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

One minute ...

Surely a minure or two of "injury" time will be added.

11. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Three minutes of added time, and then it's all over unless the U.S. can equalize.

12. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Final minute.

13. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

How cool would it have been if a header by our goalie tied it up? Just dreaming and wishing but still, it'd be cool.

14. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

SPOILER!

Ghana 2, U.S. 1--Final.

Congrats to the Black Stars, who deserved the win for capitalizing on their two best chances.

Heroic effort from our Yanks, but it's an unforgiving sport. You can't always spot teams leads and come up with miracles.

Be proud--disappointed, but proud. Only one team gets to walk away from this tournament without heartbreak.

15. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Well, that's it. We come home, Ghana stays. Congrats to them and that second goal was amazing.

Our guys gave it what they had and tried their hardest. It was not meant to happen today. I will root for Ghana over Uruguay for sure.

Proud of our guys.

16. kjgirl

kjgirl 500+ Posts

17. longtex

longtex Guest

18. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

19. kjgirl

kjgirl 500+ Posts

I wish Feilhaber would have started.

There is still plenty of other World Cup games to watch, then the US vs Brazil friendly in August, several MLS games and international club friendlies and the next summer the Women's World Cup and then we have the olympics and Euro Championships...I will survive

20. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

21. longtex

longtex Guest

22. 1899horn

1899horn 500+ Posts

This is why footie is the most beautiful and unforgiving sport in the world. The US fully deserved to win, but Ghana's keeper came up huge when he needed. And Gyan' was every bit as good as Suarez' winner this morning. It takes goals like that to advance in the world cup.

I am proud and happy for the US players who finally got to experience what the rest of the teams in the tournament enjoy, which is the unconditional support of its country.

Go yanks.

Congratulations, Ghana. Go get the Celestes.

23. longtex

longtex Guest

24. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

25. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Well that was a long walk home from the bar. [​IMG]

I have never been a fan of Bob Bradley and his incomprehensible decisions on the starting lineup just sealed the deal on his need to go now. What in the world were Ricardo Clark and Robbie Findley doing in the starting lineup. Both made monumental errors, Clark on defense and Findley with an inability to finish that he is prone to on a breakaway one on one with the goalie.

If the US were more of a soccer mad nation there would be calls for Bradley's head for his amateur hour starting lineup today.

The US backline has been the big gaping weakness the entire tournament and once again gives up an early goal off a giveaway and the failure of two defenders to be in position. The last goal was almost a carbon copy though it was a fantastic finish by the Ghanian.

The truth is that the US goal all along was the round of 16 and while it is disappointing to go out in added extra time, this team accomplished a lot winning its group and making the elimination rounds. That is three of the last 5 W/C's with the US making it to the round of 16.

A healthy Davies, a healthy Onyewu and who knows what could have been accomplished. For now the need to replace Bob Bradley should be self evident [​IMG]

Ahh well time to become an England fan for the next 24 hours.

26. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I am for sure a Ghana fan and will be rooting for them. I am an English side supporter too for the next day or so.

I thought about you and your trek to wherever it was you watch games. I suggest you go hang out on the beach or something for the rest of the day. I am going to mow my lawn.

27. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Sadly loop we are getting lashed by the bands of TS Alex and the rain is pretty heavy so no beach time to get over this defeat. I will say this, Ghana deserved to win. They were faster, more aggressive and took advantage of the USA errors on the backline.

The US was tentative to start and paid the price for starting slowly again. If his starting line up written in crayon wasnt enough reason to be angry at Bradley about today his failure as a coach

FOR THE FOURTH STRAIGHT GAME [​IMG]

to get his team to start well should be the signal that Bradley must go. I know the US media love him but he is truly a third tier coach and the USA can and should do much better. [​IMG]

28. longtex

longtex Guest

29. kjgirl

kjgirl 500+ Posts

30. midwayhorn

midwayhorn 100+ Posts

I've seen better backline performances in high school soccer.