UCF

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by mb227, Dec 1, 2018.

1. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Well, unlike some other teams we know of, they took care of business and make for interesting conversations.

Was impressed with the way they came back after twice being down 17 with their back-up QB...a QB insertion that supposedly made their game today a moot point.

Sadly, they will be omitted from the playoff but they should get a New Year's Six spot...if they do not, they will have again succeeded in showing what a farce the entire process is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. diverdown

diverdown 100+ Posts

Yep. I wonder what a team not in the Power 5 has to do to get in. I realize SoS isn’t there, but to not have a loss in two seasons is so dang impressive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

And it isn't like they beat some Famous Potato bowl scrub last year or got relegated to something else on the Smurf Turf...they gave a team from the mighty SEC-SEC-SEC a third loss on the season (Auburn).

Quite honestly, I believe they beat Texas worse than anyone else did this season...even with their backup having played a full game since being named the starter.

4. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Nothing. Even if they join a P5 conference, they'll still get treated differently due to the name on the front of the jersey (see TCU in 2014).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

@Statalyzer is correct. The 4 team playoff was supposed eliminate multiple claims for a national title. Instead, by having less of an avenue into the title then the BCS, it is actually made the problem worse.

While I personally only acknowledge consensus national champions named by the AP or Coaches Polls, there is nothing to stop UCF from claiming another one if they win their bowl. While I disagree with their claim, it would not be entirely bogus.

I like the idea of doing away with conference title games and having an 8 team playoff with the first round being at home sites during conference championship week. Rematches and matchs like Pitt v. Clemson are dumb. Have 5 automatic qualifiers and 3 at large for the 8 team playoff. If a non power team is undefeated, they should get a spot to either prove they are the best or be precluded from claiming a national title. After the first round, decide the bowl games from there meaning losers in the first round still play in bowl games. That is the way to go.